painting my 72 olds cutlass gecko/ lime green

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2021 | 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
The top looks nice, the blacked out CS emblem is perfect on there.

someone mentioned newer cars w no vinyl tops i passed by a lime green challenger w a black top! I thought huh, closer inspection showed it was plasti dip top not vinyl. From 20 feet and 20 mph it looked nice.

yours will look nice from 2 feet tho.
Thanks! I saw a challenger that had a stripe as wide as the hood go across the roof and down the trunk and it looked pretty good. Im really liking the vinyl top more and more it kind of reminds me of a scaley lizard skin, or in my case a gecko skin.
Old October 1st, 2021 | 05:31 PM

The top looks dead nuts. And hell yes on the Blacked Out CS emblem. Keep up the good creative work, you are making it yours!

Old October 1st, 2021 | 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dans72
Either I paint my beautiful polished aluminum american racing wheels or I order a set of these... I'll save some money painting mine but I'll save the wheels buying these......
Did you buy your wheels yet?

Check these out they remind me of the Classic SSI's 510C Magnum - Chrome / Black Inserts Rim by Cragar Wheels - Performance Plus Tire
https://images.app.goo.gl/ZK4ZrGVs2hq44q4o8

Last edited by otto72; October 1st, 2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old October 1st, 2021 | 07:08 PM

I think the Gecko Green is looking better than I thought it would. My "Drag car" ('70 Cutlass) is in the body work stage and I am getting close to time to make decisions. It won't be a "restoration" but more of a custom or restomod outside.
Seeing pics of your car has convinced me to paint the bumpers and not put the wing on.
325/50R-15 tires: I will get a pic and post it soon. The car is inside and kinda hard to get pic right now.
Old October 1st, 2021 | 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
I think the Gecko Green is looking better than I thought it would. My "Drag car" ('70 Cutlass) is in the body work stage and I am getting close to time to make decisions. It won't be a "restoration" but more of a custom or restomod outside.
Seeing pics of your car has convinced me to paint the bumpers and not put the wing on.
325/50R-15 tires: I will get a pic and post it soon. The car is inside and kinda hard to get pic right now.
Damn. 325 / 50's? Those fit huh?
Old October 1st, 2021 | 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Damn. 325 / 50's? Those fit huh?
Yup. And here is a pic of the tire tracks to burn the "mold release" silicone off. I need to drop the tire pressure and do some rear suspension adjustment.

Old October 2nd, 2021 | 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by otto72
The top looks dead nuts. And hell yes on the Blacked Out CS emblem. Keep up the good creative work, you are making it yours!

Thanks!
Old October 2nd, 2021 | 05:23 AM

Did you buy your wheels yet?

Check these out they remind me of the Classic SSI's 510C Magnum - Chrome / Black Inserts Rim by Cragar Wheels - Performance Plus Tire
https://images.app.goo.gl/ZK4ZrGVs2hq44q4o8

No I didn't buys wheels I have decided to go all the way and paint my wheels black since I really like the American racing wheel I found a picture of what it would look like and really really like it

I'm thinking about doing red pin stripe around the edge.
And those magnum wheels do look very nice i personally think they look a little bit to classy for the look I'm going for though.
Old October 2nd, 2021 | 05:43 AM

Thanks! I'm liking more than. I thought I would too the more I put it together! Your car sounds really cool! And I'm glad people can see My build to give them ideas because I don't know how many times I've scowerd the internet looking for 68 69 70 71 72 cutlass to get ideas for my car, it's a real help for me heck I got the idea of painting my side light marker green from the plymouth barracuda!

Here's mine
Wich you also reminds me I ordered tires, mounted them last night and they look great! Mt-6653 26x10x15 and mt-6641 28x12x15 I love you fit the 12.8 wide tires on yours thats sick!

Rear

Front

Rear

My only issue is I have the 28x12x15's mounted on 8 wide wheels so it doesn't make the tire as wide as it should and did a lot of research and found out a lot of guys are doing this so I'm gonna leave it like this until I decide I want to spend the extra coin for the 15x10 American racing wheel since I looked and they're 400 a pop!!!!! It made my eyes pop!! so I sayed to myself I can do that later.and since I don't have a girlfriend yet I can justify spending that!

Last edited by Dans72; October 2nd, 2021 at 05:51 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2021 | 09:07 AM

Thanks! I'm liking more than. I thought I would too the more I put it together! Your car sounds really cool! And I'm glad people can see My build to give them ideas because I don't know how many times I've scowerd the internet looking for 68 69 70 71 72 cutlass to get ideas for my car, it's a real help for me heck I got the idea of painting my side light marker green from the plymouth barracuda!

Which you also reminds me I ordered tires, mounted them last night and they look great! Mt-6653 26x10x15 and mt-6641 28x12x15 I love you fit the 12.8 wide tires on yours thats sick!

My only issue is I have the 28x12x15's mounted on 8 wide wheels so it doesn't make the tire as wide as it should and did a lot of research and found out a lot of guys are doing this so I'm gonna leave it like this until I decide I want to spend the extra coin for the 15x10 American racing wheel since I looked and they're 400 a pop!!!!! It made my eyes pop!! so I stayed to myself I can do that later.and since I don't have a girlfriend yet I can justify spending that!
I'll think about painting the side marker lights. I hadn't even thought about that.
Those are some nice tires !!!! I went with 235/70R-15 (6 inch wide rims) on the front and the 325/50R-15 (10 inch wide rims) on the rear. With a warmed over 455 and 4.10 rear gears, the "big meats" can be churned, from the pic posted. I need to lower tire pressure til I get a nice 12" wide black mark on both sides. I will run 275/60R-15 (8 inch wide rims) for general cruising. Thanks for sharing what you are doing.
Old October 2nd, 2021 | 10:32 AM
72 Olds CS

No I didn't buys wheels I have decided to go all the way and paint my wheels black since I really like the American racing wheel I found a picture of what it would look like and really really like it

I'm thinking about doing red pin stripe around the edge.
And those magnum wheels do look very nice i personally think they look a little bit to classy for the look I'm going for though.

i like the side marker trim body color too!

those rims look tight black and i think better than the others.

you know the red stripe will look good, but i gotta tell you right now, theyre all going to laugh at you
heres what happened when someone else tried that !,!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...better-138783/

still hurts !! lol....actually i still have that setup i still like the stripe but like everyone else not the rims!

Old October 2nd, 2021 | 10:54 AM

i like the side marker trim body color too!

those rims look tight black and i think better than the others.

you know the red stripe will look good, but i gotta tell you right now, theyre all going to laugh at you
heres what happened when someone else tried that !,!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...better-138783/

still hurts !! lol....actually i still have that setup i still like the stripe but like everyone else not the rims!
Ha ha! Thanks for that, Im glad you shared your experience! My tires have no white letters so I guess we'll see

The grills had this tit that was sticking out and it was hitting the center grill panel

Preventing it to seat properly

So I had to grind the **** off so it would seat properly

I'm probably going to spend a loooooooot of time tweaking the fenders, doors and hood to align everything..
Old October 2nd, 2021 | 05:55 PM

I'll think about painting the side marker lights. I hadn't even thought about that.
Those are some nice tires !!!! I went with 235/70R-15 (6 inch wide rims) on the front and the 325/50R-15 (10 inch wide rims) on the rear. With a warmed over 455 and 4.10 rear gears, the "big meats" can be churned, from the pic posted. I need to lower tire pressure til I get a nice 12" wide black mark on both sides. I will run 275/60R-15 (8 inch wide rims) for general cruising. Thanks for sharing what you are doing.
Thank you! It sounds like you got a little animal under your control! I like the switching tires idea and I'd like to see that 12" black mark on the street!
Old October 2nd, 2021 | 06:06 PM

Took Me a while to align the doors and fenders and might even have to spend a little more time with aligning but so far so good!

I figured I'd take a picture of what the inside of this looks like just for the heck of it

Driver side

I'd say a good Saturday's worth of work.

I love the doro handles!
Old October 3rd, 2021 | 06:30 AM

Totally Amazing, I Love it!
Steve
Old October 3rd, 2021 | 07:10 AM

Good day for sure. The door handles do look great black. How are the gaps lining up? kinda being a pain in *** or not so bad? The painted bumpers look amazing with the rest of it, you gotta be getting stoked. The new tire look nice and tucked in, nice fatties

Last edited by otto72; October 3rd, 2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2021 | 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
Totally Amazing, I Love it!
Steve
Thanks Steve!
Old October 3rd, 2021 | 10:10 AM

Good day for sure. The door handles do look great black. How are the gaps lining up? kinda being a pain in *** or not so bad? The painted bumpers look amazing with the rest of it, you gotta be getting stoked. The new tire look nice and tucked in, nice fatties
Thanks! The gaps are a bit of a pain in the *** because I scratched the paint on the strip right under the corner of the door trying to align and will have to touch it up later. I'll send some
Pics later and show you what I've got with gaps and yeah I'm totally stoked and can't put it together fast enough but I know I gotta take my time on this so it's not a sloppy job

Last edited by Dans72; October 3rd, 2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2021 | 12:53 PM

What do you guys think about the gaps between the doors and fenders? Did I do alright? Are there any tricks to align them better Besides time?

I think they look pretty good.
Old October 3rd, 2021 | 03:08 PM
72 Olds CS

The drivers side is probably pretty close to factory tolerances I think you can do better on the passenger side.

if your hinges are at all worn they sell a rebuild kit, make sure theyre in good shape first.

the door to body gaps should be next

then fender to door gaps, you may need to add some shims at the core support to get better gaps.

full disclosure, mine are probably no better than yours.
Old October 4th, 2021 | 02:56 PM

I was just looking into what is involved in pulling the front fenders and saw in the CSM the gaps were pretty tight, I think it said 1/8" on the front edge, not sure. It really looks good, but the PS probably could go forward a bit. No matter what, I mess with this stuff forever and it never gets better. Some guys have all the Luck!, not me.

Steve
Old October 4th, 2021 | 03:15 PM

I was just looking into what is involved in pulling the front fenders and saw in the CSM the gaps were pretty tight, I think it said 1/8" on the front edge, not sure. It really looks good, but the PS probably could go forward a bit. No matter what, I mess with this stuff forever and it never gets better. Some guys have all the Luck!, not me.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I'll definitely measure when I get home and now that I'm looking at the pics myself there is no way I'll be able to forget about that Ps door!!! Once I saw it I can't unsee it!
Oh ps whats (CSM)?
Old October 4th, 2021 | 04:45 PM
72 Olds CS

chassis service manual = CSM
Old October 4th, 2021 | 06:54 PM

OK thanks. So I changed my mind and decided to go for the rims and just finished installing two of them and I really like it! It males the car look a little more aggressive and I love that.

Front wheel

Rear wheel

So instead of the 7 and 8" ar wheels these are 8 and 10" and it's hard to tell in the camera but they definitely make the tires wider and I feel I'm actually getting that wide 12" section wide and not like the 8 where I felt I was missing that extra wide look and am very pleased

I think thwy look pretty aggressive and I'm most likely painting them hotrod black for that extra spice and since there not really "bling" wheels I think that will help draw attention to the body and the wheels will be the after thought.

I layed the hood on and dude it looks awesome! I still need to lower the front and rear one more inch and since I already have the 2 inch lowering springs in my closet from a while back I'll just switch them out with the 1 inch lowering springs and it'll fill the gaps a little better. I'm really getting stoked!! by the time I'm done with the car I'll feel like I'm 40! 🥵 I think i'm ready to settle down and take it slow.... . Yep im that lazy.
EDIT honestly this picture kind of makes the car look really bad

Last edited by Dans72; October 4th, 2021 at 08:47 PM.
Old October 4th, 2021 | 08:36 PM
Banned

Thanks for spelling. Remember when people used to spell?
Huh...weird. Spelling words?? HWHFT....
Old October 5th, 2021 | 06:14 AM

I won't get offended If everyone is like (I think those wheels look absolutely atrocious compared to the ar ones I can't believe you did that!!!!) I'm actually kind of waiting for it but it's OK I can take the beating and I'm gonna be honest I know after a little while I'll order those 10's but for now I I'll settle on these .. I will update if later on I go with the AR wheels. I got these wheels for a nice price so I'll make the best of it

Last edited by Dans72; November 9th, 2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old October 5th, 2021 | 06:56 AM

If I could snap my fingers and half the ar wheels I would, but alas, backorder / 400 a pop says no and I ain't loaded, barely keeping up with mortgage, the wife and kids, so close but no cigar............... OK ok enough!!! I'm done horsing around!!!

(End of rant)

Last edited by Dans72; November 9th, 2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old October 5th, 2021 | 08:02 AM

Big old heavy doors are tough to handle and get exact I'm sure but here is the info from the Fisher Body Manual. Personally I all to often say "Good Enough" I just realized one of the pics is for an F body.
Steve

Old October 5th, 2021 | 08:03 AM

I meant a 4 door
Old October 5th, 2021 | 08:16 AM

This is really great! Thank you for sharing Steve!
Old October 5th, 2021 | 08:25 AM

I love the Old School Muscle updated Mean look of your car!
Steve
Old October 5th, 2021 | 08:37 AM

I love the Old School Muscle updated Mean look of your car!
Steve
Thank you steve, the wheels for me are the thing I had to keep to retain just a tad of the old school look when everything else is modernized I just wish it would handle as well as say a 17 inch wheel
Old October 5th, 2021 | 09:26 AM

I just really noticed how out my PS fender is as well. The DS is correct. I suspect it had a minor fender bender at some time. I think the fender needs to go back a bit, not the door. I start on this stuff and get nowhere and after a while I just give up and "good enough" becomes the result. Your wheels look good and having the extra width is really great.
Steve
Old October 5th, 2021 | 10:25 AM
72 Olds CS

Any center caps for the wheels ?

i used some us mags wheels and the ctr cap said usmags, but was also the right size for an olds SS1 ctr cap olds logo sticker!

i liked the first set of rims better, and even better when you showed them in black, but these w the tires are appealing, just a preference thats all.

better handling can be had easy enough! Good gas shocks, good springs, Bigger front and rear sway bars, fast ratio steering box, tubular fr control arms, fe2 rear frame brace, bbo fr fender brace. These parts would make a big difference and a good start. Also note i said easy not cheap.....thats probably a $2k minimum w careful selection shopping list, and easily a lot more w hotchkiss or global west stuff.
Old October 5th, 2021 | 02:59 PM

I just really noticed how out my PS fender is as well. The DS is correct. I suspect it had a minor fender bender at some time. I think the fender needs to go back a bit, not the door. I start on this stuff and get nowhere and after a while I just give up and "good enough" becomes the result. Your wheels look good and having the extra width is really great.
Steve
Yeah I hear you on that and thanks
Old October 5th, 2021 | 03:35 PM

Any center caps for the wheels ?

i used some us mags wheels and the ctr cap said usmags, but was also the right size for an olds SS1 ctr cap olds logo sticker!

i liked the first set of rims better, and even better when you showed them in black, but these w the tires are appealing, just a preference thats all.

better handling can be had easy enough! Good gas shocks, good springs, Bigger front and rear sway bars, fast ratio steering box, tubular fr control arms, fe2 rear frame brace, bbo fr fender brace. These parts would make a big difference and a good start. Also note i said easy not cheap.....thats probably a $2k minimum w careful selection shopping list, and easily a lot more w hotchkiss or global west stuff.
Yes I do have center caps and it's funny you should say that because I ordered oldsmobile logo stickers that should be coming in any day now that I'm using over the summit sticker haha great minds think alike!!... . yeah I'm with you on the wheels but I just couldn't get myself to use a 8" wheel in that fat tire and can't get the 10" ar's right now so these are what I got instead and they are cool for sure... The suspension parts as you say aren't cheap and I certainly don't have the money for that so thats why I mentioned handling.

Last edited by Dans72; October 5th, 2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old October 5th, 2021 | 03:48 PM

I Installed the 2" lowering springs to give it the extra inch and it's looking great! Now I just need to do the same to the front.

1 inch lower spring

2 Inch lower spring
Old October 14th, 2021 | 10:48 AM
Banned

So... How's it coming?
Old October 14th, 2021 | 12:04 PM

Looks much better!
Steve
Old October 14th, 2021 | 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
So... How's it coming?
Funny you should ask, I was just about to post here and let everyone know how things are going at lunch time but my boss took me out for lunch so I wasn't able to.

Quick Reply: painting my 72 olds cutlass gecko/ lime green