Painted Stripes vs. Decals - 70 442 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2011, 07:55 PM

Painted Stripes vs. Decals - 70 442 Convertible

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:52 am Post subject: "Painted" Stripes vs. Decals - 70 442 Convertible I am currently working with a well known painter here in town that has done a lot of restorations (mostly GTO's) and is now getting ready to paint our 70 442 Convertible. He will be doing the standard factory layout on the side Striping (non-W-30) and the Striping on the W-25 Ram Air Hood. He has painted over 100 collector cars in his life, and seems very sharp, but one of his ideas seems a little odd to me. Maybe he's right and I'm wrong............. I just don't know.

My problem is, he is really fighting me on doing "painted on" Stripes on the car. He said he has always used "decals" on the GTO's, and says "this is the way to go" on our car. I know that the Stripes on our 442 were originally "painted on," but he is really pushing for decals. He said that a good quality decal is absolutely no problem, and no worries (I'm concerned about fading, shrinking, weathering, etc.). He tells me that the base coat / clear coat paint job he does needs to be "clear coated" within 45 minutes after the body color (Sherwood Green # 48) is applied (i.e., This wouldn't leave enough time to layout and tape off and "spray" Stripes) and still be able to assure a good bond on the clear coat. He suggests laying the Stripes on top of the final clear coat (not under it).
I'm really confused and don't know what to do. I was hoping that some of you guys currently using decals could let me know your thoughts on this......? I want our car to be sharp and done correctly... Maybe I'm over-reacting to the decal idea?? Even if decals are "OK," I can't find anyone offering them for the std. 442. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Harold
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Okie Rocket
I don't know whether he's right or wrong on the paint. What I can tell you is that my car has silver BC/CC and I had decals put over top. That was in 1986. The decals haven't faded or cracked. They still look like new. If you want to see my car, clik on my username and view the 72 Cutlass photo album. I would have no hesitation whatsoever about doing the stripes again using decals. The upside is that you can always take the decals off if you don't like them, or change them to a different color if you want without affecting the BC/CC. Anyway that's my opinion. If you really want them painted and think he's giving you a line of BS, get a hold of 'coppercutlass' - he works in a body shop and could tell you for sure. Good luck with the project and post some pics!
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:46 PM

Great info. Allan! Just what I needed. I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for your help!
Harold
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:19 PM

They were painted and yes it can be done, mine were painted bc/cc with no issues. The stripes were done way after the base blue
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:15 PM

There is no "one size fits all" mentality that says all decals are made equally.
As with anything, it depends on how well the materials are made.
I've seen decals that cracked.

Me personally, I'd opt for painted stripes because both my classics are painted on.

Another thought is .....if decals fade after years of being in the sun....
how hard would it be to match them up after an accident.....nearly impossible I'd think
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:16 AM

the Rallye 350s all have decals. i never had a problem with them cracking or shrinking. i think my set was poorly made (came from year one many years ago) and still never had a problem with them. i will say, if you want them painted i would have them painted. even if you need to find another painter. to much money for a paint job to not get what you want.
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:36 AM

"It's the way to go" because that's the way he does it (knows how to?). If you are striving for originality, the paint is the way to go, I had the stripes painted on my '71 Supreme,(one fender, that was repainted) look really good, and took no time at all.
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:07 AM
delete

I think you are correct in that they don't make non-W30 side stripes in a decal.
I have decals on my hood. They are fine except for the occassional air bubble in the summer. if I was in your shoes & opting for originality I'd want them painted on. Do your research and get the ciorrect specs. I'm sure lots of guys can help with that. Nothing looks worse than poorly executed side stripes.
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
I think you are correct in that they don't make non-W30 side stripes in a decal.
I have decals on my hood. They are fine except for the occassional air bubble in the summer. if I was in your shoes & opting for originality I'd want them painted on. Do your research and get the ciorrect specs. I'm sure lots of guys can help with that. Nothing looks worse than poorly executed side stripes.
X2...I've seen more bad side stripes than good.
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM

If he's worried about clearing, tell him to put ONE coat of clear on the car, then go back, paint on the stripes, then shoot it with another (or as many as you want) coat of clear. That ought to loosen up his butthole a bit if that's his only concern. If he balks, then he's a stripe pu$$y and I'd take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM

When my car was prof. painted two years ago, the body shop first painted a swath of white down the body sides.

After it was dry, they masked off the stripes (masking exactly the stripes to be), and painted the Viking Blue body color, and cleared it shortly after. Turned out great, can't feel the stripes after the clearcoat.
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:05 PM

I'm new to the boards. But if originality is the goal, then the stripes should not be cleared over.
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Pacecar
I'm new to the boards. But if originality is the goal, then the stripes should not be cleared over.
Understood, but also remember if originality is the goal BC/CC is out too. These cars came with either an enamel or lacquer depending on what year it is. BC/CC also allows a better high gloss shine than enamels ever did. I know that all paints can be made to shine, but CC also doesn't let the polisher actually touch the paint - just the clear. And that's another selling feature of CC - if you get small scratches the CC can be wetsanded and buffed back to high gloss. Doing that with an enamel might be risky. IIRC the CC also has UV inhibitors in it that help prevent fading, unlike enamel or laquers. (open to correction)

Personally, I don't think having a layer of clear over painted on stripes does anything except protect the paint layer better. Nowadays restorations make the car better than it came from the factory - the gaps are precise and fitment is better. It's a tough call, but one that the owner will have to make.
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:46 PM

I really want to Thank everyone for their input. It's been very helpful to get lots of good opinions to help me with my decision. Hopefully, I can help all of you some time.

Have a good Thanksgiving!

Harold
Old November 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Where were you in '72?

What's the best way of applying the stickers? I've heard using dish soap suds work well to allow alignment.
Old November 17th, 2011, 04:14 PM
MOTORHEAD

stripes on big O

I like to see an original or painted as real stripes. cleared over buggy wranglers do what they DO...

Last edited by 11971four4two; November 17th, 2011 at 04:19 PM.