paint remover

Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:18 AM

paint remover

What is the best stuff to use? I bought a set of OEM style steel wheels and tried painting them myself. Long story short they didn't come out well at all so have to remove paint and start again....apparently I didn't do a good enough job cleaning them before paint...so we learn and move on.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would take them and have them media blasted. If you use paint stripper, aircraft stripper is the strongest and will remove most any paint. This stuff is pretty nasty. Use good rubber gloves and plenty of ventilation. It has been a long time but I have stripped several cars with it.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
same but different

I'm with redoldsman. Aircraft stripper will do it and it is nasty. If you're doing this yourself, whats your time/cost worth? It might equal blasting costs. Wheels are pretty hard to work with when compared to flat panels.

Its a whole lot more fun to apply paint than prep for it properly. Not beating you up..its how I learned too.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:46 PM

Smile

No problem. Sometimes you learn by trial and error. Then you remember next time!
Old October 2nd, 2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by hawks70
What is the best stuff to use? I bought a set of OEM style steel wheels and tried painting them myself. Long story short they didn't come out well at all so have to remove paint and start again....apparently I didn't do a good enough job cleaning them before paint...so we learn and move on.
I use "Rock Miracle" to strip paint off of my SSII rims.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:17 PM

Kinda just wishing I would have either sprung for the extra to have them powder coated or had somebody paint them for me in the first place.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:56 PM

My .02, but if you use checmicals you always run the possibility, no mater how small, of some compound & old paint material to be in the crease between inner hub & rim. Difficult to be assured of getting it out, we always used dry media. IMHO
Brett
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by hawks70
Kinda just wishing I would have either sprung for the extra to have them powder coated or had somebody paint them for me in the first place.
We all have plenty of those "wished I had" events. I believe at least 75% of painting anything is in the preparation. This is an easy fix for you. Post up some pictures when they are finished.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:12 PM

X2 redoldsman.
And Thank you for your service.
Old October 4th, 2013, 02:47 AM

I would just get some sandpaper from the hardware store and sand the wheel exterior thoroughly. That is what I did when I preapred a SS III wheel I painted years ago. I believe I used 250 grit sand paper. It is about the same price as buying paint stripper and it isn't SUPER toxic. Just make sure you were a dust mask and your set.

Before painting the wheels clean them thoroughly with a mild detergent like Simple Green. Finally, prep them with denatured alcohol. Then paint them.

I agree with the others that media blasting is the best option but if you want to do it on the cheap sandpaper is the way to go.