Paint in a rattle/spray can

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:02 PM

Paint in a rattle/spray can

Where can I get a can of spray paint in the correct paint code? Are touch up bottles available too?

Thanks.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Paint for what? body, chassis, engine, trunk???
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Paint for what? body, chassis, engine, trunk???
Body.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That helps. What year? You can get the color code usually off the cowl tag beside the PNT embossing. If it's been repainted in original color - you're ok. Unlikely your car still has original paint, right?

You can get custom spray bombs made at NAPA. They charged me about 20.00 a can and the color was bang on. Most of the shops have color charts they can bring out to your car to confirm the colors.

Other factors to take into account is whether the color you have has faded. If it has it won't match up right. Some shops have color analyzers that can match up even faded colors.

Hope this makes sense to you.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
That helps. What year? You can get the color code usually off the cowl tag beside the PNT embossing. If it's been repainted in original color - you're ok. Unlikely your car still has original paint, right?

You can get custom spray bombs made at NAPA. They charged me about 20.00 a can and the color was bang on. Most of the shops have color charts they can bring out to your car to confirm the colors.

Other factors to take into account is whether the color you have has faded. If it has it won't match up right. Some shops have color analyzers that can match up even faded colors.

Hope this makes sense to you.
1965 paint code C (Provincial White). The car has been repainted (a long time ago) in it's original color. I need to fix up areas like the trunk opening and door jams so if there is any fading of the existing paint it really won't matter.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:08 PM

It might sound silly, but have you checked out what is at the local hardware store? Some whites and blacks can be almost identical to $4 off-the shelf paint.
Just a thought...

1972 Cameo White is almost exactly like Rustoleum Biscuit appliance epoxy - I used it for hinges and door jambs and touchups. I cannot tell the difference, except it is a little shinier.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

You can also buy the paint you need and just use a deatil/ mini paint gun with low psi and the fan pattern adjusted to your needs. It can go from a point to a 12 in. fan pattern.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
It might sound silly, but have you checked out what is at the local hardware store? Some whites and blacks can be almost identical to $4 off-the shelf paint.

1972 Cameo White is almost exactly like Rustoleum Biscuit appliance epoxy - I used it for hinges and door jambs and touchups. I cannot tell the difference, except it is a little shinier.
Just a thought...
It's a good thought too Rob. When I replaced both rear doors on my 83 Ninety Eight, I got some from a Buick Park Avenue. They had to have the molding pegs ground off and repainted. On the inside of the doors I did exactly what you described. Since it was a driver, I just used rustoleum white. On the outside I used a high build primer, then the NAPA color match. When the doors were mounted on the car, they looked like they were done by a body shop.
This pic was just before I sold it in 2003. The rear door on the right side was done with NAPA color match 2 years prior. (the r.r. quarter looks brighter because of the flash - the color actually matches. It's a perfect match to the front door and fender.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
New Picture.jpg (28.0 KB, 25 views)
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM

After you get the color codes,have your local paint store mix up a pint then apply it with a Crown tool or Preval sprayer. This works good for small jobs and you can add a hardener so abrasion, sheen and fade aren't as much of a problem. Just my 2 cents....Tedd
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:44 PM

factory color paint

I bought some factory color touch-up paint in a brush from http://automotivetouchup.com/. They also offer it in pens, spray cans, and bulk for use in spray guns. Just plug in your year, model and make, and it will provide the paint chart.

There are several other vendors found on the internet.
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Great...thanks for everyone's suggestions. I will let you guys know what I wind up doing and how it turns out.