Opinions Wanted - Non Stock Paint Colors

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Opinions Wanted - Non Stock Paint Colors

At some point in the future, I will need to have my 66 442 repainted. The car is Black right now, and that is the color code on the cowl plate. I would like your opinions on how much is the value of a car affected by it's paint color matching the orig color, and or, being painted a non stock color? How much plus or minus for a new Black Vinyl Top? (interior is black w/buckets)
Thanks,
Randy
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Runner

It will probably hurt the value a little, but it all matters on the next potential buyer. As of now, its your car, do what you want with it.
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:30 PM

X2. I like to keep things original, but the paint can easily be changed back. Its not like your cutting holes in the door panels for speakers, or cutting a hole in the roof for a sun roof

John
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM

I say do what you want, it's your car. But I also think if you are building it to sell black is a good color, very good. If you are building to keep you should do what you like, and I totally agree it can always be changed back to black.
The blue car was white with black vinyl top. I would never put a vinyl top on a car, just my taste. And I told my Son he could paint it any color he wanted, so it is what it is.
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
X2. I like to keep things original, but the paint can easily be changed back. Its not like your cutting holes in the door panels for speakers, or cutting a hole in the roof for a sun roof

John
Those were going to be my next questions............Just Kidding
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Do you like the car in black? Or did you have another in mind? One other thing to keep in mind is the car's interior color. Black exterior goes with EVERY interior color. Not vice versa.

Agree with the others about changing paint colors if you want. Just remember how much you want to end up paying for all the paint jobs.

Personally? Although I'm not a huge black car fan I've seen so many that look incredible all waxed and shiny that I'd even consider it for my car. Valuation is important only if you are planning on a trailer queen. My opinion anyway.
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Do you like the car in black? Or did you have another in mind? One other thing to keep in mind is the car's interior color. Black exterior goes with EVERY interior color. Not vice versa.

Agree with the others about changing paint colors if you want. Just remember how much you want to end up paying for all the paint jobs.

Personally? Although I'm not a huge black car fan I've seen so many that look incredible all waxed and shiny that I'd even consider it for my car. Valuation is important only if you are planning on a trailer queen. My opinion anyway.
I love black - when it is clean and shined up - but they are hard to keep looking that way. (owned a black 74 Monte Carlo at one time) We own 2 Silver/Lt. Gray colored cars, and they are very forgiving on the cleanliness. I owned a 66 back in the day that was originaly silver gray, with a black vinyl top. Got rear ended and the paint guy at the body shop suggested I paint it 'Saddle Bronze'. It turned out wonderful and I loved it. Looked deep bronze in the daytime, and almost purple at night. Very easy to maintain.
Just looking at options..........
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:14 AM
Just an Olds Guy

LOL, Silver is forgiving. Go ahead and ask.....I love the way the color pops on the contour lines. Looks like 2 different shades with the bright highlights and darker semi shaded areas. If you have the time and patience to go with black - do it. Carry one of them swiffer duster things in the car to keep it fresh looking.

If you want an (ugly) color to put on a car that almost never shows dirt or dust? Chamois. Dad bought a 73 Chevelle wagon new off the showroom Chamois/saddle interior. Color match was never a problem and you only needed to wash the tires and glass to make it look clean...

Like this without the woodgrain
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM

black is the best looking color on a car.... for the first 15 minutes after its washed. I tend to be original color guy, then feel pick any color from that year but ultimately who cares its your car choose what you want. Also if you look in the recommended colors listed in the assembly manual black interior is recommended with every exterior color. You could paint it "resale red" and it would look great with that interior.

My Marauder is Black - it will always be black,,, but I've had silver cars, they were the best = looked good all the time.
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Stacey David had a segment on Gearz showing how to clean up old black paint to next to new condition. I was quite literally amazed at how well it turned out. Fair bit of work (that you don't see off camera) but the end result was a stunning paint surface you could see a dollar bill reflected in. Doesn't work on paint that's gone completely to the primer though. Black is a color you love and hate at the same time, if that makes sense to you.
Old March 26th, 2016, 06:16 PM
W30

Bringing this topic up from the dead..

My car in my sig. is white now. Its all striped down and i was set on the original Sherwood green with black stripes.

70 w-30 green again?

Or blue w. black stripes?