Need a Paint Code for 72 Cutlass OAI Hood Stripe

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2015, 01:06 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Need a Paint Code for 72 Cutlass OAI Hood Stripe

I have a 1972 Olds Cutlass 2dr Hardtop, Viking Blue but I need the paint code for the White OAI Hood Stripes.

Thank You
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Cameo white - Code 11
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Thank You Allan once again
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:58 PM

According to this, it's not Cameo White, if I'm not mistaken:

https://gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm...2_Info_kit.pdf

Scroll towards the bottom to see.
Old May 28th, 2015, 03:14 PM

I'm looking at sheet# 240, I see Cameo White Code 11, for the Viking Blue cars. Unless I'm looking at it wrong. What color White did you see?
Old May 28th, 2015, 03:24 PM

Attached Images

Last edited by Diego; May 28th, 2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old May 28th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm looking at the Accent Paint Stripes actual color chart (Intermediate Models Only) that came with my 1972 Dealer Ordering Guide. Cameo White is Accent Stripe A. Used with all exterior colors except (duh) Cameo white cars.
Old May 28th, 2015, 04:16 PM

This?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1972 stripe colors.jpg (50.2 KB, 104 views)
Old May 28th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes. What other color except code 11 would be used to describe white on Oldsmobile Intermediates? Code 11 is the only white color I see listed for the exterior paints.
Old May 28th, 2015, 04:27 PM

Well, the stripe is not called Cameo White, per the chart. And I think it's wrong to assume the stripe is the same white as painted on the car. The paint chart bears this out, unless I'm mistaken.
Old May 28th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yeah, well the chart isn't specific about any of the colors. It lists them generically. So I think it's perfectly fair to assume whatever is practical in this situation. Show me some documentation that white on the chart isn't cameo white and I'll concede the point. Otherwise it's cameo white as per outside color palette on Olds paint charts.
Old May 28th, 2015, 04:38 PM

Oldsmobile didn't give names to the stripes - they're just colors and, in some cases, colors with adjectives. So, yes, they're rather generic, but then I gotta wonder why you assumed it was Cameo White?

So, no, I don't think it's fair to assume anything (a good rule of thumb when it comes to cars). In fact, if someone is asking for the correct stripe color, it's quite unfair to assume anything.

In any case, I did post documentation above that shows the Cameo White paint formula to be different than the formula for white stripes . . . again, unless I'm mistaken.
Old May 28th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't agree that your documentation proves anything about cameo white vs. white but that's me. Gee, do you think there's a reason why cameo white would not have white stripes? Maybe because they're the same color and wouldn't have any contrast? Prove documentation that 'white' is an exterior paint color with a special code number or cross index formulation code, then I'll accept that it's different. In the meantime I think its perfectly fair to say that cameo white (code 11) on the exterior color palette is the same as the white they're stating on the stripe color palette for 72. It's a logical deduction more than an assumption though.
Old May 28th, 2015, 06:46 PM

pfergy600, if I were you, I would do your due diligence if you wish to have correct stripes. You have all the facts in front of you with the documentation from the GM Heritage Center, which shows that the paint mixture for Cameo White and white stripes are two distinct colors.
Old May 28th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Diego
You have all the facts in front of you with the documentation from the GM Heritage Center, which shows that the paint mixture for Cameo White and white stripes are two distinct colors.
??? I have yet to see documentation that shows the paint mixtures you claim to be different are in fact different. You are speculating as much as anyone else but don't seem to recognize that.

The documentation from the GM Heritage Center is the same documentation I have and so far as I can see it doesn't support '2 separate colors' of white. I do agree that it's the OPs discretion on what to do with his car.
Old May 28th, 2015, 07:53 PM

I'm sorry, I did not mean to cause any conflict with this post. As you can probably see in some of my pictures my car is not actually Viking Blue and the hood stripe is White.. I was just trying to find something close to the original color. I will try and get a sample spray out of the Cameo White 11 and see if it will look good with my existing blue. Thanks again get for all the input. Hopefully there are no hard feelings...
Old May 28th, 2015, 08:01 PM

There's not any conflict - just general bench racing - so no worries.

But if you look at the document in the link I posted (it'll be easier to read than the document itself that I posted), you'll see that the whites (body and stripes) are coded differently by the paint manufacturers (i.e. if you compare DuPont's formulations, you'll see they're different).
Old May 28th, 2015, 10:57 PM

Thumbs down

WOW!! Arguing one's point with evidence to the contrary?

If you'd look at any of the documentation Diego posted you'd see they are different colors - on page 241 of 269.

exterior paint code
11 = "cameo white" paint code W3967
stripe paint code
A = "white" paint code W4338
(NOT A RECOMMENDED COMBO)

and, on the same page if you are not convinced
exterior paint code
50 = "covert beige" paint code W4235
stripe paint code
T = "covert beige" paint code W4343
(A RECOMMENDED COMBO)
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:52 AM

So, Alan, are we now on the same page? Do you see how they are different paint mixtures?
Old May 31st, 2015, 01:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not really, did you also see this where the stripe code is categorized as code 11?? That's cameo white in my books.

Do you see or understand why I'm in disagreement? This page is an excerpt out of the same set of documents. If anything the document contradicts itself IMO giving no clear idea of which is right.

Attached Images
1972 stripe paint codes.jpg (69.0 KB, 302 views)
Old May 31st, 2015, 01:44 PM

The paint mixture is determined by Inmont or DuPont, which clearly shows the stripe is not Cameo White. The GMAD code is a designation for GM's own purposes and has nothing to do with the paint - you're focusing on the wrong thing.
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
If you'd look at any of the documentation Diego posted you'd see they are different colors - on page 241 of 269.

exterior paint code
11 = "cameo white" paint code W3967
stripe paint code
A = "white" paint code W4338
(NOT A RECOMMENDED COMBO)

and, on the same page if you are not convinced
exterior paint code
50 = "covert beige" paint code W4235
stripe paint code
T = "covert beige" paint code W4343
(A RECOMMENDED COMBO)
Ok, here is page 241 of 269. Show me where you got that from this page.
Attached Images
Old May 31st, 2015, 03:02 PM

Again, it's right there:

- The chart shows that white stripes are not a recommended combination on a white car.

- The chart shows that the paint Covert Beige is recommended with all stripe combinations, including Covert Beige stripes.
Old May 31st, 2015, 03:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Diego, I'm NOT arguing that white isn't a recommended color stripe on the white car. This is NOTHING to do with recommended or not recommended color patterns. I'm simply asking where the color formulation hurst68olds posted came from. It's not on the page he claims. Unless I'm mistaken
Old May 31st, 2015, 03:18 PM

In post #20, you posted the formulation of the stripes. That's part of a page (that I posted in #6) that shows the formulation of the colors. The resolution of the page is much better in the PDF of the link I provided from the GMHC, which is towards the bottom and displays sideways, so it may be easier to miss the page you're looking for.

LMK if that doesn't help.
Old May 31st, 2015, 04:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I looked again at the Heritage Center link and the page I posted in 20 is the bottom of that reference you provided. I now see the W code numbers that the other guy posted. Maybe you can explain to me what a W code is.

I'm kind of curious though about something else related to the color charts. Look at the Inmont color formulations for Cameo White. There are 2 of them on the top of the page. One is for wheel color and one is 'source references', whatever that is. I'm wondering 'why?' if they're supposedly the same color why are the descriptors different?

Dupont keeps the same formulation for wheels and source references if the first letters/numbers of the formulation is used to describe the difference between lacquer and enamel.

Attached Images
Old May 31st, 2015, 06:03 PM

Just for further information on this topic, my 71 442 came with white stripes and on the GM of Canada documentation it indicates stripe colour - Code 11, Cameo White.
Old May 31st, 2015, 06:09 PM

The GM of Canada docs were created by a human being referring to a document full of codes, and it is not unusual that the names they have given to the codes are not correct, as witnessed by the usage of "W-Machine" for 1967-68 cars. As you may know, they were not called that till later years.

You can also see on this color chip that "Cameo White" was not the name of the stripe:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisp...M&info=&page=5

I'll try to address Allan's post later.
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I looked again at the Heritage Center link and the page I posted in 20 is the bottom of that reference you provided. I now see the W code numbers that the other guy posted. Maybe you can explain to me what a W code is.
I don't know what a W-code is - sorry.

But I do see the W-codes correspond to the Forbes formulation.

I'm kind of curious though about something else related to the color charts. Look at the Inmont color formulations for Cameo White. There are 2 of them on the top of the page. One is for wheel color and one is 'source references', whatever that is. I'm wondering 'why?' if they're supposedly the same color why are the descriptors different?
I'm guessing one's for the body, the other for the wheels, which could require different formulations based on their respective applications...but not sure. I know Pontiac did several colors for wheels, but most of them were painted black.

Dupont keeps the same formulation for wheels and source references if the first letters/numbers of the formulation is used to describe the difference between lacquer and enamel.
I'm guessing it's the way they do paint formulations compared to Inmont - perhaps the difference between the two is the type of paint, as you suggest.
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:00 PM

Here is another paint chart with different numbers, I assume because of the different paint companies.
Attached Images
Paint Code.jpg (35.4 KB, 69 views)
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:19 PM

Interestingly, they show the same code for the paint and the stripe: A-2080.
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:29 PM

As my car was painted last week for the stripes with code 11, I'm glad to see the same colour for both the body and stripes on that chart. That would agree with the GM documentation as well. Attached is the centre grille piece.
Attached Images
Centre Grille Area.jpg (54.4 KB, 32 views)
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:53 PM

According to the GM documentation I posted, they are NOT the same color. I am not sure where you're finding they are the same color in the docs....unless you're Allan incognito. ;-)
Old June 1st, 2015, 06:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, I got some information from a professional painter who spent a lot of time in the autobody business working on these cars, and only recently hung up his paint gun. He states that the code 11 for the stripe (which is the GMAD code) IS the code they would use to get the formulations. So based on that, I'm going with his expert knowledge of this color issue and maintaining that the color pfergy is looking for is Cameo white.

Diego - unless you're a painter and have intimate detailed knowledge of painting to state categorically he is wrong I'm going with his expert knowledge. Stripes are code 11 - Cameo White - same as the body color code 11 Cameo white, which is why they're not recommended combinations. He read the all the information that was in this thread and commented as follows:

....I also called Dupont (Now Axalta) and spoke to one of their tech people and he looked up a 72 Olds color info. He told me their computer shows the white stripe and the white exterior colors are one and the same and he gave me a current paint number of 5338. Also the GMAD code of 11 has everything to do with selecting color and is not just a GM reference. That code is the exact code reference any body shop will reference to look up the correct color. Therefore code 11 can only mean one thing and when code 11 is used to reference Cameo white and it is also used to reference a white stripe, they are both the same color. I don't know why the charts posted on your car site shows different Dupont and Inmont numbers between a stripe and body color but there is a possibility what is shown is an error.
End of discussion on my part. You can rant on all you want with what you're guessing at or don't actually know as a fact.
Old June 1st, 2015, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
End of discussion on my part. You can rant on all you want with what you're guessing at or don't actually know as a fact.
Folks, you really can't make this stuff up.
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:23 AM

I just read your last comment Allan, and I appreciate your efforts on this one. That is good info to know and confirms what GM indicated on their documentation to me. I have attached a better picture of the centre stripe, taken outdoors and it is very white. Cheers.
Attached Images
IMG_1041.JPG (1.72 MB, 26 views)
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:42 AM

Thank You for EVERYBODY'S Imput on trying to assist me in finding the correct paint code for my OAI Hood. Just one more question, lol.... Any suggestions on the top 3 types of paint, DuPont, etc. ????
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:12 AM

I suppose it all depends on whether you want to be factory-correct.

Code 11 is *not* a specific paint code - it is merely an identifier. There is an Exterior code, a Wheel code, and a Stripe code. Three different paint codes from every supplier listed, and you can add the PPG one (attached) to the list. Notice the different paint formulas for Cameo White and the stripes?

Hence, Allan's painter - who wasn't asked if the body paint code was the same as the stripe paint code - would be lead to the correct paint by the 11 code, but it is not all the same paint formula.
Attached Images
1972-oldsmobile-pg01.jpg (122.5 KB, 341 views)
Old June 10th, 2015, 12:14 PM

the 1972 Oldsmobile exterior paint "cameo white" & stripe color "white" are NOT the same color.

I have a '72 Sherwin-Williams "Color Manual", in addition to their own codes, it contains color codes listed as "FISHER COLOR CODE", these codes start with "W"

exterior paint code 11 (used by all GM divisions) * WA-3967 available in:
laquer: L10 A 2864, enamel: J3-2588, acrylic enamel: J5-2588

in the "striping colors" under General Motors Corporation, usage "O"ldsmobile available codes in enamel ONLY:
WHITE * WSA-4338 (Sherwin-Williams J3-4686)
SADDLE TAN * WSA-4342 (Sherwin-Williams J3-4688)
GREEN * WSA-4340 (Sherwin-Williams J3-4687)
COVERT BEIGE * WSA-4343 (Sherwin-Williams J3-4343)

there are other "white" stripe colors listed for:
Chevy passenger car/Pontiac/Cadillac (WSA-3967 Sherwin-Williams # J3-2588) **
&
Buick/Corvette (WSA-3465 Sherwin-Williams # F1 A2517)

..... so, 1972 GM paint code 11 was used as a stripe color, but ONLY on Chevrolet passenger cars, Pontiacs, and Cadillacs.
Old June 10th, 2015, 01:42 PM

looking thru these Sherwin-Williams "color manuals" also shows the following GM colors to be the same:

1972 Olds (and others) exterior paint code 11 * WA-3967 * 1969 Olds (and others) exterior paint code 50 * 1969 Cadillac exterior paint code 12

1972 Buick & Corvette "white" stripe * WSA-3465 * 1966 Olds & Buick exterior paint code X * 1966 Cadillac exterior paint code 12 * 1968 Corvette exterior paint code 972

& another popular color

1970 Olds exterior paint code 51 "Sebring yellow" * WA-3893 * 1969-70 Corvette exterior paint code 984 "Daytona yellow"

Quick Reply: Need a Paint Code for 72 Cutlass OAI Hood Stripe