Matching SEM Color to 1969 Interior Code 52 Crimson

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2020, 08:10 AM

Matching SEM Color to 1969 Interior Code 52 Crimson

My 1969 Cutlass S convertible is red on red and has a color code 52 crimson red. I am planning on upgrading the stereo and want to buy new kick panels with built in speakers from OPGI but they only come in black plastic. I would like to paint them to match the original color using SEM Color Coat in a spray can. They offer several tints of red on their color chart but it is hard to tell if they are a good match. Their flame red looks a little to bright but their Portola red looks like a closer match. Does anyone have any experience matching the SEM colors to crimson red?

Regards,
Doug

Old March 8th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Here's a word of warning. Some of those aftermarket kick panels with speakers in them will interfere with the emergency brake pedal.
Old March 8th, 2020, 07:39 PM

I ordered '52' Crimson from automotivetouchup.com
Old March 9th, 2020, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Here's a word of warning. Some of those aftermarket kick panels with speakers in them will interfere with the emergency brake pedal.
Thanks Joe. I am concerned about the park brake clearance and was wondering about the OPGI model in particular.

Doug
Old March 9th, 2020, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by MMoney
I ordered '52' Crimson from automotivetouchup.com
Thanks, I didn’t know about that vender and I am impressed that they have the exact color matches for all the different car brands and years. I see they have an adhesion promoter spray to go with the base coat for plastics. I was wondering if you tried the crimson base coat spray paint with the adhesion promoter on any of your interior plastic parts, and if the job turned out good for you?

Doug
Old March 10th, 2020, 05:57 AM

No....Haven't used Crimson on interior, but I did use a can of their 'Parchment' on my interior plastic....perfect match. And I used a can of spray Crimson and their clear coat to color match a repaired 'tooth' on my '69s hood.
Old March 10th, 2020, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by MMoney
No....Haven't used Crimson on interior, but I did use a can of their 'Parchment' on my interior plastic....perfect match. And I used a can of spray Crimson and their clear coat to color match a repaired 'tooth' on my '69s hood.
I’m going to give it a try. I contacted Automotive Touchup today and they told me to use their adhesion promoter but that they don’t mix interior colors. My red interior parts are the same color as the exterior which is Crimson so I’ll have them mix that for the interior also. I just have to decide on how many cans? Maybe one promoter and two color.

Thanks again.