Engine Paint Colors: The Definitive Solution - Let's Start a Library!

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Engine Paint Colors: The Definitive Solution - Let's Start a Library!

I was just looking over some threads about engine paint colors (there are plenty of them), and had one of those "Duh!" ideas.

This forum has spent a whole bunch of time discussing and comparing different engine paints, trying to discover which is the closest to the original and which is the most durable.
There have been numerous posts of people's painted engines and parts, all taken with different cameras, in different places, under different lighting conditions, and viewed through different computer screens, and none providing a clear or satisfactory example of how each color really looks.

Sure, we all have different tastes, and different senses of color, but, especially considering the complicated metallic qualities of some of the Olds engine colors, we can't even exercise those properly, because we can't actually see all the colors side by side.

To cut through all of this, my idea:

Let's create a library of paint samples for our members.
Not a library all in one place, but a "distributed" library, in the "cloud," to use the term the kids use.

It'll be easy to do.
Everyone who has a can or two of engine paint lying around, dig it out, and paint something flat.
Thin sheet metal, like aluminum roof flashing, is probably best, but thick paper would do, if necessary.
A postcard-sized piece would probably be good for ease of mailing, but we could come up with a specific size if members wanted one.
Ideally, you should hit the piece(s) with a medium gray prime before painting, so that a dark, light, or colored background doesn't affect the paint color (gray is also reasonably close to the color of clean cast iron).
Once painted, write your ClassicOlds ID and the paint information on the back, and post up what you've got (with a photo, if possible) on this thread.

The first one or two users will have the job of collating samples - that is, through PM, request a different gold from each of the people who shot gold, and put them together in a group for future viewing.
Then, whoever has a set of a given color can post up what they've got, and the next person interested can PM them to send it along at the next opportunity.
Members who would prefer not to be "holding the bag" for too long could always PM a member who's held them before and send them to be "held" until the next member wants them.
Also, members who have a set of samples could photograph them arrayed against their motors or parts (especially if they have any with clean original paint) and post the photos - these photos, taken of the same samples with a wide variety of cameras under a wide variety of conditions, might give a better sense of color to those who would prefer not to participate.

Cost? Some spare paint and pieces of scrap, and postage to the next person down the line.

While it's possible that some of the samples may get "lost," judging by the character of most of the members here, I doubt that that would be a significant problem.

So, what do you say?
I've got a can of Fusick Olds Red, a can of Fusick Olds Air Cleaner Orange, and a can of Bill Hirsch Olds Gold that I should be able to lay my hands on in a little over a week.
I'll paint 'em up and post 'em up. Then I'll be looking for others' samples of Olds Gold (POR-15, Fusick, etc.) to compare with, and will be able to send the whole package on to whoever wants to see it.

- Eric
Old March 13th, 2013, 04:59 PM

I like the idea, maybe regionalize it and see who is near you by way of the ClassicOldsmobile.com Member Map. This would generate better face to face contact I would be willing to be a "Keeper of the colors".
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:47 PM

I think it is an awesome idea, I am still trying to find out the "right" color for the air cleaner on my 1961 super 88. Anyone know?
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
I like the idea, maybe regionalize it and see who is near you by way of the ClassicOldsmobile.com Member Map. This would generate better face to face contact I would be willing to be a "Keeper of the colors".
If this works out, I would avoid trying to "control" the way it is organized, but my original idea doesn't even require the degree of organization that you describe - so long as the person who has a set of colors posts up the screen name of the next person he's sending them to when he sends them, then whoever wants them after that has only to send a PM to that next person, and he'll have them next on line, and be the person getting the PM from the person who wants them after he's done with them - the great thing is that they never have to get back to any particular place - so long as the person who has them keeps the forum notified, they're available to everyone no matter where they are.

- Eric

ps: I should say that I have seen this work on a small scale.
Several years ago, I used a special BMW camshaft alignment tool that is absolutely essential for installing a BMW head, but I did not own it, and did not pay for it. A member of a BMW forum had offered to lend it out in a post on the board (remember, this is an expensive piece of machined German iron). I contacted him, and he told me I could borrow it, but he had leant it to someone else already. He contacted that guy and found he had leant it to another guy. He contacted the other guy and asked him to send it to me when he was done with it. I got it a week or so later. I used it, then got a message from the owner to send it on to yet another guy, which I did (I also sent the owner a twenty for being so nice as to lend his expensive tool free of charge). As far as I know the darn thing is still circulating around the country.
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Alright. The story begins.

Here are the samples I have made:

They are:
Top Left - Fusick Air Cleaner Red from 1992
Bottom Left - Fusick Air Cleaner Red from last year
Center - Fusick Engine Red
Right - Both are Hirsch Gold (1 thicker coats, one thinner coats)

I have painted them onto pieces of light grey-painted aluminum roof flashing.

Now it's time for others who have leftover paint form engine projects to make some samples and send them to me, so I can get them together and send them to whoever is interested in looking at them.

C'mon folks - I know how much you're looking forward to doing this .

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5001.jpg (21.3 KB, 243 views)