Street racing can be bad for your health

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Past Administrator

Street racing can be bad for your health

I like my Olds and I like going fast, but only in a safe environment like a dragstrip. This might happen.
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM

The picture says it all - "Kids, don't try this at home..."
A safe car, a safe environment and a safe driver are all needed for racing.
Glad this one was not an Olds and that no other cars were involved.

I like the site wreckedexotics.com - lots of gorey and weird wrecks there!
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM

I'll have to try that website when I get home this evening.
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Just A BaBy {:

street racing bad ?yea but with people running stock like me i really don't want to go to a strip with only 180hp}:

people would laugh at my olds!
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by easytobedead
street racing bad ?yea but with people running stock like me i really don't want to go to a strip with only 180hp}:

people would laugh at my olds!
That would be true if racing was still index or lbs per cubic inch.
In Bracket racing you can bring the slowest slug and still be a winner as long as you are consistant.

Go racing, you may be the one laughing... all the way to the bank.

For fun I once took a Toyota Corolla rental car to the local drag strip with some friends and their high HP cars. Out of the four of us I was the only one still running after the 3rd round when the timing lights broke and stopped the races. It was fun waiting in the staging lanes with the windows up and the A/C on max while everyone else was melting in the summer heat

I now have this old slug to play around with:
PICT0109-2.jpg
1956 Pontiac
Vintage AHRA drag car with 292 class wins between 1960 and 1975
1959 389ci
4spd hydro stick transmission
1957-64 large Pontiac axle with Posi

Tad

Last edited by petritl; August 28th, 2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Have to disagree e 180 hp comment.

I raced my Delta with the 307 and a gummed up carb. The car ran 20.60 @ 64.55 in the 1/4 mile. It wasn't even in the class bracket of 19.99

Street racing is stupid. It really comes down to either how big your ***** are or how stupid you are
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Just A BaBy {:

cool seeds! never been to a strip b4 just watch it a lot on tv!{pink's} so i don't know how it goes down at a strip. want to visit 1 b4 summer is gone, An i will take my cutlass up there see what it has!
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Past Administrator

Tad, that old poncho really looks cool! Almost a gasser look but not quite. I like the little front bumper on it. I bet it is fun.
Easy, you go to the local strip and watch, watch, watch. Observe how the cars line up, how they stage, listen to the terminology, find someone that understands the lingo and ask, ask, ask. Then finally, with their assistance, register your car and have some fun. Like Tad said, it ain't hard at all.
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by easytobedead
cool seeds! never been to a strip b4 just watch it a lot on tv!{pink's} so i don't know how it goes down at a strip. want to visit 1 b4 summer is gone, An i will take my cutlass up there see what it has!

I don't think this place is far from you.
http://www.us41dragway.com/

Drag racing 101
http://www.corvettechallenge.info/howtodragrace2.php
Tad

Last edited by petritl; August 29th, 2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Tad, that old poncho really looks cool! Almost a gasser look but not quite. I like the little front bumper on it. I bet it is fun.
Easy, you go to the local strip and watch, watch, watch. Observe how the cars line up, how they stage, listen to the terminology, find someone that understands the lingo and ask, ask, ask. Then finally, with their assistance, register your car and have some fun. Like Tad said, it ain't hard at all.
Dan,
The car came out of a field in Oklahoma, since I purchased the car a gentle a guy in CA recognized it and sent me the following newsletter article on the car from 1975. The car is real close to making it back on the track. I would like to match the old times Mr.Frye made with this car. I expect that shouldn't be too hard since track prep and tires are much better today.
pontiaca.jpg
Pontiacb.jpg

Tad

Last edited by petritl; August 29th, 2008 at 05:15 AM.
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:50 AM

Stay safe, and have a load of fun at the track!
Our club started renting a local track several years ago just for our members. It was cheap, easy to race, and no pressure with your friends there. My first venture out netted me a 18.5 e.t. at about 78 miles per hour with a '69 Cutlass that I was expecting a 15.0 out of. Yea, I was disappointed and a little ashamed but I had a blast. I re-carbed, added headers, a posi rear, shift kit, B&M shifter and managed a best 14.1 at about 90 miles per hour in the next 2 years. Still not a race car, but I'm alive, not broke, and a little wiser and lot happier. Don't worry about the guy next to you, just try to better yourself. And have fun.
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Just A BaBy {:

Red face

thanx for the info.US41 looks very nice also Route 66 Raceway is one i will be going as well !.It looks B A! thanx for the info!cant wait to go down a strip! vroooooooooooooooooooooooooom! an being safe is on top of my list !

an if any 1 is going to any of this strips email me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Senior Moment Member

I live 8 minutes from 66. When they built that I just about crapped myself. As far as street racing, have you guys noticed that when we were younger our cars were running like 13 flat. That was fast back then. Now you have kids coming out in Vettes and T/As and Zs that run 10s. What I'm saying is alot can happen at 100 plus. Speeds we never achieved on the street in our time. These new cars really move. The old ones took some time to get up to speed. Plus I remember my dad saying no to the 396 Chevelle SS I wanted to buy with my own money. He said no big blocks you're too young. Parental guidance is a wonderful thing. It kept me on the right track. BTW 41 has almost no tech inspection and with it nearly no safety equipment. 66 techs are meticulous and reject plenty. Also they let the big tire cars run way more than the street cars on test and tune days. It pisses alot of guys off who would like to get more than 2 runs in a session. Ask around it is the truth.
Old August 31st, 2008, 03:40 AM
Registered

Oh boy a Poncho! And a cool one to boot. I thought that was unacceptable here. Now I can post hundreds of pics of my GTO and gloat too. The BOP nationals show is at Summit Racing today, about a half hour from me, those Buhog guys will be there too, don't know much about them...
In high school I would just be getting home from the strip about now (6:30 Sunday morning) after all the eliminations and the final runs the sun was rising on the quarter, I hope they keep the quarter mile distance by the way, it may be a thing of the past soon. We had the older guys we gophered for and hung around with we were in awe of with the 13 second and lower cars. There were too many deaths and horror stories among them, taught or scared us into not street racing.
The strip was way more fun and at least a hundred times safer, plus there were those lovely greasy drag chicks there.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; August 31st, 2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old August 31st, 2008, 04:08 PM
Just A BaBy {:

Originally Posted by z11375ss
I live 8 minutes from 66. When they built that I just about crapped myself. As far as street racing, have you guys noticed that when we were younger our cars were running like 13 flat. That was fast back then. Now you have kids coming out in Vettes and T/As and Zs that run 10s. What I'm saying is alot can happen at 100 plus. Speeds we never achieved on the street in our time. These new cars really move. The old ones took some time to get up to speed. Plus I remember my dad saying no to the 396 Chevelle SS I wanted to buy with my own money. He said no big blocks you're too young. Parental guidance is a wonderful thing. It kept me on the right track. BTW 41 has almost no tech inspection and with it nearly no safety equipment. 66 techs are meticulous and reject plenty. Also they let the big tire cars run way more than the street cars on test and tune days. It pisses alot of guys off who would like to get more than 2 runs in a session. Ask around it is the truth.

are you close to bloomingdale and roselle illinois?
Old August 31st, 2008, 08:29 PM
Senior Moment Member

I live in New Lenox which borders Joliet. I have a 68 Cutlass S so yes, I can say VROOOM!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:24 AM

That was quite a nasty smash up. Looks more like road rage than a street race. Lady driver car with children and passingers. Don't quite add up to a race maby I am wrong but questions? What do you think Race? Andy
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cecil Anderson
........ Looks more like road rage .........
It was.

Our media is not known for its accuracy. It is known to be fascinated with the words "drag race".

Norm
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:40 AM

It's too bad that more and more strips are closing.

We'll see a lot more of this in the future I'm sure.
And all the press coverage in the world will be a good thing...
it might force some counties to open up their useless county airports.