Cutlass Evaporator core?

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Cutlass Evaporator core?

Who bought and installed one from their local parts store and was happy with it?

I notice all the local stores - Advance, Oreilly's, Autozone, etc sell the same part number evaporator core - #54403 at the same price of 209.99.
They go under different 'brands' - Murray, Four seasons, Everco, and Factory Air so I assume they come out of the same factory.

If anyone installed one, can you take a look at the top tube that comes out of the evap box? I need to know if it is rounded, or just bent in 3 seactions?
Pictures posted on the store websites only have a hand-drawn-looking picture.

Classic Auto Air and Old Air products sell an evap for 259 and has the top tube bent in 3 sections.
I want a stock look but my original leaks and prefer a new one over repairing my corroded one.

Any thoughts?
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM

How about a very nice used one? If so, I have one.
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:15 PM

Buy a good used one and let us know how the redo goes.
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:44 PM

i think i would go with a good used one also. just as long as it was kept sealed up.
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:14 PM

Evaporator mayhem...

Here is my report...

I also found that 3 places make evaporators for these cars.
Four Seasons make the auto parts store grade. I looked at one at O'Reilly's and was disappointed.

The POA valve would have to be rotated 180* from stock position, putting the charge port on the back side. Also the curve on the pipe does not make a 180* bend - its more like 120*, putting the POA at a sloppy angle. Hoses would not bend correctly as a result, creating more strain on the connections.
The core is also 0.65" wider and has no mounting tabs. Even for a ‘low’ 209 +tax, I passed.

Old Air Products has a new one for 265 plus tax and shipping that is almost exact, except the top pipe is bent in 3 sections instead of the nice curve.

Classic Auto Air has the third type, which has a very close top pipe curve. However, it is wider than the original and appears to lack the mounting tabs.
http://classicautoair.com/cair/images/store/EVAPORATOR_68-72GM_A-Body(01-211).jpg
While a wider evap sounds good, only a certain part gets air blown across it. Not sure what the point of this is. It is 265 plus tax and shipping.

The local A/C shop found no other sources for evaps for this car. AC Delco no longer makes or sells them.

In conclusion, Old Air and Classic Auto air are the sources for new.
I found that OPG sells Old Air's products, but at a big markup.

Originally Posted by hamm36
Buy a good used one and let us know how the redo goes.
Okay, will do! This is the best advice.

Wait a minute - I already got one last week on Thursday...

And guess what? I got it from you. You must have forgot...

I shipped it out to Classic Auto air on Friday so hopefully it will be back in a month or before...
They are supposed to pressure test it, acid wash it, flush it and detail it to look like new for 105 plus tax and shipping. I will post the results when i get it back.