Power steering

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2019, 08:02 PM

Power steering

The power steering pump on my 81 cruiser started leaking after I pulled the diesel and put a gas engine in. I tracked it down to the lower mounting bolt on the front of the pump and leaks aggressively, I was able to slow it down by taking the bolt out and fill the threaded area of the pump with sealant then reinstalling and let it set. Still leaks too much to live with. Wondering if an O ring kit will fix me up or if I am better off buying a rebuilt pump and replacing? It has hydroboost if that affects your thoughts.
Old March 10th, 2019, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

The two bolts on the front of the pump are blind holes. There is no way for fluid to leak out of them unless the casting is cracked. Are you SURE this isn't oil running down from the shaft seal and appearing to come from the bolt?

Now the bolts on the back of the pump that hold the reservoir in place DO have o-rings between the casting and the reservoir, but not the ones on the front.
Old March 10th, 2019, 07:23 AM

The area up around the shaft is dry, when I took the lower bolt out i had a steady drip rolling out of the threads. Could not find a leak coming from anywhere else. Even after I filled the bolt hole with goop it took me a bit to be ready to go back together and noticed some of the goop had rolled out with the tranny fluid. Sounds crazy but it does appear that the lower front bolt hole is leaking.
Old March 10th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by young olds
The area up around the shaft is dry, when I took the lower bolt out i had a steady drip rolling out of the threads. Could not find a leak coming from anywhere else. Even after I filled the bolt hole with goop it took me a bit to be ready to go back together and noticed some of the goop had rolled out with the tranny fluid. Sounds crazy but it does appear that the lower front bolt hole is leaking.
Well, if that's the case you have a defective casting. Either it's porous or cracked or the hole was drilled and tapped too deep. Makes your choice easy now.
Old March 10th, 2019, 07:30 AM

Are the pumps the same between power steering only and power steering with hydroboost? The only difference I can see externally is that the reservior has two return lines.
Old March 10th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by young olds
Are the pumps the same between power steering only and power steering with hydroboost? The only difference I can see externally is that the reservior has two return lines.
Part numbers are different. Could be fluid volume, could be pressure valve setting, or could be both.
Old March 10th, 2019, 07:46 AM

Thank you.