Tic Toc Tach

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2018, 10:25 AM

Tic Toc Tach

Hi Guys,

I just got my new carburetor today, but to install and tune I need to know RPM. It was on the "to-do" list to get the proper tach for the car which I think I have found here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/350505517483?ViewItem=&item=350505517483

I
am waiting to hear back from the seller about compatibility because he lists off compatible cars and then says to verify that his description mentions your exact car. I am sure it will work, but just want to be sure because I didn't see Cutlass Supreme listed there. Has anyone here by chance used this or something similar? If I recall correctly my car has the connections for the clock, but I have to get the wiring for the tach itself correct? Is there a preferred brand or place to get that from or will basically any available work just fine?

I am very much looking forward to getting the new carburetor on and tuned properly. I'm sure it is going to run great.

Thanks!
Old July 4th, 2018, 10:40 AM

It will work. This is an aftermarket reproduction. I have no experience with them and don't know the quality of them. I'm sure some members here do have them and can chime in about them.
Old July 4th, 2018, 10:54 AM

Great, good to hear. The only two I could find were this one and another one from YearOne, which I am sure is a much better version with better quality material and finishes, but at around $800 if I remember right is a little too much for me. As long as this one works I will be happy with it.
Old July 4th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I have one -- a repro from the Parts Place. Works fine, although I wouldn't rely on it for accuracy in tuneup work. You're probably better off with the one on your timing light.
Old July 4th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Administrator

That's the best excuse for a tach up grade I've heard in a while... Here is what you need for tuneups and carb work. I also recommend a vacuum gauge. Seller says it works and well worth the $29.95 + ship price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEA...item4b45ff54f5

Old July 4th, 2018, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I was looking for a vacuum gauge and some type of RPM reader but as usual nothing like that seems to exist locally. Good to know I can get one from Ebay if need be.

Thanks
Old July 4th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Administrator

You can also try your friendly local pawn shop and Craigslist. Sears still sells a version of a tach/dwell meter and Amazon is a good source for new.
Old July 4th, 2018, 12:30 PM

Yeah, I find myself relying on online sales a lot more than local unfortunately. It may take some time to get, but Winnipeg stores don't ever seem to have anything like this. Hell, half the time they don't have typical stuff you should be able to find at any hardware or automotive store, specialty stuff is almost a guarantee that they won't have it. I just recently needed some basic 12 and 14 gauge bare copper wire. No hardware store had any (not out of stock, just flat out didn't carry it) and actually said to just buy the gauge wire I need and strip the insulation off. Oh well, just one of those Winnipeg things I think.....
Old July 4th, 2018, 12:33 PM

A neighbor gave me his Grandfathers old Penske engine analyzer, timing light and vacuum gauge. This old stuff works great. But keep in mind the fuel you are using. I have a 1969 hi compression motor that does not run well on 87 octane. I was able to time it using 92 octane but the timing is retarded some. But in the end I actually had to time it by ear and make a few runs down a country road, adjusting the timing until I removed all the detonation while still getting some decent performance out of her. I plan on timing it this week with some 105 octane race fuel to see if that'll give me any better results. Todays fuel isn't good for our older cars. Remember, any performance upgrades, ie cam, exhaust, carb, intake, head work, etc, will require some timing adjustments. Good luck!
Old July 4th, 2018, 12:37 PM

Good points, thanks. Luckily it is basically a bone stock car at the moment. We plan to change the single exhaust and manifolds out for headers and dual exhaust this winter so I will have to revisit the tuning after that I guess. I also have a K&N filter that will be going on with the carb. Other than that, a different cam shaft might be in the car's future but that will be a year or two away still. Either way, good to know that re-tuning may be required for these items.
Old July 4th, 2018, 12:44 PM
Administrator

These cars are not like the newer cars where you can go 100k on a tuneup. They require some annual pm, I inspect/replace as needed the points, plugs, cap rotor, wires, and filters every driving season. Then check and adjust tuneup settings.
Old July 4th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 71OldsCut
Hi Guys,

I just got my new carburetor today, but to install and tune I need to know RPM. It was on the "to-do" list to get the proper tach for the car which I think I have found here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/350505517483?ViewItem=&item=350505517483

I
am waiting to hear back from the seller about compatibility because he lists off compatible cars and then says to verify that his description mentions your exact car. I am sure it will work, but just want to be sure because I didn't see Cutlass Supreme listed there. Has anyone here by chance used this or something similar? If I recall correctly my car has the connections for the clock, but I have to get the wiring for the tach itself correct? Is there a preferred brand or place to get that from or will basically any available work just fine?

I am very much looking forward to getting the new carburetor on and tuned properly. I'm sure it is going to run great.

Thanks!
The aftermarket units have a white inside casing, whereas the factory put them out with a sky blue. It makes a difference in the way the gauge ights in the dark. Why are you only going with 1/2 of the U21 Rallye pac? The other side (with the fuel gauge and idiot lights) are the other half that show coolant temp, oil pressure, fuel. It also has 2 idiot lights at the bottom for park brake and GEN. Rob Young (moderator on this site) bought some of the repro gauges from Parts Place and modified them with Blue inside outer casings, painted the inside of the pod white or sky blue, and 194 bulbs so they'd show better in the dark. They ended up looking like this. If you want to see the process, here's the link: Rallye pac Stuff

An FYI, the U21 Rallye Pac is exactly the same for 70-72. f85, Cutlass, Cutlass S, Cutlass Supreme, Heck even the Vista Cruiser used the same units. Many of the vendors don't provide accurate information about many of the parts, IMO mostly because they are desk jockeys, not grease monkeys.
Old July 4th, 2018, 02:22 PM

Those are really nice. I didn't actually know there was a different type of gauge for the other side. There are aftermarket temp, oil pressure and voltage gauges in there right now, but knowing this I may change those out down the road. Those look much nicer than the aftermarket stuff. Thanks for the link and information.

On that note, is all the required wiring for this stuff part of the wiring harness for the tic toc tach or does it require a different harness?
Old July 4th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The tach harness needs a fusible link, and power wires for light and the clock (grey wires should already be part of the dash harness). The other side will need an oil (+elbow) and temperature sender unit.

One important thing installing these gauges (if you decide to go for it). The wiring harness that goes to the back of the idiot light housing needs to be reconfigured. Not to worry though. It's an easy job. Here's how it's done.

Convert to Rallye pac from Idiot lights

Another pictorial of actual install

This picture is from the CSM showing how the connector wires need to be changed. Note: the image on the right is flipped from the one on the left. Verify which pins go where

Old July 4th, 2018, 02:58 PM

Very nice, I will definitely be bookmarking this.
Old July 4th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good luck. Keep us up to speed with what you decide.
Old July 4th, 2018, 03:40 PM

Does anyone have a suggested vacuum gauge? I am about to place an Ebay order. I found this one which seems to be what I am looking for but honestly having never used one am not sure if it is what I need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Vacu...gAAOSw0OxZr0~b
Old July 4th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Administrator

That is perfect, it has the scale for fuel pressure also.
Old July 4th, 2018, 03:49 PM

Great, order placed. Now the waiting game...... at least the carburetor is nice to look at, lol.
Old July 4th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Administrator

What carb are you going to use.
Old July 4th, 2018, 03:58 PM

It is a rebuilt and restored quadrajet from Ken at Everyday Performance. It was an extra $100 or so to have it fully restored with the correct finishes so I went with that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180704_175308.jpg (1.82 MB, 11 views)
Old July 5th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Is it a 7041250? Very nice looking carb. It will do well on your car. IIRC it's rated around 750CFM
Old July 5th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Ken does nice work.
Old July 5th, 2018, 07:39 PM

That middle gauge glows like 71-72 Chevy. Which is probably why it is done that way, since repro houses tend to lean towards Chevy practices.