Kinked fuel line

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2018, 05:49 PM

Kinked fuel line

Hey guys this is my first Cutlass it has been sitting for about 9 years but she is truly a beauty inside and out under the hood is another story..... I recently was trying to replace the fuel filter but I stripped the bolt then come to realize I kinked the fuel line right behind the boat I just stripped it is a 1982 Cutlass Supreme I'm looking for any suggestions on getting the bolt off as well as fixing my fuel line
Old March 25th, 2018, 07:14 AM
Lansing built

Pictures and which engine would be helpful.

Pat
Old March 25th, 2018, 07:19 AM

The carb fuel filter or another fuel filter?.... Tedd
Old March 25th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Oldsdruid

If you have patience enough and a good tubing bender and flare tool, you can remake your fuel line. But I find it's about as easy to find a reproduction fuel line. They're available for most Olds and Chevy V8s which is what is usually found in an 82. If you have a V6, not sure.

To make this job simple, you need a set of what are called line wrenches. These almost fully encircle the tube fitting and won't slip or round off the fuel line fitting like using an open end wrench will. You can get a reasonably priced set at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool that will do the job. You do need a 1" open-end wrench to hold the fuel filter housing while you're loosening the fuel line fitting.

Note that when you put the new carb filter in, the open end with the hole goes toward the fuel line. Closed end goes toward carb body. Fuel enters filter thru the hole, goes thru the pleated filter paper, and then enters the carb thru a slot in the filter housing.

I see you're pretty young. You have my respect for tackling a car older than you are. Sympathy too!
Old March 26th, 2018, 04:32 PM

We love to welcome a young person who is interested in Older Oldsmobile's,some of us are on the other end of the age scale and had cars similar to ours,when we were your age.
Don't be shy about asking questions,this is a very informative group willing to help. X2 on the suggestion about the "fuel line wrench" needed when installing fuel lines. Best of luck ,Larry