Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

1963 Full Size Olds Disc Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2014, 08:22 PM

1963 Full Size Olds Disc Brake Conversion

I'm trying to find out if anyone has installed the front disc conversion kit from Scarebird on a 63 or 64 full size Olds. It is their kit identified as OLD and they list it as fitting 61 to 64 and 66 to 70 big cars. Mochephus did a thread a few years ago about putting it on a 68 but I want to hear from someone who has done a 63 or 64 to see how it worked out. Here's the other post:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...elta-88-a.html
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:36 PM

I haven't done the Scarebird conversion, but I am doing a 69 Olds swap on my 64. And I know what some of you are going to say. Rotors are horrible to find. Yes they are. But I have a good set.
Old March 16th, 2014, 05:35 AM

There was a thread about making newer (available) rotors work on the factory style disc spindles. Good news for people with cars that already have disc brakes. Ken
Old March 16th, 2014, 08:51 AM

One of the advertised advantages of the Scarebird kit is that it uses commonly available parts such as Cutlass / 442 calipers and Ford rotors, they also supply custom modified hubs.
Old March 16th, 2014, 10:45 AM

I have scarebird front and rear conversions on my 57 and it was an easy install with their brackets, front hub conversion and standard off shelf parts from Rock auto. Your car uses a very similar conversion.

The new 57 conversion reuses the existing hub. The original did not so that's why I can make this comparison
Old March 16th, 2014, 08:58 PM

Thanks Pat. I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually used the kit for a 63 or 64. In addition to confirming everything fits right and works as it should, I also want to know how they handled the brake booster and master cylinder changeover and whether or not they used a proportioning valve.
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:43 AM

Don, I've done the conversion on my 63 Starfire. I ordered and paid the kit for both front and rear disk brakes and was sent only the front. Got ripped off.
If you want to read the details here is the link:
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=715932

Parts are good quality,just be careful with this guy.
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Looking at your posted thread, I see you went to 15" wheels as part of the conversion.

I did not read the entire thread. What did you end up doing with regard to the rear wheel/brakes?

Did you ever get a refund from Scarebird/Pay Pal?
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by dutch injun
Don, I've done the conversion on my 63 Starfire.

Parts are good quality,just be careful with this guy.

Sorry to hear about your cost experience. Did you actually do the front installation? If so did everything work as advertised? Were there any problems you had to solve? Did you change the booster and master cylinder?
Old March 17th, 2014, 12:16 PM

D. Yaros, he offered a $100 refund, but I declined because he ripped me off for more than $250,-. At least he lost some customers, I'm sure. The PY thread is over 1000 views. I know there is one other company making disk brake kits for 61/64 full size Olds, just don't remember who, but google will find it...

Don, yes I did the front only, the kit requires 15" wheels. Found some wheels locally but they required a spacer (about 1" if I remember correctly). And longer wheel studs too. I definitely needed a centric ring to place on the hub to locate the wheel perfectly. But that was with the 15" wheels I used. A new master/booster is need too, I used a new disk/drum booster with prop valve. Needed to cut the inner fender with the prop valve combo I got. I know there is a better prop valve under the master cylinder that might save you from cutting the inner fender but it's real close…
I used SSBC pistons and it is a simple bolt on. It works well. I was not impressed with one grinded off bolt head(clearance) for the bolt that goes on the spindle. Here are some pics:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-starfire.html
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:03 AM

Joe P. says the conversion can be done without having to go to 15" wheels. I do not know if that means one may use the factory steel wheels, or different 14" rims are required?

I do know I have yet to run across anyone who has done the conversion and kept 14" wheels. Does anyone know of a person who pulled this off?
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Joe P. says the conversion can be done without having to go to 15" wheels. I do not know if that means one may use the factory steel wheels, or different 14" rims are required?
Joe P actually says that the FACTORY disc brakes on A-body cars clear 14" disc brake wheels. I have no experience with the Scarebird conversions. The fact that he uses unmodified drum brake spindles tells me that the calipers are not necessarily in a factory location.

More to the point, the 1961-64 full size cars never came with disc brakes from the factory and have 14" drum-only wheels. These will not clear any disk brakes that I am aware of except for the aftermarket kits that use the 10" diameter Honda-sized rotors. Frankly, I wouldn't trade 11" drums for 10" discs.
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:34 AM

[QUOTE=dutch injun;670127] I know there is one other company making disk brake kits for 61/64 full size Olds, just don't remember who, but google will find it...

Don, yes I did the front only, the kit requires 15" wheels. Found some wheels locally but they required a spacer (about 1" if I remember correctly). And longer wheel studs too. I definitely needed a centric ring to place on the hub to locate the wheel perfectly. But that was with the 15" wheels I used. A new master/booster is need too, I used a new disk/drum booster with prop valve. Needed to cut the inner fender with the prop valve combo I got. I know there is a better prop valve under the master cylinder that might save you from cutting the inner fender but it's real close…
I used SSBC pistons and it is a simple bolt on. It works well. I was not impressed with one grinded off bolt head(clearance) for the bolt that goes on the spindle. /QUOTE]

Thanks Dutch, when I looked at your post I remembered your mods, nice job. I looked on Google but can't find any other vendors for front brake kits and could use some help if anyone else knows.

The 15" wheels are not a problem since I already have them on my car. Do you happen to remember exactly where you got the master/booster combo and maybe a part number? Were you able to just bolt it up to the firewall and pedal linkage or did you have to modify anything there? Cutting the inner fender is not a big deal either.

Do I understand correctly that you never did the rear disc conversion?
Old March 21st, 2014, 06:33 AM

Don I remember also having to modify the brake rod (pedal) I cut some extra thread on it to fit the pedal. Also remember I used the rear hole on the pedal to put the rod in. So the brake pedal comes a bit more towards the seat, but it is not annoying to me. You might also use the original hole and shorten the rod even more... (If you look there's two holes you can use on the brake pedal. I'ts been a while and dot recall everything exactly, but it wasn't very involved. I will look into the part# when I get home. Yes I used the front only.

Last edited by dutch injun; March 21st, 2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:47 AM

Thanks Dutch. I'm also going to check out SSBC to see if they make a kit. I'm not sure whether to actually do the conversion, I'm one of the guys always talking about keeping the brakes stock but I'm considering using my 63 as a daily driver and the fade factor at freeway speeds is a little too exciting...
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:29 AM

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Believe me the brake upgrade is worth it, but a rear sway bar is even better! That completely modernized the car. But then I live in europe, which has a little more cornering action,I think. I don't think SSBC has a kit for it.
I am switching to longer gears as we speak, to make it more highway friendly. I will also switch to CNG gas in the spring asI plan on taking the car to France and Italy for the summer holidays.
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:17 PM

Don I am not sure if this was the one but you might give him a call to see if he has a bracket for the 63 spindle:
http://www.discbrakemike.com
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:19 PM

here is some more googling:
http://forums.aaca.org/f137/1940-thr...ke-194681.html
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:20 PM

This was the one I remembered:
http://jamcosuspension.com/products/productID/476
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:22 AM

Dutch, thanks for all the links. I already looked at Hot rod Mike but will call him to see if he can do a kit. Jamco I had not heard of but will check it out, I see they only sell a full kit with all parts.

By the way, I have a great deal of respect for you guys overseas who work on old US cars, here we bitch about finding parts and shipping cost but you go way beyond us in order to get 'em done. Keep up the good work.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:24 PM

Yeah you got to be able to afford it, it's "exotic" stuff for us. I still try buy as little China made parts as possible, and show off the great quality stuff America (europe too) made back in the day. Most made comment I get is: "now that is a real car right there".
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:53 AM

I wanted to follow up with all who posted to this thread and say I appreciate your interest and help. I started this because I was considering turning my 63 into a daily driver but have decided not to do so the brakes will stay stock. I am a little embarrassed, part of my original concern was lack of braking power and what seemed like excessive fade with the drum brakes. I thought I had correctly adjusted them when I installed the new linings but recently I found a deserted street and repeatedly backed up, hitting the brakes multiple times to activate the auto adjusters. after doing this two separate times and driving the car after I noticed a significant improvement, to the point that I will do this on a regular basis to assure peak performance.
Old February 15th, 2015, 06:43 AM

64 vista

I have done the disc brake conversion using the 14" wheels. I'll have to get the info on where I ordered the brake kit from. Cost me $500 to ship to my door and bolts in perfectly. Got booster, all four discs, and all hardware with it. I'm taking jetfire 330 out and sealing a 455 into the car. Right now everything clears pretty good, but I can see with my swap I'm going to have some clearance issues with the booster. Had to modify the rod that goes to the pedal a bit but not a big deal. I'll keep you posted. The motor is not back from the machine shop yet.l
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by jsb64vista
I have done the disc brake conversion using the 14" wheels. I'll have to get the info on where I ordered the brake kit from. Cost me $500 to ship to my door and bolts in perfectly. Got booster, all four discs, and all hardware with it. I'm taking jetfire 330 out and sealing a 455 into the car. Right now everything clears pretty good, but I can see with my swap I'm going to have some clearance issues with the booster. Had to modify the rod that goes to the pedal a bit but not a big deal. I'll keep you posted. The motor is not back from the machine shop yet.l
By all means share this info. Many of us are interested in doing the same if we can still use the factory wheels.

You say you did it "using the 14" wheels." Would that be factory or aftermarket 14" wheels. My concern is I want to be able to continue to use my OEM dog dish caps with trim rings.

Please provide info on your conversion.

Thanks -
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jsb64vista
I have done the disc brake conversion using the 14" wheels.
On what kind of car? The 64 Vista in your screen name?

First, as we've pointed out many, many times here, the factory A-body disc brakes with 10.75" rotors came from the factory with 14" wheels. This is a bolt-on brake swap for those cars. Why many of the aftermarket kits that replicate the factory brakes claim you need 15" wheels is a mystery.

Second, this thread is about disc brakes on a 1961-64 FULL SIZE. Completely different brake swap, in that there is no "bolt-on" solution. Aftermarket is the only option and I can just about guarantee that those kits will not clear the original wheels.

Third, and again as discussed many times, GM made two different styles of 14" wheels, those that are shaped to clear disc brakes and those that are not. Any early 60s GM car came with the wheels that do not clear. There are aftermarket vendors who sell disc brake kits that supposedly clear these non-disc wheels. Those kits use Honda-sized 10" rotors. It is questionable if these brake kits can even stop as well as the original drums. Don't waste your money on them.
Old February 16th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Since I started this thread I should probably mention that after looking into the limited sources and questionable engineering for the few kits on the market I decided not to go there - I am keeping the original drum brakes. I also found out I had a vacuum leak issue that was affecting the power assist, fixing that greatly improved the braking on the stock system.
Old August 27th, 2020, 06:20 PM

super late reply but I finished installing the scarebird kit on the front of my 61. The install was easy as can be other than spending several hours cleaning off all the grime and hardened grease so I could repaint the wheel wells.
Old August 27th, 2020, 08:25 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by nightmare
super late reply but I finished installing the scarebird kit on the front of my 61. The install was easy as can be other than spending several hours cleaning off all the grime and hardened grease so I could repaint the wheel wells.
Are you using the stock single master brake hydraulics ?
Did you install a proportioning valve ?
Have you driven it yet to see how well it works ?
Thanks in advance for a reply .
Charlie