Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Thought I would share this recent purchase.

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2018, 08:16 PM

Thought I would share this recent purchase.

I was at a local cruise night when this nice older gentleman approached and asked if I would be interested in an Oldsmobile 455 he had for awhile. Intrigued, he answered some questions and then I wrote down his contact information.
He didn't want much money for it, I think the garage space he wanted back was more important.
This is a Hardin Marine build motor. Valve covers are stamped 365 horse power. The gentleman I bought it from had a local builder go thru the motor after he removed it to repair the boat. He never put it back in. I placed the velocity stack on it later. Nice garage art till I go thru it myself and see what it's all about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (1.90 MB, 43 views)
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:18 PM

Another photo
Attached Images
image.jpeg (1.68 MB, 41 views)
Old August 15th, 2018, 05:09 AM

Congrats on the purchase Sean....I may have been at the same cruise.
Old August 15th, 2018, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dave26
Congrats on the purchase Sean....I may have been at the same cruise.
Thanks! Which recent cruises have you been to?
Old August 15th, 2018, 07:31 AM

Sean, been to Crown Point, Wicker Park, Hobart, Valpo, Munster......not in any particular order.
Old August 15th, 2018, 10:02 AM

Dave, now that I recognize your car I'll look for it locally.
Old August 15th, 2018, 02:53 PM

Good to see folks from my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Hobart and did the Broadway cruise from Glen Park into Merrillville. Can't remember the street number, maybe 553'rd Ave was nice and straight and deserted perfect for late night racing. Spent many a Friday and Saturday night out there. Nice to know the car scene is still alive and well.
Tim
Old August 15th, 2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by tmaleck
Good to see folks from my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Hobart and did the Broadway cruise from Glen Park into Merrillville. Can't remember the street number, maybe 553'rd Ave was nice and straight and deserted perfect for late night racing. Spent many a Friday and Saturday night out there. Nice to know the car scene is still alive and well.
Tim
Hello Tim, you must be reflecting of a time prior to my moving to Northwest Indiana. I did not see the Broadway/ridge ave cruising, I would imagine it was real nice at some time ago. Perhaps the same way I cruised Archer Ave in Chicago to the Dukes drive in on Harlem Ave being near my old stomping grounds.
Sean.
Old August 15th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by seansolds
I was at a local cruise night when this nice older gentleman approached and asked if I would be interested in an Oldsmobile 455 he had for awhile. Intrigued, he answered some questions and then I wrote down his contact information.
He didn't want much money for it, I think the garage space he wanted back was more important.
This is a Hardin Marine build motor. Valve covers are stamped 365 horse power. The gentleman I bought it from had a local builder go thru the motor after he removed it to repair the boat. He never put it back in. I placed the velocity stack on it later. Nice garage art till I go thru it myself and see what it's all about.
Does it rotate backwards from a regular car motor ?
Some marine engines do .
Old August 15th, 2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Does it rotate backwards from a regular car motor ?
Some marine engines do .
Great Question a lot of folks do not know about. This motor was a single engine boat. Spins clockwise no different from my cutlass.
Old August 20th, 2018, 07:08 PM

This has nothing to do with my post however I figured I would share a cool pic of two of my favorite cars in one photo. This is the classic cruise at RT. 66 speedway this last Saturday. Cool cars lots of racing and fun.
Attached Images
image.jpeg (2.13 MB, 16 views)
Old August 20th, 2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by tmaleck
Tim
Good memory Tim, 53rd Ave. plenty straight and no traffic. Between 1966-1972 I was cruising with my 62 Starfire, 66 Supreme, 67 Supreme. Good thing gas was 25.9/gallon
Old August 20th, 2018, 08:39 PM

Another Northwest Indiana local here. Grew up in Glen Park. I caught the tail end of the cruising. It was like Burger King on 45th to McDonalds on maybe 54th? I remember driving home occasionally with my parents through that stretch and wondering why it took more than one cycle through the traffic light and why there was so much traffic.

I haven't been to the cruises much, but I will definitely have to look for you both! I just learned about Hebron's a couple weeks ago. I was out at the intersection of 231 and 2 hanging out and talked to several car guys.
Old August 21st, 2018, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by 69OldZman
Another Northwest Indiana local here. Grew up in Glen Park. I caught the tail end of the cruising. It was like Burger King on 45th to McDonalds on maybe 54th? I remember driving home occasionally with my parents through that stretch and wondering why it took more than one cycle through the traffic light and why there was so much traffic.

I haven't been to the cruises much, but I will definitely have to look for you both! I just learned about Hebron's a couple weeks ago. I was out at the intersection of 231 and 2 hanging out and talked to several car guys.
Yes I hope to cross paths with both you and Dave26 as well. You know every car nut around this area looks forward to the car show and swap meet August 26th at the Porter County Expo/Fairgrounds maybe I will see you guys. As long as it's dry weather it's usually a great event.
Sean
Old August 21st, 2018, 10:17 AM

This week's cruise schedule:
Portage--Tonight
Wicker Park--Wednesday
Crown Point--Thursday
Chesterton--Saturday
Old August 23rd, 2018, 11:58 AM

Dave and Sean,
I can actually make it to Crown Point tonight, do either of you expect to attend?
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:07 PM

I'm thinking I'm going to gas the old girl up and make a trip out to C.P. probably won't be able to find a parking spot but that's ok. Maybe I'll catch you tonight if I can park.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:21 PM

I'll be going also, but not sure I'll find a spot either. I'll be walking it though. Yellow t-shirt, short, white beard, possibly with my 10 year old daughter who has a long pony tail. Hope to see you and chat.

Charlie
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:24 PM

Sorry fellas, I just put in a new motor.....a real fun build....however, not much vacuum for my brakes...today I installed an electric vacuum pump, just fired it up, works great, but I don't want to drive it until I "clean up" the wiring. Have Fun!!!
Old August 23rd, 2018, 04:03 PM

I did make it to C.P. must have drove around the square a few times and left back home. Could not find a place to park. Oh well next time I guess.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:43 PM

I think I saw you going around. Does the car have a roll cage, and a healthy rumble? It was pretty packed, I got lucky and ended up parking on the north side of the square, but not near any classics. Maybe next time.