Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Brake conversion for 62 Starfire

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:36 AM

Brake conversion for 62 Starfire

Does anyone know a good place to get a full drum to disc brake conversion setup for a 62 Starfire? I have power drums and want to convert to discs all around but most of the places I called either don't make a kit for that year or don't have a kit that is applicable. any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:14 AM

My understanding is that it can/has been done. I am sure others will jump in on this. Thought Scarebird had a kit? Have you tried there?

What I do know is that any conversion does require going to 15" wheels. Different, larger diameter wheels means factory wheelcovers (hubcaps) will no longer work.

Good luck!
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
My understanding is that it can/has been done. I am sure others will jump in on this. Thought Scarebird had a kit? Have you tried there?

What I do know is that any conversion does require going to 15" wheels. Different, larger diameter wheels means factory wheelcovers (hubcaps) will no longer work.

Good luck!
I have contacted scarebird and he sent me a list of part numbers for the front and the list he sent me for the rear was basically a 79 el dorado brake kit. I was unsure about just going out and piecing a brake setup for a cadillac. any ideas or i could send you what he sent me and see if it's good to go? Also I've heard mixed things about scare bird, I just wanna cover my *** and not get screwed.
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by clparker
I have contacted scarebird and he sent me a list of part numbers for the front and the list he sent me for the rear was basically a 79 el dorado brake kit. I was unsure about just going out and piecing a brake setup for a cadillac. any ideas or i could send you what he sent me and see if it's good to go? Also I've heard mixed things about scare bird, I just wanna cover my *** and not get screwed.
It would do no good to send me the parts list. I would know absolutely nothing about it. Sorry. I also thought it had a kit for the front. Surprised to learn that is not so.

I only mentioned Scarebird as I have seen the name alot around here in that regard and most if not all comments have been favorable.

Do a search of the forum using the word "Scarebird" and see what others' experiences have been.
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:52 PM

I used the Scarebird brake disc brake conversion kits on both the front and rear of my 57 and did not have any problems. The thing I like about their kits are they use parts you can buy at Napa Or Rockauto so no special parts you need to worry about. The only thing I found hard to find on the list was the actuating hardware for the emergency brake Cadillac rear caliper other then that the conversion was quite simple.
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:31 AM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

You know the famous aforementioned adage......
The 1959 - 1964 OLDS Braking system is sufficient for today's braking (maybe go to a dual master cylinder for safety reasons...), but otherwise, if the things an absolute disaster, then maybe it is worth considering going to disc..... but otherwise, why not just replace parts as necessary?!?!?

It's not like you're driving the car in heavy traffic and/or going 85 mph?!?

And, I have everything in stock -- both master cylinders, wheel cylinders, brake hoses, wheel bearings & seals, brake shoes, BRAKE DRUMS, all new & American made!!!!

CAll me if you need me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935... New York.
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM

I switched to a Corvette dual master for my 63 Starfire, but the stock MC is better with drums only. I bought the Scarebird kit also but got ripped off badly, I ordered a full kit but he only send me the fronts. His customer service is the worst I've ever had in the 20 plus years in the hobby. I am almost finished making brake lines so we'll see how it turns out. I used SSBC dual piston calipers but need a spacer to fit my 15" steel wheels.
IMG_1456_zps36a86886.jpg
IMG_1459_zpsab251b9a.jpg

Last edited by dutch injun; February 6th, 2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:34 PM

A better master cylinder, if necessary

The corvette master cylinder is designed for a 4 - wheel disc brake system, so while that one is on cars all around the planet with all 3 set ups - 1) disc-disc, 2) disc-drum, and 3) drum-drum; we know it "will work" but of course, is not nearly as reliable as the master cylinder I would provide you for a drum-drum 62 Olds Starfire drum-drum set up....
If you need me, let me know.... Also, while I have conventional American made Front & Rear Brake Drums for the 1959 - 1964 OLDS FULL SIZE application, I also have 1 last set of ==original==KELSEY-HAYES== "Big Bells" Front Brake Drums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:48 PM

I stand corrected, mine is actually a Tuffstuff 1.125 bore size MC, which they referred to a as a "corvette style" MC. I was going to switch to disk brakes in the future so I mounted it to see how it would work with the drums for the time being. Braking is much firmer, so much that it will lock em up even faster, and that isn't good in an already inferior system (for modern congested freeways).