Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

79 omega 231 bogging and bad skip under throttle

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2019, 05:30 AM

79 omega 231 bogging and bad skip under throttle

Hi everyone saga continues lol. So got car back together replaced valves for cylinder 3 intake wasn't seating properly lapped all the valves whilst head was off changed the water pump due to chirping timing chain was tight and no damage so left it alone as with stock cam. Once it was together and running my dad and I adjusted the carb after knocking the caps out but car bogs down as soon as you touch the gas while in gear.. In park it's fine no stumbling just a slight hint of a skip (cylinder 3 still has lower compression but 110 is better than 90 at this point) but to try and drive it stumbles and skips to the point of almost stalling when giving it throttle once it gets moving it drives just not much at w.o.t it skips and fumbles then takes off. Have replaced ignition pickup coil, vac advance and swapped the coil out with a spare known good one but no change. Timing is at 15 deg advance per what information I could dig up at 0 it won't even start. I'm at the end of my patience at this point and have started leaning towards putting a 350 in it planned to keep it original and kept stock rear after putting a posi in it but I won't risk driving it as it runs for worry it will die half way through an intersection. Thought I would see if someone had some insight possibly or ideas it runs worse now with higher compression on 3 than it did before anything was done before it was daily driven just slow on takeoff and shaking at idle we did a wet compression test on 3 and it came up to 150 even with the other cylinders so I know it's rings causing the lower compression most likely one is stuck car burns no oil what so ever and cylinder was fine no damage to the bore.
Old July 29th, 2019, 03:42 AM

Hard to make a long distance diagnoses... Can you try to hold the choke plate some closed with a wire or something temporarily? If it runs better you will know it's too lean, Also try some more timing. Just my guess. You say the timing chain looks good? I hope it wasn't installed retarded before you got it. My Mom bought a brand new Omega with 231 once. She didn't test drive it before picking it up. BIG MISTAKE!! Car ran like crap, and this was a brand new car. The dealership mechanic finally broke off a pencil lead in the vacuum line to the EGR to make it inoperative to make it run ok. It was still a POS and never ran well. Having said that I would still keep the V6 as it is so unusual. Keep at it you'll get it!!