Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

64 f-85 ignition key

Old April 8th, 2016, 11:57 PM

64 f-85 ignition key

Hello. I've searched to no avail.. my grandfather has a 64 f-85 sitting at his place that he thinks will probably run but he doesn't have any keys for it. he said he's asked a few locksmiths before and they weren't able to help him. what are the options to get a key made for it or does he have to replace the ignition itself? I'd like to get it running it's in pretty decent condition and should clean up pretty nice after a little tlc. would I be able to pull the door lock and get the code as is the case with some other cars or is the door and ignition lock different?

any help is much appreciated. thanks in advance
Old April 9th, 2016, 05:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by kdub
Hello. I've searched to no avail.. my grandfather has a 64 f-85 sitting at his place that he thinks will probably run but he doesn't have any keys for it. he said he's asked a few locksmiths before and they weren't able to help him. what are the options to get a key made for it or does he have to replace the ignition itself? I'd like to get it running it's in pretty decent condition and should clean up pretty nice after a little tlc. would I be able to pull the door lock and get the code as is the case with some other cars or is the door and ignition lock different?

any help is much appreciated. thanks in advance
Welcome. The original keys would have been the same for the door and ignition locks. The trunk and glovebox would have been a different key. Each factory lock cylinder has a four character code stamped on the side of it. I can make a new key from that code. It's much easier to pull the door lock as the ignition lock cylinder requires the key to remove it on that car. The trunk or glovebox locks will also be difficult. PM me with the codes if you can get them. First key for each code is $10 including postage, subsequent copies are $2 each.

If you just want to start the car, you can hot wire it with two pieces of wire. First, you need a wire from +12v to the + terminal on the coil. This will power the distributor. Put a switch in this wire so you can turn the car off. Second, run a heavier gauge wire from +12v to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid, also with a switch. This will crank the starter.
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:02 AM

Good going, Joe
you just taught another young hoodlum how to hotwire Grampa's car and steal it!

But how is he going to get the steering unlocked without an ignition key, eh?

:-)

But seriously I have never had a tough time getting trunk or glovebox lock out w/o the key. Trunk has to be open, which might involve rear seat removal, or use of the remote unlocker in the glovebox. Glovebox I usually just wiggle rotationally while urging the escutcheon/ nut CCW continuously and in a minute or two you got it. Sometimes you can even see the cylinder retainer tang thru a hole and just depress that and then all the tumblers one at a time as you extract the cylinder.

Oh, ps, 1964.... you might not NEED an ign key. If the switch was left to OFF and not LOCK or ACC, then your fingers can just turn the switch. I thought that was the 2nd coolest feature of my '64, right after the secret ashtray.
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
Good going, Joe
you just taught another young hoodlum how to hotwire Grampa's car and steal it!

But how is he going to get the steering unlocked without an ignition key, eh?

:-)
But... but...

In the movies, any new car can be hot wired by simply touching two random wires together under the dash - steering and shifter lock notwithstanding...
Old April 9th, 2016, 09:39 AM

faster than messing around under the hood with the exact wires, too.

Engineers can't enjoy movies as much due to the patently unbelievable.

back to the issue here- extract the glovebox cyl, or take the lid with lock to the locksmith.... or open the trunk and then remove the trunk lock retainer....

Door lock should be pretty easy assuming the handles/ levers come right off.

Voila a few $ later you have proper keys.
Old April 9th, 2016, 02:19 PM

Few pictures of the inside of door with door panel removed,ignition switch and trunk lock my 64 F-85. May give you an idea where you want to go. Pulling the door panel is pretty straight forward. If those door panels are in decent shape be careful there $$$$$ to replace. Octania is right if its not in the locked position, get a paper clip and bend it straight and stick in the tiny hole in the ignition switch located to the right of where you would put the key. Put the paper clip in the hole, wiggle it around you can feel when the cylinders align themselves, when it does the cylinder it will pop out. If the glove box is locked-hmmm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3511.JPG (64.1 KB, 8 views)
IMG_3512.JPG (60.1 KB, 7 views)
IMG_3515.JPG (61.8 KB, 6 views)
IMG_3516.JPG (53.1 KB, 5 views)
Old April 9th, 2016, 02:32 PM

OOOPS ignition switch-notice the little hole top right?
Attached Images
IMG_3517.JPG (33.4 KB, 10 views)
Old April 9th, 2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
OOOPS ignition switch-notice the little hole top right?
without the key that hole in the ign switch won't help. It has to be in ACC position then use the hole and wire then go more CCW....
Old April 10th, 2016, 06:50 AM

"My memory is still good but its getting shorter" Thanks for the clarification!