Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

1963 F-85 trans. from 79 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:38 AM

Question 1963 F-85 trans. from 79 Camaro

Hello Everybody
Last year we found out there is a wrong trans in our car. A TH180 from OPEL. That got a lot of problems to the Olds. The drive shaft is as wrong as the exhaust system. Result of the different length to the original TH 240.
Because we want to change to a stronger trans, drive shaft and an original exhaust system. So we kept on searching ebay for a year.
TOMORROW there ends an auction in Germany for a TH 350 from a 79 CAMARO.
Does anybody knows for shure if this trans got the same length and bolt pattern as the TH 240 ???

Thank`s for your efforts, Claudia & Martin

Last edited by convertible 63; January 22nd, 2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: wrong words
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:52 AM

Your best bet would be from a Rover. That has the same style engine. I'm sure a few mods and should be a better trans.
Gene
Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:25 AM

Thank you Gene

Well, the point is, Rover Transmissions are expensive and I don`t know what Rover code tells me if an interchange is possible.

The Camaro piece costs about 230 $ by buy it now and petrol to pick it up.

Regards from Black Forest, Claudia & Martin
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

If your 63 still has the original aluminum 215 V8, it has a unique bolt pattern. The only automatic transmissions that bolt up are the original Rotohydramatic 2, the Buick Dynaflow used in the 61-63 Skylarks, and the Rover trans. I don't know what you have in there now, but there's no Opel trans that bolts to the 215.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:10 AM

Location: I live in a small community in north of Sweden, (more details to come)
Red face Dr.Olds

Originally Posted by convertible 63
Hello Everybody
Last year we found out there is a wrong trans in our car. A TH180 from OPEL. That got a lot of problems to the Olds. The drive shaft is as wrong as the exhaust system. Result of the different length to the original TH 240.
Because we want to change to a stronger trans, drive shaft and an original exhaust system. So we kept on searching ebay for a year.
Does anybody knows for shure if this trans got the same length and bolt pattern as the TH 240 ???

Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:12 AM

Location: I live in a small community in north of Sweden, (more details to come)
Red face Dr.Olds

Hello Everybody

You can use the 350TH, but you need a "spacer" between the engine and the trans.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:53 AM

Joe, you`re right. Our trans is a Rover one, a TH 180. The only available Rover model that fits. Claudia told me. She knows more about our cars than I will ever do.
Dr. Olds, thank`s for that information.
But what happens to the length of the drivetrain between engine and diff. by using a "spacer" ? We like to get rid of the one piece drive shaft to mount a split drive shaft that belongs to the Olds. Otherwise the original exhaust system wan`t fit.
I found those spacers a few month ago in the net but lost them.
Will start search right now again and tell you what I got.

See you, Martin
Old January 24th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Post Driveshaft

Joe, you`re right. Our trans is a Rover one, a TH 180. The only available Rover model that fits. Claudia told me. She knows more about our cars than I will ever do.
Dr. Olds, thank`s for that information.
But what happens to the length of the drivetrain between engine and diff. by using a "spacer" ? We like to get rid of the one piece drive shaft to mount a split drive shaft that belongs to the Olds. Otherwise the original exhaust system wan`t fit.
I found those spacers a few month ago in the net but lost them.
Will start search right now again and tell you what I got.

See you, Martin
Hi.
You might have to cut the drivetrain(driveshaft?) and weld it after adjusted the length. I don't understand the problem with the exhaust, help me there if you can. But why not try to find an original gearbox? I have an -63 Cutlass Coupé with "Slim-jim" trans, not the best but it works.

Leffe // alias Dr.Olds