Radiator for '55 ninety-eight

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Neg

Radiator for '55 ninety-eight

Hi guys, I know almost nothing about cars so I thought I'd ask here. I'd like to buy a new radiator, preferably an aluminum one. So where could I find one that would fit my car? Do I have to buy a specific radiator to fit my car or will any type do? I don't even know if there are different types, so help me out here. :P
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Past Administrator

If you measure the width, height, depth, and which side the inlet/outlets should be, and determine if you need built in transmission cooler; you can shop at many places and should be able to find one. If you get one advertised specifically for your model car you will probably pay more. Look at the speed catalogs like Summit Racing, Jegs, Speedway, etc. and see what they have. Also, an internet search will net you at least five or six companies that sell radiators, some have site searches by size, others by application. The reason I say this is I found a radiator to fit my '46 by doing this. I think I finally purchased one from Summit. Be prepared for sticker shock, $200 on the low end would be my guess.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3555...temNo=radiator
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:40 AM

If you get those measurements and specifications you could also try going to your local auto parts store. They might have a supplier for generic radiators. Although, it depends on how "high speed" they are.
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Neg
........ preferably an aluminum one ........
I can tell you where not to go.

Seriously:

Your best bet would be to get a new brass core, for your existing brass tanks. My local shop quoted a "Ballpark" of $280, for a new core, for a '62, which should be the same as your '55.

However, if you are a "lawn chair" type, a polished aluminum radiator does look impressive when the hood is up.

Norm
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Neg

Thank you, your posts were all very helpful. I'll measure my radiator and start shopping around.
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Oldsdruid

However, if you are a "lawn chair" type
You bad, Norm. You bad.

I think that 1-800-radiator place is the one that made my supposedly "factory blueprint" 64 Starfire radiator that was fully 5 inches too short top to bottom. Then when I called their tech support no one there spoke English. Finally called USA Parts (who I had ordered it from) and told 'em we had a problem and I was stopping payment on the CC until it was resolved.
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
........ when I called their tech support no one there spoke English ........
Pic shows the front view of their East Los Angeles location. In reality, it's a Franchise operation. When I visited, there was one one person answering (in accent free English) the phone, and a "pickup and delivery" driver.

Given "'62 Olds 88" the phone guy clearly stated that his computer showed nothing earlier than '66.

Norm
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Neg

Well, I've looked quite a bit online and I just can't find a radiator big enough for my car. Apparently mine is 24" across and 26" tall. The tallest I've been able to find is 19". Anybody know of anywhere I can find one the right size?
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:29 AM
Oldsdruid

Time to get out from behind the 'puter and do some legwork. Visit a radiator shop that has been in business a while. If a shop tells you it's unavailable, talk to another shop. Someone can recore this thing. Besides, there's not that much difference in 1955 GM radiators, and they make 'em for 55-7 Chevys.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Past Administrator

I agree, I think they are out there for both reasons rocketraider cited. I really do think I saw some taller than 19 inches, heck I think the one I got in my '46 is taller than that, I will have to look at it.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
........ Someone can recore this thing ........
A "recore" is the replacement of the old core, with a new OEM size (and quality) core. The original tanks/brackets are used, so the result is the same as the original radiator, when the car rolled off the assembly line.

Any shop that can do the job, can also tell you if it needs to be done, or not.

Norm