Question for headers

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2019, 12:24 PM

Question for headers

I have a header leak and I知 swapping it next week when I put the new TCI streetfighter 350 tranny in. What headers would y誕ll recommend for preformance and easy installation I知 leaning towards headman and Sanderson more then hookers. I have an American thunder flowmaster 2.5 in catback system. I知 also adding electric fans. Thanks guys!
Old October 24th, 2019, 09:19 AM

Sorry, I posted this in wrong thread but at least it’s still somewhat relevant.

Remember gang, it’s a 350 engine in Doc’s car, no W/Z manifolds, only anemic small block manifolds. Joe P lists things as it goes - headers, especially on small block don’t just fall in. You WILL have to tip or raise the engine after removing engine mount through bolts, drop the starter (or remove it), remove the oil filter mount (get a new gasket), likely have to move brake block (if careful you can FORCE it by hand far enough leaving the lines connected, just don’t kink em), you might have to ding a tube to clear an upper control arm or crossmember, just don’t do it without lowering the engine into place to confirm a need for it. If CAREFUL you might get away without killing your dipstick tube.

IMO headers are one of the best things you can do to get a performance boost but you want to buy good set, use quality gaskets (the Remflex are really nice, Joe P turned me into them), install carefully & thoughtfully. A new exhaust will be likely, I like an X pipe exhaust but opinions vary, mufflers to your taste, generally 2.5”, use band clamps up front so exhaust can be removed if trans ever needs removal.

If you want to get really thorough your carb may warrant some dial in to take advantage of better breathing exhaust. Then there’s ignition curve tuning, maybe a new intake, ooo, some more aggressive gears............

Last edited by bccan; October 24th, 2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old October 24th, 2019, 09:57 AM

I can't recommend headers for a Cutlass but I'll cut and paste a comment I made in a different thread.

If you want to go to electric fans get one from a salvage yard. I have an electric fan from a mid 90s Ford Taurus with a 3.8l v6 in my 71 98. It's a 2 speed fan. I have LO wired to a temperature sender and HI wired to manually ON. I also got a dual electric fan off of a late 90s Ford Windstar for my 86 f250. I have it wired similarly to my Oldsmobile and it cools my truck just fine (and my truck is a diesel). If you buy an aftermarket fan you have to spend BIG bucks to get one that is as good as one you can find in a salvage yard. Another good fan is the one from an early 2000s Ford Contour with the 2.5l v6, it's just a bit harder to get since it's jammed in there.

Here's a good thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ng-fans-64246/
Old October 24th, 2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by jhawkthebeast
I have a header leak and I知 swapping it next week when I put the new TCI streetfighter 350 tranny in. What headers would y誕ll recommend for preformance and easy installation
For easy installation, pull the engine along with the tranny. Then put the new headers in and drop the engine back onto its mounts.