Question for Convertible Owners

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:13 PM

Question for Convertible Owners

I have a 68 Cutlass S Convertible that needs a new top and some repair work on a side rail. One of the smaller pivot rods on the passenger side is bent, otherwise the frame goes up and down just fine, so everyone I take it to wants to put a new ragtop on it, but no one wants to work on the frame. I've been looking on the web for a replacement rail - not too many of them out there for a 68 Cutlass. Found a couple of places that will sell me a "new one" but they look cheap and chintzy and like they belong on a 70 or 71.

Would prefer to get the rail fixed before having a top put on it, but need to find a place in the West (preferably Washington, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon or Idaho) that knows what they are doing and are willing to do the job.

Any advice?

Also, is there a forum for convertible top questions? Couldn't find one so I posted here....
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:27 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Here is a thread with one possible solution:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lide-rail.html
Old July 4th, 2012, 05:44 AM

If you will post good pictures of the problem and an explanation of what/why it is a problem, you stand a better chance of getting some suggestions on possible solutions, IMHO.
Old July 4th, 2012, 06:47 AM

Good point Mike. Thank you.
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:32 PM

I seem to remember that a rod on my top was bent. I was able to straighten it out. I think I used some woodworking clamps, maybe a board also. Parked the top halfway up/down, secured the ends of the bent rod, pulled the middle until it was straight. It was years ago, so that's all I can recall.

I have been told that there is a design issue with the top. As it is raised/lowered the distance between the cross braces changes. This can cause the top to bind or even rip when a new top is installed. Let the top sit in the sun, and drive with the windows down so the new top balloons out and stretches.