I need to borrow a steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2007, 07:55 AM

I need to borrow a steering wheel.

Does anyone have a steering wheel that will fit a 1972 Cutlass that I could use for a few weeks while my steering wheel is being restored?

I really only want it in case of an emergency. Ya know, like the garage catching fire or both my other vehicles being unavailable (unlikely).

I will be glad to pay shipping both ways.

I'm sure there are other ways to get by for emergencies but if someone has a spare the postage will be less than several other options that I can think of.

Thanks,

trico@apci.net
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:25 AM
dar83501

I have a classic Grant steering wheel, it's just the wheel and has no center cap. would that work?

Please note...if I didn't get it back, I'd have to hunt you down and tear it from your cold dead hands, because It's going into my Cutlass. =[

Old November 27th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I steered my 1980 ford f150 with a pipe wrench for a week, because the steering wheel sheared off.
The shifter cable broke, so I had to get out, block the wheels and shift the autotrans manually, and the gas tank would leak after about 1/4 tank.
That was THE BIGGEST piece of crap I have ever owned. I got rid of it after only 2 weeks of ownership.

12 '' or 15 '' adjustable wrench should work
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:41 PM

J- Looks like we have more in common than just Cutlass's. I had an F150 also. can't say that my memories of that truck are at all fond. It was one of two deviations from the GM family, that I have made in my life. I also owned a Dodge, way back when. Seems like about every ten years or so I would think I needed a change. I always came back GM though.

The 'other' old vehicle I have that I drive daily is a 1993 GMC Sierra King cab. I bought it used ( only way I could afford it) and now if I had to buy a new one I still couldn't aford it. Runs great and still looks good with almost 200K miles. Can't beat the GMC family!

Anyway.....the steering wheel: I could do like you and clamp a vise grips or a wrench on it, just for emergencies. I had thought of that but I was going to ask the group here also. If someone had an old cruddy wheel that would work I would be more comfortable with that. That pipe wrench might become a bit unwildy if the building was on fire!
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by New'n72
Does anyone have a steering wheel that will fit a 1972 Cutlass that I could use for a few weeks while my steering wheel is being restored?

I really only want it in case of an emergency. Ya know, like the garage catching fire or both my other vehicles being unavailable (unlikely).

Any 1969-mid 1980s GM steering wheel will work.

I will be glad to pay shipping both ways.

I'm sure there are other ways to get by for emergencies but if someone has a spare the postage will be less than several other options that I can think of.

Thanks,

trico@apci.net