Fumes

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Fumes

Hello all,

When i drive my 72 cutlass i smell fumes inside of my vehicle.They smell like gas fumes.I drilled a hole in the firewall to run wire and i covered it up but i still smell the fumes.
One thing that may be causing it is my gas cap wont screw on securely to the neck.The guy before me popped it off because he lost the key so I bought a new tank and i'm installling it tomorrow morning.
Also,I'm replacing the emission canister because I heard that reduces the fumes that i'm smelling.I'm having a hard time finding one though.
What do you think could be causing the smell in my vehicle?
All help is appreciated.Thank you.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:05 PM

Those canisters are avaiable from NAPA as part number CRB229817 for around $50. I would make sure that there was not any leakage from the fuel tank and that all hose to the vapor canister are in place and in good shape first. I've never had a problem with the canister but heard the vapor can get under the hood and smell if not hooked up correctly. It is also possible for the vapors to not get pulled from the fuel tank if the cap doesn't fit right. I have had the fuel tank leak form up above before. It would evaporate as it ran down and never drip, just smelled.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by musicars
. I have had the fuel tank leak form up above before. It would evaporate as it ran down and never drip, just smelled.

on that one. My old crusty sending unit doesn't seal right on the shiny new tank, and it will smell when the tank is full.
3/4 full is just fine though, So I go that route