foul odor

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2009, 02:00 AM
christine fury

foul odor

Can anyone tell me where the lines from the charcoal canister connect to on a ’72 small block Cutlass? I know one runs to the fuel tank via a hard line along the frame, but not sure of the other due to the line being severed /unplugged when I purchased the car. Basically, I can smell a strong odor of gas while driving even with the windows up; but there are no obvious fuel leaks. As always anyone’s expertise is greatly appreciated.

Old May 1st, 2009, 08:52 AM
Registered

On my '71 it goes to a port on the bottom of the carb in the front between the idle screws, 2 barrel 350. The center port on the canister goes to the fuel tank and the outer one goes to the carb, think they're marked carb and fuel tank. I guess vapors could build in that standpipe? Triple check all the lines and rubber line connectors for leaks, running and shut off, carb for leaks, carb and fuel pump fittings, gas cap should be the vacuum pressure type. PCV valve and vent cap good? That vapor has a strong gas smell if it's blowing out under the hood too. Now I wonder how much vac can be lost if that canister isn't all up to snuff? I think half the pellets fell out of mine because that filter on the bottom was decroded.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM

There is a vapor separator / vent ***'y that mounts inside the passenger compartment right behind the back seat back. There could be an issue with that or the rubber lines connecting it to the gas tank.
Of course this is assuming the car is not a wagon...

Originally Posted by Bluevista
...I wonder how much vac can be lost if that canister isn't all up to snuff? I think half the pellets fell out of mine because that filter on the bottom was decroded.
Just refill it with chopped-up Kingsford BBQ charcoal and add a new filter - problem solved!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; May 1st, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I have 4 or 5 charcoal cannnisters here that I was going to throw away if you want one.
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM
christine fury

What if you are using non stock carb, I.E. Edelbrock. Where would it plug in the canister, or should I just close it off using a hose cap? I have a 1406

Old May 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
christine fury

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I have 4 or 5 charcoal cannnisters here that I was going to throw away if you want one.
Sure, I'll take one. Mine is in ok shape and I'm trying to restore the car. nazarene76@gmail.com for arrangements. Thanks again, bro