door opens with key but not with remote

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM

door opens with key but not with remote

I inherited a 1995 Oldsmobile 88 Royale. The front passenger side door opens with the door key but not with the remote, It closes OK with the key and the remote. How to correct the problem? Please help. Thanks.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cniguy
I inherited a 1995 Oldsmobile 88 Royale. The front passenger side door opens with the door key but not with the remote, It closes OK with the key and the remote. How to correct the problem? Please help. Thanks.
reprogram the remote. Also try putting in a new battery. Does the remote open all the other doors and the trunk?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the advice. All other doors and the trunk work OK.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If reprogramming doesn't work, you could always replace the actuator really easy with one from a wrecker. Its possible the connection to unlock may be loose or there may be corrosion on one of the terminals. It's a really easy piece to take out and check. Spray it will Electrical contact cleaner and see if that makes a difference. Based on my experience with my 95 Olds 98 (same car only bigger) most of the electrical problems usually required a replacement part. BTW you don't have to take the door panel off to access the PDL contacts.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM

Thanks for your help. Corrosion is possible since the car has only 30,000 miles and it was in the garage for 16 years. I had to replace all the hoses, flush and refill all fluids and I put a new tires on. Otherwise the car is a showroom condition and runs like a dream. I would like to keep it that way if possible. I assume I had to pop out the small panel where the door lock switch and the small actuator chrome level are in order to reach the terminals of the actuator. Thanks again.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yeah, those cars have mostly plastic cover plates and fasteners which is a pain because plastic is prone to breaking, especially as it ages. So you have to be a little careful taking them out. To access the door lock electric contacts, you have to gently *I used a wide grease scraper tool 1 inch wide* and slide it between the door panel and the plastic escutcheon. Slide it from side to side until you find the plastic tabs that lock the panel in place. Then gently push the tabs down while pulling the panel toward you. There are only 2 tabs. Once that is done, there are 2 or 3 plastic tabs on the bottom of the panel that allow the escutcheon to be lifted up.

When you have the escutcheon out, you still have to be careful of the plastic locking tabs that hold the door electrical panels. At 30000 original miles and stored in a garage, I'd actually be a little surprised if they had corrosion. It's more likely a faulty door lock actuator - in which case you'll have to take off the door panel to get at it. It's very possible that the solenoid for unlock may be weak or have failed. Because it's an integrated unit, you just replace the whole thing. You can find them in most GM donor cars (94-98 Buick, Olds, Pontiac - all full size models).

Let us know how things are going. Cheers!
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM

I replaced the battery and it did not fix the problem. I will study how to reprogram the fob since I never had a car with remote, I always use the key which never fails. A mechanic told me that it is most likely an actuator problem, so probably the doorpanel has to be removed to fix it. Taking the door panel off is above my head. I have no tools neither experience in car repairs and I'm afraid I will ruin the panel so it will be better to take it to an expert. Thanks for your help.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Taking the door panel off is really not that hard. First you take out the screws that hold the door pull in place. Then remove the 2 pieces at the top where the door handle is. The rest of the panel is held in place by about 10 plastic clips that pop out of the pre-drilled holes in the door. It's really easy. You know what I did to learn how to do this? Go to a local wrecker and practice taking the door panel off on their cars! It's exactly the same on ALL 1994-96 Olds Ninety Eights, and ALL 1994 - 1998 Olds 88's with power door accessories.

If you need the programming instructions for your remote: follow this link : http://www.programyourremote.com/cla...Ad.asp?id=1148 You'll need a connector to jumper the 4 and 8 connectors, but after that it's a breeze. The data link port should be just under the steering column on the bottom of the valence panel that the AC runs through. Should be really easy to find.

BTW if you need a spare fob, I believe I have one that I don't need anymore. I also have a spare actuator you can have, just pay the shipping cost. LMK what you want to do.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM

Allan, thanks for your help also the fob and actuator offer. Please let me know the cost of the postage for both and your address via email. Have a nice July 4th! My email is deerfootfarm107@hotmail.com
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cniguy
Allan, thanks for your help also the fob and actuator offer. Please let me know the cost of the postage for both and your address via email. Have a nice July 4th! My email is deerfootfarm107@hotmail.com
email sent.