Auto Transporter

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Auto Transporter

There sure is a lot of auto transporters and they all claim to be the best. I was wondering if anyone has had experience (good or bad) with any or someone would recommend a company. I just bought a non running 51 S-88 in PA. and am looking to get it to the Chicago area.

Thanks
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:28 PM

I live in Chicago and shipped a lot I got a car coming from California I use us transport never a problem
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:03 PM

Angry It is best to be on top http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gi

[QUOTE=oldsmoguy;586456]There sure is a lot of auto transporters and they all claim to be the best. I was wondering if anyone has had experience (good or bad) with any or someone would recommend a company.
I shipped an El Camino from Phoenix to Portland several years back. I had the option of having it on the top or underneath. I should have paid the extra to have it on top. When it arrived it had oil spots on the hood from the car above. The oil stained the light yellow paint and couldn't be rubbed out.
No help from the shipper whose agent just shrugged his shoulders and said "They're used cars and some of 'em are gonna leak."
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:03 PM

Angry It is best to be on top

[QUOTE=oldsmoguy;586456]There sure is a lot of auto transporters and they all claim to be the best. I was wondering if anyone has had experience (good or bad) with any or someone would recommend a company.
I shipped an El Camino from Phoenix to Portland several years back. I had the option of having it on the top or underneath. I should have paid the extra to have it on top. When it arrived it had oil spots on the hood from the car above. The oil stained the light yellow paint and couldn't be rubbed out.
No help from the shipper whose agent just shrugged his shoulders and said "They're used cars and some of 'em are gonna leak."
Old August 31st, 2013, 05:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

First, nearly all of the "transporters" out there are simply brokers who contract with individual truckers on a case-by-case basis. I've now dealt with a number of these brokers. They all suck. They typically will give you a low-ball number, then they won't be able to find a truck and will slowly ratchet the price up.

If this is a fully restored car that you care about, pay the money for a proven old-car transport service. If it's a non-running car that needs restoration (like my two 62 wagons), expect to have a lot of trouble finding a shipper at a reasonable price. Even if you do pay extra, theses guys typically deal with newer cars that are fully functional. A non-running car, especially if the brakes don't work, will be a big problem for them.
Old August 31st, 2013, 05:36 AM

I disagree, they don't all suck. I have used Monarch Car Shipping several times. They stick to a quote and use only insured and licensed drivers. I would stay a long way from uship.com they use who ever has a lowest bid. I had a buyer use them to have a car picked up. They guy showed up with a car trailer and a friend who lived in the area to pick up a car. He had no paperwork (bill of ladding) took no prior to shipping description on paper, then he told me he was going to drop the car off at a friends to pick up later as he took more jobs then he could get done at once. So, he was going to drive to the est coast with one car then come back to the west coast with another, pick up the one he was leaving at a friends and then take it to the mid-west.
When I asked him about paperwork he said he had no license or insurance so he was acting like it is his car. He also said it would be 3-4 weeks till he delivered the car to the owner.
I have used Monarch a 5 or 6 times. The vehicle is always delivered within 4-7 days across the country. The bid is the cost each time. Only once was there any damage and it was the drivers fault and it was corrected right away.

Don't know what else you could ask for. Everyone should remember the lowest cost does not mean the best deal.

Anyway just some of my experience. I take pictures as the car is loaded and after it is secured. I always email those to the buyer as well to ensure they have a copy of the last visual of the car as it leaves.

Hope this helps.
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I disagree, they don't all suck. I have used Monarch Car Shipping several times.
Out of curiosity, what's a rough number for Monarch to ship an inop car from coast to coast?
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:17 AM

ALways best to contact them. Robyn there is very good. I shipped a not running non-braking 66 442 to Maryland from Oregon for $1100. Then almost identical car to Mass. for $1250 both steering and roll but not braking. They got the car there in 5 days and easy load and unload at both ends with pleasant drivers.
Old August 31st, 2013, 11:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
ALways best to contact them. Robyn there is very good. I shipped a not running non-braking 66 442 to Maryland from Oregon for $1100. Then almost identical car to Mass. for $1250 both steering and roll but not braking. They got the car there in 5 days and easy load and unload at both ends with pleasant drivers.
That's in line with what I paid in 2010. Quotes this year have been somewhat higher due to fuel prices.
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:31 PM
Phantom Phixer

Interstate Auto Movers

Steer clear of Interstate Auto Movers out of Miami. They jerked me around for 3 months after receiving my deposit. When I finally got my car from New Mexico it was covered by transmission fluid from the wreck that was above it. Fortunately the car was unrestored. If you have a "nice" car pay the money for an enclosed shipper.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:30 PM

I'm having my car shipped by Rite Way Auto Transport from Detroit to SLC Utah. It's getting picked up on Wednesday and they say I'll have it by Saturday. It's costing $1275, we'll see how well they do.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:08 AM

When I relocated from Ohio to New Mexico in June of last year, I had this service move both my household goods and my '67 Delta 88. The cost was $1100, and the experience was just fine.

http://www.elitemover.com/

Of course, as Joe Padavano notes, they are just a broker as far as arranging car transport. But the guy who did it was wonderful. When he dropped the car off, he told me he really liked having it on his truck, and, while it was not enclosed transport, and most of the vehicles he was transporting were late model, he put it on the truck in the spot where it was least-likely to get hit by stones or anything like that. He enjoyed starting it and driving it off the truck, and I put the top down for him before driving it away. As I said, it was a very good experience.
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:00 PM

I just took delivery of my 1971 Cutlass Supreme. Used All American Transport for a broker and they contracted Quick Way out of Newcastle, WA. They picked up in Central Oregon last Wednesday, and delivered in Grand Rapids, MI tonight (Wednesday), so one full week. I did offer to pay a premium for them to go to central Oregon as I understand it's not on a normal truck route. Total cost was $1200 on an open transport.

Check out www.transportreviews.com for more info. I went there when I was deciding who to use. Overall, a decent experience. Communication could have been a little better, but can't it always when you're waiting for your new baby to arrive.
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:18 PM

I want to thank everyone for all the recommendations and taking the time to reply. I was pm'ed by another poster and managed to get it shipped with a car he had coming my way. It worked out great and the transporter was pleasant.

Again thanks to all.
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by oldsmoguy
I want to thank everyone for all the recommendations and taking the time to reply. I was pm'ed by another poster and managed to get it shipped with a car he had coming my way. It worked out great and the transporter was pleasant.

Again thanks to all.
Well, who did you go with? There is a car in New Mexico I am really interested in, and was close to buying a car in Arizona about 2 mos ago....shipping quote was $1800! That's shipped from AZ to NY. The car in NM is something I really want, but we here on the east coast have to factor in the price from the left side of the country. $1200 would be my limit...thanks!
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Well, who did you go with? There is a car in New Mexico I am really interested in, and was close to buying a car in Arizona about 2 mos ago....shipping quote was $1800! That's shipped from AZ to NY. The car in NM is something I really want, but we here on the east coast have to factor in the price from the left side of the country. $1200 would be my limit...thanks!
I contacted oldsmoguy and we coordinated transportation from PA to IL. I would highly recommend Chad from Maximum Transport - phone number (330) 502-5342. He predominatly works in the Midwest and East though. Greg

Last edited by Ctls442; September 29th, 2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old September 29th, 2013, 07:04 AM

I worked for a buddy of mine through college, he's got a 38 foot enclosed trailer and does this for a living. I can get you a quote. He lives in Joliet. I don't want to give you a "probably" number, either. I'll ask him what he thinks and can send you a PM.
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Erik, Back in 2010 I used Recon transport to ship my Cutlass from NM to NJ. Cost was $738. Jeremiah was great to deal with.

Joe

Jeremiah Scott
Recon Transport LLC
Phone: (888) 318-6414
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by jerseyjoe
Erik, Back in 2010 I used Recon transport to ship my Cutlass from NM to NJ. Cost was $738. Jeremiah was great to deal with.

Joe

Jeremiah Scott
Recon Transport LLC
Phone: (888) 318-6414
Thanks Joe!
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
I worked for a buddy of mine through college, he's got a 38 foot enclosed trailer and does this for a living. I can get you a quote. He lives in Joliet. I don't want to give you a "probably" number, either. I'll ask him what he thinks and can send you a PM.
Sounds good, thanks!
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:41 AM

My buddy is at $1 a loaded mile if it rolls easily, he has an electric winch on the trailer to help get it up. If it has frozen wheels, it will be up to $1.50 a loaded mile. But, since this isn't a show car, sounds like you're better off with open transport.
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
My buddy is at $1 a loaded mile if it rolls easily, he has an electric winch on the trailer to help get it up. If it has frozen wheels, it will be up to $1.50 a loaded mile. But, since this isn't a show car, sounds like you're better off with open transport.
The car is in Albequerque,NM....it would need to go to Long Island, NY.....it does roll....what could be an approx rate for this?
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:46 AM

Let's move to private messages...he usually only does east of the Mississippi...
Old October 31st, 2013, 02:03 PM

Auto Transport Recommendation

Hi:

Looking for recommendations for enclosed transport of a restored 1956 Olds 88 from Houston, TX to Chicago, IL.

Thanks