Air bag suspension.

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Neg

Air bag suspension.

Anyone here have air suspension on their classic olds? I would really like to get it for me '55, but I know very little on the subject. So I thought I'd ask here and hope somebody could recommend a kit to me. And any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
car guy

If you don't have the ability to fab and make parts the best thing to do is call Air Ride Technologies.
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM

A couple years back there was an article on a '55 in ( I think ) Rod and Custom where the owner airbagged the whole car. In fact it was on the cover. From what I remember it was a tangerine / off white tutone. It was a mild custom but looked gay due the massive rims that looked like they belonged in a rap video. Air Ride Technology and Fat Man are 2 places to start.
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Neg

Originally Posted by gearheads78
If you don't have the ability to fab and make parts the best thing to do is call Air Ride Technologies.
A friend told me about air ride technologies, but I was really hoping not to have to spend two thousand bucks for this... I guess I'll just keep looking. And if I can't find anything in my price range... I guess I'll just have to start saving. :P
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:48 AM

I agree with the others. Fat Man and Air Ride are the two big names in air bag suspensions. If you are a fabrication guru you might be able to adapt an air bag suspension off of a Lincoln Town Car, or Buick Riviera.
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:42 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Neg
A friend told me about air ride technologies, but I was really hoping not to have to spend two thousand bucks for this... I guess I'll just keep looking. And if I can't find anything in my price range... I guess I'll just have to start saving. :P

Plenty of places to buy hard components out of the truck magazines but you have to do all the fabrication your self

You still have to fab with ART but the kits are made specific to application
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Past Administrator

Speaking of air bag suspension and Lincolns. I was behind a 199s Lincoln yesterday and the suspension was broken. It rode like a lumber wagon. I just can't see why someone would not repair that immidiately.

bouncity, bouncy bounce, draggin it's tail all the way home.
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:26 PM
car guy

Components are very expensive. That why you see so many broken. They can't afford to fix the pieces of caca

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Speaking of air bag suspension and Lincolns. I was behind a 199s Lincoln yesterday and the suspension was broken. It rode like a lumber wagon. I just can't see why someone would not repair that immidiately.

bouncity, bouncy bounce, draggin it's tail all the way home.
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM

I've been told that you have to disable or switch off the ride-levelling mechanism on the Lincolns before you jack them up or they will collapse that way. Supposedly costs several thousand bucks to repair. I guess that's why you see so many in that shape.
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Danny Wiseley
I've been told that you have to disable or switch off the ride-levelling mechanism on the Lincolns before you jack them up or they will collapse that way. Supposedly costs several thousand bucks to repair. I guess that's why you see so many in that shape.
The bags will keep trying to inflate and blow up.
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Past Administrator

Seems like a poor design then. Even so, If I owned a Lincoln and had that problem, I would at least try to find an alternative solution, perhaps some aftermarket load-leveler shocks at least, or something, anything...
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:46 AM
car guy

Seems like a poor design then. Even so, If I owned a Lincoln and had that problem, I would at least try to find an alternative solution, perhaps some aftermarket load-leveler shocks at least, or something, anything...
Still no springs to hold up the car.
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Past Administrator

Then find some springs with a suitable diameter and unsprung height to put in place of the bags. There has to be a way to work around it, someway...
Old November 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Then find some springs with a suitable diameter and unsprung height to put in place of the bags. There has to be a way to work around it, someway...
There probably is a way, but it would involve tools, knowledge, money and a place to work. Things that seem to be in short supply among those I've seen driving those P'sOS around.
DW
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:00 PM

The Lincoln Town Cars in the late 90s also had troubles with valve guides wearing. The 5.0s made teh 307 and the 260 look herculian.