AC delete?

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2008, 08:16 PM

AC delete?

Restoring my 1972 cutlass "s". Originally equipped with air conditioning. Would like to omit from restoration. Still need to cover the very large hole in the firewall. Any ideas?

Thanks,

rickbmac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0205.jpg (85.8 KB, 54 views)
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Check out this thread, i believe most of it was covered in here

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...2-cutlass.html
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:04 AM

A company called Americn Graffiti sells them also. It lets you keep your heat and defroster. They have been taking a while to fill orders but they are worth the wait. Nice piece. Installed one on a '71 skylark and came out great. Jkaz
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Yes, if you read the link in my other post, it shows that I also used the A/C Delete. I even have some before and after pics. And yes it does take awhile to get, but worth it, IMHO

http://www.acdelete.com/index.htm
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Are you going to install Armstrong steering on your Cutlass as well?
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thumbs up AC delete???

Just curious, why delete the AC? Some guys (like me for example) would love to put this option into the car, but it's a lot of work. Did you also remove your electrical, ducting and trim panels? I know it's a personal thing and depends on what you want to do with your car.

BTW, that candy apple red you chose is killer. Please post some updates with pics as the car gets closer to finished.

What kind of options does it have? This car is going to turn heads. (I've been stopped by the cops a few times while driving mine. They just wanted a closer look at the car. Didn't want to push my luck by offering to give them 3 car lengths on a 1/4 mile. hehehe)
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:56 AM

My car originally had a/c. Although it will not be a daily driver, it will be driven in the summers occasionally. Did not plan to reinstall the a/c and found the delete plate online. The cost to restore the a/c system seems to be significant. Will there be any problem utilzing the hardware and ductwork for the heater only?

Thanks Allan, The car originally had shift on the column and bench seat. Changing to dual gate console shift and of course buckets. The 350 has a slight build and a kit in the th350. Changed the rear from an open (I think .273, cant remember) to a .373 posi. Running out of funds so putting her rebuilt all drum brake system back on her. That and the bumpers will be upgraded at a later date.
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Parts place inc has them for a little over 100.00 , they ship quick.
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rickbmac
My car originally had a/c. Although it will not be a daily driver, it will be driven in the summers occasionally. Did not plan to reinstall the a/c and found the delete plate online. The cost to restore the a/c system seems to be significant. Will there be any problem utilzing the hardware and ductwork for the heater only?

Thanks Allan, The car originally had shift on the column and bench seat. Changing to dual gate console shift and of course buckets. The 350 has a slight build and a kit in the th350. Changed the rear from an open (I think .273, cant remember) to a .373 posi. Running out of funds so putting her rebuilt all drum brake system back on her. That and the bumpers will be upgraded at a later date.
Been my experience that anytime my AC went out on me, I still had ambient outside temp blowing through the vents. Heat should be no problem either. But if you put in an AC delete plate, doesn't that also take out your fan and venting options?

Non AC cars have the Alt / Bracket on the side where the AC compressor is.. AC cars would have a 63 amp alt compared to a 37 or 55 amp for non AC. That shouldn't affect you in the slightest.

AC cars also had heavy duty cooling, which can only help you if you're pushing the car harder now. (3:73's = higher rpms)
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:57 PM

The delete boxes allow for blower motor so you still have heat and defrost and venting is not affected.
Old April 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MJAKS462
The delete boxes allow for blower motor so you still have heat and defrost and venting is not affected.
Good to know. Kinda wondered about that.
Old April 25th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I used the acdelete.com unit. It looks good and all but personally if I had to do it over again I would buy from the parts place. The one from the parts place already has the holes in it and the one from acdelete is made of fiberglass and you have to drill the holes in it. Always makes me kind of nervous drilling into fiberglass, especially at the price they charge for the covers. My two cents.

Keith

Wow, I just realized that your original question is from 21 months ago??? Still not done huh? HAHA Took me 18 months to finish my car. Good luck with completing your ride, it's all worth it in the end, believe me!

Last edited by Willidog; April 25th, 2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM

Thank you for the information Keith. I know it has been awhile. Started project in 2000. Been only putting money into her as I can afford it (my wife doesn't think we can ever afford it). Looks like I will be putting a few of the original used parts back on her (bumpers, lenses... until the money starts flowing again and I can do it right. Was never able to drive the car before the restoration began and getting very anxious.
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I know about the wife thing. I just retired from the Navy, my car sat in outside storage in Sa nDiego from 1994 till 2007 while I was stationed overseas. The whole time I was paying storage fees on it and my wife was complaining about it costing too much to keep "that piece of junk." I just kept telling her that I had the car before I had her and I wasn't getting rid of it. Finally got it finished in 2009. Now I am back overseas and the car is setting in storage again until I can either get it over here to Japan, ship it to Ohio where I am from or sell it.

Keith
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:04 AM

Keith,

It is your decision whether or not to keep the car. I believe if you let it go you will always regret it. Whenever I see mine it reminds me of all the work it has taken to get her in the shape she is. She may not be the only one of her kind but will definitely stands alone in a crowd.

http://machutassports.webs.com/apps/...lbumid=9019882
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:54 AM

Unsure

Reasons for removing air conditioning system include that it pulls power away from engine and its additional weight. It will also clean up the firewall.

I need to know all aspects of removing the air.

So far I understand:
Pump is removed (new engine wiring harness purchased)
Will required a delete plate for firewall (I do still require heat)

The AC system has its own wiring harness that runs back to the controls in dash. Will I require a new heater control and wiring harness or will I be able to utilize the same controls?

The ductwork is another area in question. Will replace part of this but would like to put 6-1/2" round speakers in kick panels. Can I just block off this area?

Searched for a thread on this subject with no luck. Is anyone is aware of a thread?

Rick
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Best thing about an air car is the alt brackets aren't over the fuel pump and its easy to buy a water pump for. Also the heater lines are out of the way.
I rip the air off every old car I buy, its in the way no matter what you are doing to the car!
I got my delete box off Ebay but I think it said "The parts place " on the back.
Easy to install, you have to take the inner fender well out.

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:53 AM

GM had AC delete covers to build heater-only cars with AC firewalls in the mid 60s.
Old August 25th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
GM had AC delete covers to build heater-only cars with AC firewalls in the mid 60s.
I did not know that, Joe. Do you have a photo of one?
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Can't wait for this pic!!!
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Has anyone measured the drag on the motor from a non-engaged AC compressor's pulley? I would think it would be close to not measurably small. The weight and servicing points I agree with.
Old November 18th, 2013, 01:10 PM

Restoring my 1972 cutlass "s". Originally equipped with air conditioning. Would like to omit from restoration. Still need to cover the very large hole in the firewall. Any ideas?

Thanks,

rickbmac
Hi mate, I've taken the air conditioning out of the car but still got the main base on the fire wall? Sorry I'm british. I'd like to remove it completely and clean up the engine bay. Did u have any trouble removing it? Cheers
Old December 14th, 2013, 10:02 AM

Air con

Originally Posted by Willidog
I used the acdelete.com unit. It looks good and all but personally if I had to do it over again I would buy from the parts place. The one from the parts place already has the holes in it and the one from acdelete is made of fiberglass and you have to drill the holes in it. Always makes me kind of nervous drilling into fiberglass, especially at the price they charge for the covers. My two cents.

Keith

Wow, I just realized that your original question is from 21 months ago??? Still not done huh? HAHA Took me 18 months to finish my car. Good luck with completing your ride, it's all worth it in the end, believe me!
Old September 4th, 2017, 04:22 PM

Installed delete and blower motor. Delete is plastic. Just realized that I now must add ground as blower motor is no longer self grounded.
Have read that I must use the resistor to have multiple blower motor speeds?
I cannot find a new blower motor capacitor?
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Have read that I must use the resistor to have multiple blower motor speeds?
Yes.

I cannot find a new blower motor capacitor?
Are you talking about the noise suppression capacitor? Google is your friend.

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...GM%23-3906187/

Old September 5th, 2017, 08:33 AM

Yes Joe, that is similar. I have more of a boot style connection at blower.