93 Cutlass Cruiser - High Temp When Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2017, 07:41 PM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

93 Cutlass Cruiser - High Temp When Accelerating

Hello everyone, just a quick question.

I just passed 100K miles on my Cutlass Cruiser.

Drove it from Upstate NY to NYC and back two days ago and all was fine.

Got new tires, an alignment, tire balancing, new battery, and new terminal wires while I was down there for some basic upkeep.

On my way to work today, I noticed the temperature gauge pass the 220 degrees mark when I went to match highway speed on the interstate, then go back to around 150 where it normally stays at. Once I got to the red light around the corner from my job and accelerated from there, it did the same thing.

I just recently had the radiator replaced less than 2 months ago. I am not too mechanically inclined, so I am unsure as to what could be causing this issue.

Thank you in advance for any input!
Old June 12th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Olds Fever

Since you already replaced the radiator flow most likely is not an issue... The problem may be with the electric fans... Fan motor, relay, wiring etc... Do you have a chassis manual to help you check these circuits???

Last edited by CRUZN 66; June 12th, 2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old June 12th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Administrator

What thermostat is in your car, something is wrong that your are runnnig a 150* temp normally.
Old June 12th, 2017, 11:41 AM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What thermostat is in your car, something is wrong that your are runnnig a 150* temp normally.

I couldn't give you an honest answer, because I have no idea. As far as I know. It has never been replaced.

For the 2 years I've owned this vehicle, this had always been "normal" running temp.
Old June 12th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Administrator

If it has not been changed in a long while or you think its original, it may be going bad. Also check your coolant level.
Old June 12th, 2017, 01:11 PM

You had the rad replaced recently ... and they didn't notice that the car wasn't warming up properly. That's not good. Personally it sounds like a stuck thermostat. Isn't opening all the way, and not closing when it should.
Old June 12th, 2017, 01:45 PM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

Originally Posted by Professur
You had the rad replaced recently ... and they didn't notice that the car wasn't warming up properly. That's not good. Personally it sounds like a stuck thermostat. Isn't opening all the way, and not closing when it should.
Checked the coolant, it was bone dry. Just filled it back up. I'm going to replace the thermostat as well just to play it safe. I don't believe it would just get hot merging into a highway with no coolant, but then again I'm not a mechanic by any means. What should a normal running temperature be for this vehicle?
Old June 12th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Administrator

The normal operating temp is probably around 200. The question is where did the coolant go? While your at it you might want to check all your fluid levels. Two main things are 1 if the oil on the dipstick looks milky and 2 check your transmission fluid level and see if its over full.
Old June 12th, 2017, 06:54 PM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The normal operating temp is probably around 200. The question is where did the coolant go? While your at it you might want to check all your fluid levels. Two main things are 1 if the oil on the dipstick looks milky and 2 check your transmission fluid level and see if its over full.
Admittedly, I only checked the reservoir which was bone dry. My engine was still hot since I just parked and got to work, so I had my coworker who was leaving go pick me up some coolant. I'm going to check the cap in a little bit before I clock out.

When I'm off Thursday I'm going to check all my fluids and oil and air filters. I honestly can not recall the last time I changed my oil, so that's getting done this weekend either way.

I love this vehicle, always wanted it since I was a child, then finally convinced my grandfather to sell it to me. When it does decide to crap out which I hope is no time soon, I seriously planned on replacing the engine. I personally have never seen another Cutlass Cruiser on the road, ever.

The only thing I do want to modify at the moment is get it painted or plastidipped matte black, then I'll be 100% happy with it cosmetically. The hood has some real bad crows feet on it...

​​
Old June 12th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Check your fluids before you drive it next, trans is checked when warm, running and in park.