72 cutlass 442 w/350 convertible questions

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2019, 04:49 AM

72 cutlass 442 w/350 convertible questions

Hi all, I have a few questions about things with my car

1. I’d like to add oil pressure, temp, and possibly voltage gauge, what are you guys using that look good and where is the best place to mount it?

2. Is it worth swapping out the clock for a tic rock tach (any reason I shouldn’t)

3. I’d like to get a little throatier sound out of my exhaust, muffler back is rotted anyways so I might as well do new mufflers, what will give me a nice rumble without being too loud, what I have appears to be a stock replacement

4. Does anyone know where to find bench seat parts? My spring cables underneath are all junk and the seat can’t be moved, are parts available or do I need to find a donor seat?

has anyone swapped the QJ carb out for better performance? My idle is all over the place and I’m wondering if swapping to something more reliable might also give a little more power.

thats enough for now and I welcome and appreciate any feedback
thx mike
Old June 2nd, 2019, 06:23 AM

Here’s one opinion-

1. Quick & easy 3 gauge mount to center, lower dash is the norm. I believe a member here sells modified 8 track consoles that would be nice to hold gauges. Other than than it’s up to your imagination & ingenuity.

2. You can get OE or aftermarket Rally Pack, aftermarket multi gauges, mount aftermarket tach in the hole......

3. Search mufflers, the general standard are large case Dynomax Sonic Turbos, performance sound, no drone w/ full exh system, never obnoxious. Probably the perfect choice for your car.

4. Don’t know but if you want a fully functional, nice condition seat for cheap money, take a ride to Hartford & see me.

5. That Qjet is the best carb you can have - fitment, reliability, drivability & performance. Probably best thing is to contact Everyday Performance in Granby, CT & send him your carb. If you really want to nail it then you (or someone) fine tune it with wide band gauge but if car is pretty stock you’ll likely be fairly close. We usually set them up a little richer than originally calibrated as is usually necessary. Advance kit for distributor, a detailed tune will get you what you can ring out of the combo you’re working with. Fighting low compression so there is only so much you can do without wading in more seriously.

Biggest bang for buck after tune is to install lower ratio rear end gears (mid 3’s) to retain comfortable highway use but will get you a much better kick accelerating. Limited slip differential should be added if not presently equipped.

Last edited by bccan; June 2nd, 2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the reply, good info. I will definitely look for the modified 8 track holder, I was thinking something along those lines anyways..
as far as the carb goes, I’ll deal with it over the winter most likely as I want to be able to use the car now, but that sounds like a plan to keep it. I would rather be somewhat stock anyways.

ill be in touch about the seat, mine is in real nice shape except for one headrest.( which poses another question, I have single center post headrest but everything I look up shows two post, is my seat wrong?)
Old June 2nd, 2019, 07:55 AM

Single “bar” headrest for bench is normal, buckets have 2 rods.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 08:49 AM

Ok, Thx
Old June 2nd, 2019, 12:17 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

these gauge clusters are made by a board member - he can make them to a number of different configurations - this one is in my '72 convertible - a 3-hole 2-1/16 cluster to which I added water, oil and volt gauges. The power panel underneath it was my own add-on

You do have to cut a center section out of your under-dash A/C panel to install the cluster housing and the general measurements on where to cut should be easily found in a posting search.

I also installed a Parts Place tach/clock combo in place of my blank panel and it's a great add-on for not a lot of money. Simple hookup without cutting anything up.

Last edited by 70sgeek; June 2nd, 2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 09:55 AM

70sGeek,

Who makes that cluster? I have one similiar to yours in my 72 442 that I picked up a few months ago.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Here is the link to the gauge mounting bracket. There are many styles of gauges you can get and they are very easy to hook up. You just have to choose between mechanical of electrical.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-summer-33950/