1972 Cutlass: Rear window experts out there?

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Runner

1972 Cutlass: Rear window experts out there?

It was a day as far as weather goes so I was going to cruise in my 72 Cutlass Supreme with all the windows down. I go my driver side rear rolled down (not power windows) without much problems. After enjoying the cruise and getting back to my place, I was going to roll them all up. Unfortunately, the driver side rear quarter window would only roll up about an inch and then get stuck. I took of some of the interior to see if something was jammed, but I don't know enough about how the window works to really figure it out. Any pointers?

Below are some of the pictures I'm working with. Can you point out what I may need to adjust in which picture?

P.S. My interior is blue. Camera phone kinda makes everything look purple.

Picture 1:
lfRsM.jpg

Picture 2:
vFIHE.jpg

Picture 3:
The door handle is aftermarket and doesn't stay on too well. When trying to roll it up, I do make sure to push it in so the "teeth" grab onto the window crank.
AlscQ.jpg

Picture 4:
Qr4fZ.jpg

Picture 5:
k8Qvx.jpg

Picture 6:
The thinner looking metal bar from the gear (maybe?) to the metal piece on the window seems to be where the stress is when I try to crank up the window. Again, not sure why it doesn't just roll up.
l8JpN.jpg

Thanks in advance
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Kinda hard to tell from the pictures. What I'd look for is check all the plastic wheels and sliders to make sure one didn't break and hang up. If they all look good, then look to see if anything has come loose in there or possibly been bent. OR... is it the glass? I believe its suppose to tilt as it goes up. Did it hang up on the window fuzzy, or did the gasket in the chrome strip where it meets the door glass come loose and catch on something? Can you grab the glass and move it forward or backwards? John
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:11 PM

IIrc, there is supposed to be a grooved wheel inside that track? Looks like it broke & out towards the rear of the car when it did. Look for small bits of whitish plastic in the bottom of that area. Take the other side off & compare, that should tell you what's up.
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM

The pics are probably about as good as you could get but, as 2blu said, they don't show much.
Try grabbing the top of the window and pulling up on it to help as you crank it upward with the handle. Maybe once you get it up, you will be able to see down in there better and find the broken part. You'll probably find a broken guide roller down in there. The repo places have most if not all those window parts. If they don't, I'm sure someone here and hook you up.
Another option that you can try is taking the arm rest off the other side and compare the two regulators for missing/broken/bent parts.

By the way, you mentioned that the after market handle won't stay on well. You do have the clip on the handle that locks it onto the crank shaft don't you?
Good luck,
Randy
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:15 PM

Shameless plug, I have windows & original handles & clips if you need any parts.
Scott
Old March 14th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Runner

The previous owner is nice enough to let me bother him about questions about the car and such and was able to tell me the "trick" on which way to push the window to make sure the innards aligned properly so I did get the window up. Maybe I'll gave brave enough to go in there and fix everything to where the windows easily go up and down.

Thanks for the help

@oldspackrat - I have a friend that has 3 spares which I'm going to test out. If they work really well, I may get in touch with you about getting a fourth.

Thanks
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:31 AM

That roller in the picture is broken, which could be part of the problem. The outer rollers are not reproduced - used is best source.
How do the other two look? The lower center one in your picture APPEARS to be off the track, but hard to tell.
The center one is available repro and it often breaks and/or locks up.

Here is what the glass looks like.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...57602930020786

And that pesky edge roller...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...7602930020786/

At this point you might as well remove the window, as you will need to anyway to replace the rollers. You can clean and lube everything better, too.
Remove the interior panel, loosen the window LOWER stop, crank the window down more, remove the outer felt strip, remove the regulator (4 bolts), disengage regulator from window channel, remove regulator while holding window up, pull window straight up through the slot the window protrudes from.
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:45 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

That roller is definitely broken, and I agree with LnR that the lower roller looks like it's off the track. Before you take the window out (which you'll need to do to replace the roller) I advise that you take some time to really learn the mechanism. It will help when you go to put it back together. I recently did this same repair and I did the "I'll figure it out when I go to put it back together," thing - and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. Just my $0.02.

Hey Oldspackrat, do you have any of the springs that go on the winow cranks? My rears don't have them, but the fronts do, and they make the action of the crank nice and smooth.