1970 Sport Mirror replacement glass

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2020, 07:05 AM

1970 Sport Mirror replacement glass

I just bought a Parts Place RH replacement mirror glass. It does not fit, it is 1/4" wider than the frame. Can the edge be ground down with a Dremmel?

Does anyone sell one that actually fits?

1/4" overlap

Glass 5-1/4" long, height looks OK

Frame 5' long
Old September 10th, 2020, 08:48 AM

An auto glass company may be able to sand down edge to fit? They also may just custom cut another pc.
Old September 10th, 2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by yorkman
I just bought a Parts Place RH replacement mirror glass. It does not fit, it is 1/4" wider than the frame. Can the edge be ground down with a Dremmel?

1/4" overlap

Frame 5' long
wondering if that is for 1971-72. 1970 sport mirrors are slightly different.
Old September 10th, 2020, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by yorkman

1/4" overlap

Frame 5' long
they must use the same pattern as OPGI. I bought a set for my 70 sport mirrors from them and they were way off. I emailed and called and they offered nothing to resolve so I brought mine to a glass shop and they ground them to fit. They fit great after. I think the aftermarket is just off on their sizing. I Should send them my cardboard template I made to fix their pattern. Lack of quality in repop parts amazes me sometimes

Old September 10th, 2020, 04:31 PM

I bought my replacement mirror from The Parts Place and I had no problems with the mirror fitting into the housing. The only problem that I see is the screw that came with the mirror. It should be a little longer.
Old September 11th, 2020, 05:29 AM

I wonder, or speculate, some of the mirrors they designate to fit 70 sport mirror are actually meant for 70 Mopar?? They are similar in shape but a tad bigger. Maybe someone without any Olds knowledge just assumed all oval mirror glass was the same size? I dunno. Can't figure why someone would be that dumb. I could see maybe 1/16" difference, but dam! That's more than a tad off.
Old September 12th, 2020, 09:00 PM

I bought '70 sport mirror replacement glass as well from TPP and it fit fine. Looks like things have changed....big surprise huh!?

They should resolve the problem.....it's not like you're using some smaller mirror backer. Then again, they are keeping up their record of poor customer service when dealing with bad/defective parts so in that regard it's not a big surprise.

DO NOT EVER buy TPP's '70 sport mirror glass already mounted in THEIR diecast metal pedestal. THEY ARE complete JUNK...the diecast materiel they make the pedestals from is complete garbage. I've had to of their pedestals just snap off in random areas. Very weak diecast material. Again, not a big surprise considering they come from TPP.
Old September 13th, 2020, 04:01 AM

70 sport mirror replacent glass

I advised the Parts Place of the problem. Their response was that "their glass is designed to fit over and on top of the cracked glass" so that you don't have to dig out the broken glass.

Patton, thanks for the heads-up on the (lack of) quality of the complete replacement mirror assembly. I was considering that as a next option. I can only assume that junk is inside the reproduction sport mirrors that are being sold now. Bob
Old September 13th, 2020, 06:37 AM

I went through the exact same problem. Bought the glass in 2014 for a car - it fit perfectly. Tried buying it twice again since - both too big. X2 on 70Post "assembly" piece.
Old September 13th, 2020, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
I bought '70 sport mirror replacement glass as well from TPP and it fit fine. Looks like things have changed....big surprise huh!?

They should resolve the problem.....it's not like you're using some smaller mirror backer. Then again, they are keeping up their record of poor customer service when dealing with bad/defective parts so in that regard it's not a big surprise.

DO NOT EVER buy TPP's '70 sport mirror glass already mounted in THEIR diecast metal pedestal. THEY ARE complete JUNK...the diecast materiel they make the pedestals from is complete garbage. I've had to of their pedestals just snap off in random areas. Very weak diecast material. Again, not a big surprise considering they come from TPP.
From the OP's pictures at least, it looks like they sent him 71-72 glass instead of the 70 glass.