Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

What should I do?

Old January 26th, 2018, 10:56 AM

What should I do?

I’m just reading through this trying to figure how to go about this. I have a 68 cutlass supreme and I pulled a 4.8 v8 out of a 2003 Silverado. I was reading a page where they added a lot of after market accessories and they pulled 800 hp out of the little engine. I would love to be able to do the same but I’m almost 18 with not a lot of money or know how. So my question is what swap kits give me the most flexible setup to allow for installation of some after market accessories. An also should I follow what I’ve previously seen or read or form my own combination? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
This is where I read hoe they pulled 799 hp
: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-supercharger/
Old January 28th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Administrator

I moved your post to its own thread. There are many ways to do this, reinventing the wheel is probably the costliest. The same conversion kits that fit a 68 Chevelle will fit an Olds. Also something to consider is your transmission. The BOP bolt patterns are different than the engine your installing, so either an adapter or replacement is necessary.
Old January 28th, 2018, 08:55 AM

almost 18 and no money!not a good combo,why not work on getting the engine in and set up and running reliably THEN worry about boosting the h.p.
Old January 28th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good advice but that still likely to go over his budget, You have the cost of a transmission, motor mounts, a radiator and probably some headers just to get started. You don't want to get in the middle of this thing and then run out of money. Plan it out as to what you are going to have to have and then get your costs before you start. You are probably going to need some help. This is probably a challenging project for an 18 year old. I am 71 and I know it would be a challenge for me.
Old January 28th, 2018, 09:20 AM
Rocket Renegade!

What engine's in there now? You can do a lot with an SBO.
Old January 28th, 2018, 11:08 AM

There's a lot more to dropping an 800 hp engine into a car than just dropping an 800 hp engine into a car. Are you hoping to be able to drive the car in the next five years?

Apart from the increased likelihood of having to fix parts not holding up to the power, which seems pretty typical of high hp street cars, you have a lot of safety upgrades to get done - brakes, suspension, possibly roll bar, rear end and so forth. It all costs money...

With very little know how, building a car is a great way to acquire the knowledge and experience but there's line in the sand that when you cross it, you're going to be needing help and services from someone who needs to be paid for their time. Again, more money.

cherokee people and '69442ragtop both offer some sage advice. You're young and there will be lots of time in the future to build an expensive, fast car. Start with the basics for now. You can still have a LOT of fun with a 350 SBO and some bolt on parts. Then move forward from there as money and knowldge permit!
Old January 28th, 2018, 03:10 PM

I own a couple LS swaps. At 18 and on a limited budget, just get it running first. No add ons.
Second, don't chase dyno numbers. Build for what the car will be used for. 800hp may not be a good engine to get you reliably to work daily.
Third, if you think you "need" big hp, expect to put a huge investment in transmissions, drivetrain, etc....and they'll still break.