Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Quality of backhoe's

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:32 PM
Always room for one more

Quality of backhoe's

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know if Branson tractors/equipment are any good? I'm looking at buying a backhoe and the Branson place not too far from me has some deals going. Don't know anyone with one and I'd hate to put down that much cash on something that won't last.

What I really want is a Ford 4500 but those are far and few between, and get snapped up as soon as they hit the market. The Branson, if it's a good machine, looks like it would fit my needs.

Thanks.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:40 PM
72 Olds CS

check out the tractor by net forum good forum with lots of knowledge.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/

there is a branson dealer near me as well, and i had considered them several years ago but i lucked into a New Holland TLB from my friends dad when he moved south. The New Holland TLB was what i wanted but couldnt afford.....15 years later no issues. My bud bought a near new Kioti and overall has had good luck but did have the loader repaired ( a known Kioti issue)

My take is the Fords, JDs and and Cubs are near the top, the korean tractors are OK but not as robust and the JIn Mas and other chinese tractors are as good as the chinese repop stuff for our olds !

Another friend has a (chinese brand starts w L, lenar maybe ?) tractor and while its not as tough or user friendly as the NH he is super handy w a welder and is a machinist so he can overcome most shortcomings by re-engineering parts...
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:46 AM
Lansing built

Hi Mike,

This is what I do for a living is sell equipment! Mainly lawn to agriculture equipment.

The problem with Branson, TYM, LS, Kioti and Mahindra is the dealer network and support! If it breaks your SOL. They have to order parts from over seas which from what I have been told from customers who either have them or buddy/family member that owns one, it takes weeks to get it repaired!

I would suggest you go with #1 Kubota #2 John Deere #3 New Holland

Those brands have everything from lawn, construction and agriculture.
And at least up in here in Michigan there is a dealer within a half an hour.

I can tell you that for Kubota and New Holland they both have at least five parts warehouses in the US and several in Canada! And if you were not aware of it, Ford has become New Holland

I will highly suggest Kubota due to quality, reliability, resale and the biggest thing for you is that they have 4 plants in your state 2 in Jefferson and Gainesville.

If you hustle Kubota has 0%-60 months exp 12-31-15. From the sounds of it your looking for a TLB? Kubota L39 or L45 should be barking up the right tree for you.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; December 24th, 2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old December 24th, 2015, 04:38 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

X2 Kubota,

I bought mine 9 years ago, Grand L 3130 with front end loader and never looked back. A little smaller than what you are looking at.

Parts- I replaced my battery last fall.

My Brother in law bought a 54, I think, 2 years ago. Loader and hoe. He is happy with it.

As far as the hoe goes, and this is for all the tractor detachable ones, they are not as powerful as the commercial grade machines. You just need to have a little more patients.
Old December 24th, 2015, 07:10 AM

You should get three for Christmas.

Backhoe, 'hoe, 'hoe

sorry could not resist
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Always room for one more

Hey that's very clever.

Thanks you guys. I can't afford a Kubota or a Deere, so I thought one of these toy backhoes would be okay. It will take longer to do a job with a smaller machine, but if I own it then I'm not under any time constraints to get it back.
Old December 24th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Lansing built

Ok Mike,

What are doing with it (digging depth) excavating or trenching? What's the budget?

Pat
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Always room for one more

The first thing on the list is to dig out the foundation of my house. I have a block foundation that is failing and I want to dig it out myself instead of paying someone to do it. After that, it will be pulling up tree stumps, moving dirt from here to there, grading, and whatever else I always say, gee I wish I had a backhoe.

I looked at Kubota's website and the least expensive backhoe that I saw was 36+ . No. I can imagine a Deere would be north of that. I could swing the Branson at 16-18, it would be like a small car loan. Otherwise the Ford is around 6-8, when you can get your hands on one.
Old December 24th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Lansing built

Ok, see if the BX25D 5.5 digging depth front end loader. Small and you have to work at it little longer. Comes with a 48" front bucket with 550lbs of lift capacity at the front of the bucket. On the back hoe you have 6",9" or 12" bucket.

If my numbers are correct in my head high $18 to low 19 with a $1250.00 instant rebate so $17800.00 plus tax and doc fee should be $18600.00

Zero down 0% for 60 months payment $310.00/ month.

Or another thought is Massey Ferguson 1710 which is a twin to what I described above. AGCO is the parent company which is based in Duluth GA.

Their prices are slightly higher like a few hundred. They are offering 0% for 84 so lets say $19500 with tax doc fee. Nothing down $232.14 per month.

Last edited by 1970cs; December 24th, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old December 24th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Olds Fever

Kubota... I have a BX25 and it does everything I need it to do... I also purchased a post hole digger attachment for it...
Old December 25th, 2015, 12:30 AM
Always room for one more

Wow thanks Pat. I know what I did. When I went to Kubota's website I looked at the only tractor that had a picture of a backhoe. I really like that Massey Ferguson. Honestly, that 4500 would be too big to maneuver around my property. I'm going to check out these two tractors. And thanks everyone for weighing in.
Old December 25th, 2015, 04:36 AM
Lansing built

No biggie Mike! I was off for the record not at work (LOL) so what did I do, talked to a customer on my cell and did advertising on C.L. and this. FYI you need to know a couple of things, I sell Kubota 7 to 1 so my knowledge is better on the numbers and these numbers are close depending on your selling dealers margins? The Kubota number should be spot on, again depending on dealer margins.

Also if you going to do this, programs end on 12-31-15 and that maybe 12-30 like us we are not going to be there on the 31st. So get on it either Saturday or Monday depending on their schedules. The Fed has moved the lending rate up and this will all change 1-02-16.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; December 25th, 2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old December 25th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Always room for one more

Ah shoot! I was actually planning on buying around February, when I get my profit sharing, but I guess I better get with it. I've been reading the various manufacturer's websites, lots of good information. Deere's and New Holland's websites I found to be rather difficult to navigate.
Old December 25th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Lansing built

New Holland really does not have a subcompact TLB. Deere, Kubota, and Massey that I am aware of.

I am fairly confident that Kubota will go to 0%48 or .99% for 60????
Massey will 0%-72 or 0% for 60. Massey until 4th qtr had been running 0%-72.

If you get prices on Kubota, Massey or New Holland and you want me to take a look at for you to make sure you are getting a fair deal. Shoot me an e-mail with the quotes if you want or can I just stay out of the middle of it also.

Pat
Old December 26th, 2015, 06:26 AM
72 Olds CS

Yeah that's weird I just took a quick look at the NH site and didn't see any consumer type tlbs. Just farm or construction grade $tuff.

Mines a NH 1998 TC29d. A 3 cyl 29 hp diesel. I have a nh loader and woods bh. Works great the bh n loader are quick detach so it really takes 10 mins to take off the bh (never took the loader off) but it takes another 20 mins to put the 3pth arms and another attachment on. This is a dream compared to the 8Ns I've had previuosly.

The BH has its own subframe, I have read the 3pth BHs can be harder on the equipment.
Old December 26th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Lansing built

I will not sell a backhoe with out a subframe! I have seen lift covers and top link anchor brackets ripped off the tractor. Now you just bought a differential housing.

Pat
Old December 27th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Always room for one more

Okay Pat here's a question. What are your thoughts on an extended warranty? At first glance the Kubota website says it's an option at 0.00 . I don't plan on beating the hell out of this thing but I do plan on keeping it awhile.

There's a Kubota place and a John Deere place close to me, so I'll check them out probably Tuesday. If I don't like what I see, there's a MF place just south of Macon that isn't a bad drive. The Deere is about 3000 more than the others, and I can upgrade to a 12" (or was that 16") backhoe bucket for nothing.

It would be cool having a Deere because we are from the same town. Not sure that's worth 3K. I moved when I was 3.
Old December 27th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Lansing built

Well Mike, this what I tell my customers I make commission on extended warranty don't buy it, not worth the $700/year for it. They will be very reliable for ten years or better with out repairs. You do a have an option to purchase after the fact.

There a few things about the Deere that are facts. The deere has fiberglass hood and fenders. And replacement parts and maintenance items are salty.

Kubota hood and fenders are steel. If you buy the Kubota the folding ROPS will have to be folded to enter a standard 7' opening.

Pop the hood on every manufacturer and you find someone elses engines except for Kubota and Yanmar.

FYI the Massey has a 5 year power train warranty at no extra charge! Kubota and Deere should go to 3rd year only. Yes, I did check Georgia; Massey dealers only about 8 in the entire state.

Another thing that could help delay the purchase. If the selling dealer does not have the unit in stock, they can program protect it until it arrives!
Pat
Old December 27th, 2015, 04:22 PM

i bought a used terramite t7 from an equipment co. i put a new engine in it and its been a very nice piece. it will dig a 7.5 ft hole,lift engines. and its a riot to play with
Old December 27th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Lansing built

Terramite units are decent. I had one at the rental store I used to work at.

T5 uses a Kohler command gasser those have been notorious head gasket eaters. Current T7 production uses guess who's engine (kubota).

I don't see the finance offers on their website and they, as a corporation are closed this week.

Pat
Old December 28th, 2015, 05:42 AM

Quality of backhoe

One option is to buy a used backhoe Several people have bought used,heavy equipment from Ritchie Bros. Auctions. They are worldwide but have several upcoming auctions in the U.S. Denver is a regular auction site but there are several places alot closer to where you live. The key to improving your odds of getting a good piece of equipment is to take someone with you that knows heavy equipment and things to look for just like you do when buying a used car. Good luck. Here is their website info.

Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

Company · rbauction.com

Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers is an industrial auctioneer. The company is headquartered in Burnaby, a suburb of Metro Vancouver, and has 110 locations in 25 countries and 44 auction sites worldwide.
Old December 28th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Lansing built

Mike will have to speak for himself. I think you have to have a check in hand or be pre-qualified for finance. Used equipment runs 5% or better for tier 1 plus ten percent down.

Pat
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Always room for one more

If I were to buy my Ford of course it would be used, but I decided that I wanted to buy something new, with a warranty, that way I knew it wasn't misused at all.

Had a nice long drive today and decided it's really going to be between the Kubota and the Deere. If I need to return for service I don't want to drive an hour plus to the MF guy. The other two are about 10 minutes from me.

I actually would like to have a Deere, and if they will match the price of the Kubota that's what I'll do. I don't want to get into a whole thing about the global economy, but Deere is from Illinois and Kubota isn't.

So we'll see what happens tomorrow when I go shopping!
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:48 PM

FWIW, I've been told that all the blue little tractors are made in the same factory, some get NH decals, others LS decals
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Krom
FWIW, I've been told that all the blue little tractors are made in the same factory, some get NH decals, others LS decals
That is 100 percent correct! We abandoned the 50 hp and below New Hollands due to poor sales when they switched to LS as a supplier. We would love to have Shibaura tractor back. 1975 to 2010 builders of the New Holland compacts.

Pat
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Always room for one more

Well I ended up with a John Deere 1025R. I saw the Kubota first, asked the guy a lot of questions. Asked him, if I go down the street to Deere what will I see and why is the Kubota better? He gave me a couple vague things and just pointed out things that tractor had. He did give me a printout of the financing and all the various charges. Price of his tractor 19K.

So I went down the street to Deere. Asked him a lot of questions. Asked him about financing. He said 0% for 60. His tractor 23K. If I wanted to do something this month he could do a little better. I said, can you match Kubota? After hemming and hawing he said yes. Well, he got within 900. Messed with the numbers a little more, got a couple more hundred. Said something about a qualifying implement, not sure what he was talking about, but I got some dirt digger and a couple more hundred off. So he ended up within about 300 of Kubota. I said, I'll cancel my plans and take it today.

Being completely objective, I actually liked the Deere more. I liked the salesman more(who was the GM of the place). I'm happy with what I brought home. Now to put it to work...

Thanks Pat for your insight and everyone for weighing in. I've said I was going to get one of these for years, now was the time.
Old December 30th, 2015, 03:04 AM
Lansing built

Congrats on your choice! It's a lot better product than the Branson.

Wow sounds like you had a poor sales person at the Kubota dealer

I have mentioned some things the deere doesn't do well. I did spot something else (moot point) the gear shift is up high. Have you swiveled the seat to see how easily it clears that?

FYI you were already leaning towards the Deere.

Pat
Old December 30th, 2015, 06:15 AM
72 Olds CS

Sounds like a good deal slant!

What's ls?
Old December 30th, 2015, 06:28 AM

Mike, Congrats WTF is a "dirt digger" ?
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Always room for one more

You're right, Pat, that's why I went to Kubota first. I figured he'd make me a smokin' deal. Nope. I didn't swivel the seat on the Deere but the Kubota guy fumbled and had a heck of a time showing me how that seat swiveled. I would have taken my new tractor out and dug something up just to be using it today, but it's raining cats and dogs.

Jamesbo this digger thing you take the backhoe off and attach a bar to the 3pt hitch, and the bar sticks down into the ground and busts up the dirt behind you as you drive along. Not sure I'd ever use this thing, but buying a qualifying implement knocked a couple hundred bucks off the tractor. Must have been a good deal because the guy figured this out after I left to get my trailer, and my total price was less after the digger was figured in. Hm.

Funny thing about the Branson, which is what I started looking at in the first place, was everywhere I read about them the owners complained about having to put a clutch in them repeatedly, and that it was an expensive repair. Some were even replaced during the warranty period but weren't covered under warranty.
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:59 AM

Sounds kinda like a sub soiler FWIW It will help bust up dirt but leave it ruff as a cob

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsoiler