Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

What Cluster Panel

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2016, 02:12 PM

What Cluster Panel

I'm getting some great ideas on the 5.3L/4L60e swap into my '49 Olds. I am now almost certain I will be going with a Flaming River steering column connected to a rack power steering setup.
Now I've got to decide on a new cluster panel. I have the old one, but totally inadequate for my new engine. Sometime ago, I read up a little on a Dakota cluster panel. Anyone with experience with one of these? Any other suggestions?
Old January 31st, 2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsr4me
I'm getting some great ideas on the 5.3L/4L60e swap into my '49 Olds. I am now almost certain I will be going with a Flaming River steering column connected to a rack power steering setup.
Now I've got to decide on a new cluster panel. I have the old one, but totally inadequate for my new engine. Sometime ago, I read up a little on a Dakota cluster panel. Anyone with experience with one of these? Any other suggestions?
The Dakota panel I read about is part number VHX-490. Great looking panel but it's analog and I don't know if it will work with the computerized output of 2000 5.3L.
Old February 10th, 2016, 04:08 PM

You cant go wrong with the dakota panel. The speedometer will be a stepper motor electric unit that you can calibrate with your modern transmission. You will need an autometer 2268 adapter for the oil pressure sending unit if you want to use it from the factory sending unit location. The only real hassle with ls style engines is that these engines dont have a good place for a temp sending unit. I used a fitting for the radiator hose using something like this http://m.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2283. Good luck and keep up the good work. By the way, i was very happy with my engine/transmission harness from psi conversions.
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:39 AM

With the Dakota adapters and updated sending units, why not use your original gauges?
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jozw30
With the Dakota adapters and updated sending units, why not use your original gauges?
I like the appearance Joe. It will complement the appearance of the Flaming River steering column I hope to get. They both come in chrome or black, whichever I choose.
I also liked it's ability to clock 0-60mph, and quarter mile times. I'm not sure how it does it, but I did read about this capability.
Bob
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:46 AM

No worries Bob, it's your build. Just offering alternatives.

There are Bluetooth OBDII adapters and smartphone apps that give you all the cool dash board calculator stuff (ET, acceleration, fuel mileage, etc) plus read codes and have cool graphics.....for a lot less $.

If you like how the reproduction Dakota Digital gauge cluster looks, go for it. That's what building a "custom" is all about!
Old February 11th, 2016, 08:43 AM

No worries Bob, it's your build. Just offering alternatives.

There are Bluetooth OBDII adapters and smartphone apps that give you all the cool dash board calculator stuff (ET, acceleration, fuel mileage, etc) plus read codes and have cool graphics.....for a lot less $.

If you like how the reproduction Dakota Digital gauge cluster looks, go for it. That's what building a "custom" is all about!
Thanks Joe. I can tell you're not totally in agreement, but I appreciate your inputs. I really like what you're doing with your car and you've given me some great ideas for mine.
I do have an iPhone ap that gives me trip mileage, speed, and tracking options. I don't have the complete ap, so I don't know what other options it offers.
Ps; will you be at Good Guys next month?

Last edited by Oldsr4me; February 11th, 2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old February 12th, 2016, 04:45 AM

I'm just jealous because they developed a complete cluster for the 49-50 and not 54-55.....

I think I will be at Goodguys that Saturday with the W30.

Last edited by jozw30; February 12th, 2016 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:21 AM

I'm just jealous because they developed a complete cluster for the 49-50 and not 54-55.....

I think I will be at Goodguys that Saturday with the W30.
Ha ha. That makes me feel better Joe. I saw that panel last year and I was impressed.
I was hoping to go to the Roadster National in Sacramento starting today, but my wife has made plans to celebrate my sister's birthday in Pismo Beach this weekend...go figger. :-)
Have fun.
Bob
Old February 21st, 2016, 02:51 PM

I bought Speed Hut gauges and customized them. I modified my dash to hold the gauges since they were a different size. I like them and they are all programmable to your set up

1456095041021.jpg
Old February 23rd, 2016, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by CutLS
I bought Speed Hut gauges and customized them. I modified my dash to hold the gauges since they were a different size. I like them and they are all programmable to your set up

Attachment 131809
The Speed Hut gauges look very nice a your dash. I have limited space on the concave dash of my '49 Olds, and the Dakota is a perfect fit without any modifications that I can see. They come in both analog and digital gauges which will be great to adapt to my CSB 5.3L engine.
Attached Images