Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

SBC 350 PCV question

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

SBC 350 PCV question

So I got a second hand Holley 1460 (80508-3) 750CFM, works great, but there is no port for the PCV valve on my engine to pull vacuum, only one for the brakes. It was on a Ford, and I know they pull from the manifold, so I dunno if that matters, but it's otherwise completely fine. Was gonna put this carb on the '79, but I really like the way it runs so the '79 will get the Summit 600.

I tried using a T to make the PCV pull from the same vacuum as the brakes, but my brakes really sucked when I did that, not enough vacuum I guess.

Where else can I hook up the PCV valve? The only ports on the carburetor as follows:

1 ported vacuum for distributor advance
1 manifold for transmission
1 manifold for brake booster

The base plate has a flat spot where there should be another vacuum port, but there is not. I have an adapter under it that adapts it from square to spread bore, I was thinking I could either drill that or put a T on the manifold vacuum source at the heater vacuum port. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Ben
Old May 17th, 2015, 03:33 PM

The PCV is a big vacuum leak, so it needs to connect at the base of the carb and not on an individual cylinder runner. Putting it on a runner would likely cause a lean misfire on that cylinder. Drilling the adapter would be my choice.
Old May 17th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by Fun71
The PCV is a big vacuum leak, so it needs to connect at the base of the carb and not on an individual cylinder runner. Putting it on a runner would likely cause a lean misfire on that cylinder. Drilling the adapter would be my choice.
Alright I'll have to do that as soon as possible. I can't really do anything about it right now, after putting gas in my car for the week and buying the Holley I'm broke

I wasn't sure if I'd get good vacuum from the adapter or not, but now I know, thanks for the info.
Old May 17th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Can you tie the brake booster directly to the manifold? Then connect the PCV where the brake booster was connected.
Old May 17th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Can you tie the brake booster directly to the manifold? Then connect the PCV where the brake booster was connected.
I literally have no idea why I didn't think of this.. Where is the facepalm smiley? I'll have to get a T with a large and small side, as the vacuum line for the climate control is rather small, could probably fit in the line for the brakes.

Upon reading this I literally had the realization that I may have spent a bit much time spray painting today, even with a good mask it kind of messes with your head.
Old May 18th, 2015, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
That was my tought too.

Have u a project tread about the black delta btw?
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by Oldsragger
That was my tought too.

Have u a project tread about the black delta btw?
No, I'm kinda lazy like that, sorry.

I can start one if you like though. I can easily look up all the parts I've put on.