Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

LS Motor Conversion into A Body Cutlass

Old October 9th, 2012, 02:00 PM

About a month back, I saw a 68 Cutlass Convert. at a cruise night and it had an LS series motor under the hood. The car had the factory console installed and it looked to be in the proper location. Automatic trans.

I guess my question is, is there a specific combination, out of a specific year vette, or camaro, etc that can be used as a "bolt" in swap. Are custom mounts always needed? I got down close to the ground and I couldn't see anything custom underneath the car, it almost looked as if the car came with the motor. Unfortunately, I never caught up to the owner to talk to him, so I'm asking here.

I've been debating looking to get the drive line overhauled. It just doesn't put out what I want, albeit it runs really well. Custom "crate" turn keys oldsmobile 350's are running close to $7,000 for the motor alone, and local shops want dang near $3000 for a stock rebuild. The LS route, I can get 350hp+ easy, with a transmission too, for $4000, new, with a 24 month warranty. It's looking appealing.

I looked through this subforum, and found a lot of custom stuff, not really anything like it appears this guy did. Just curious.
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Check the Chevelle forums - same car, different sheetmetal.
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:42 AM

There have been a lot of A body swaps. It is a bolt in swap with everything available these days. Pretty much any LS/vortec bolt in. All you need are Olds to chevy frame mounts, adapter plates, the correct oil pan to clear the frame (I used a CTS-V pan), and exhaust (f body). Nice thing about these motors is that almost all parts are interchangable, so not much custom is required.
Check out LS1tech conversion forum. There a sticky with over a dozen 68-72 A body swaps threads.
My build thread.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-iii-swap.html
Old October 28th, 2012, 01:59 PM
TRW

Hi JPC647, you don't live in Mass, do you? I have a LY6 in my 68 Cutlass S convertible with a factory console and a TH400. The auto trannies are easy the sticks are more of a problem with the factory consoles. If you have some specific questions on the install, ask away.

Tom
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by TRW
Hi JPC647, you don't live in Mass, do you? I have a LY6 in my 68 Cutlass S convertible with a factory console and a TH400. The auto trannies are easy the sticks are more of a problem with the factory consoles. If you have some specific questions on the install, ask away.

Tom

I do live in Mass! Have you been to the Kimballs show in Lancaster, MA? Was that you I saw there about 2 months ago!?

Honestly, It'd like to know everything about the swap. The hood was only open a little when I looked at (your?) car and I couldn't see much. Did you have to have custom motor mounts made? Is there a special bellhousing to connect the transmission to the ls6? Is it an Olds tranny or a Chevy one? What did the motor come out of? Was it a crate engine? A lot of ls6 motors are rated for 425+hp, and It'd love to do a similar swap into my 72. For what an ls6 motor and trans will cost, I'll be lucky to have my 350 motor and trans rebuilt to stock specs, and i'll have 200more hp, fuel injection, and possibly air conditioning, plus 25(maybe) mpg.

Last edited by jpc647; October 29th, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM
TRW

Ha, that was probably me. I try to make it to the Kimball's cruise as much as I can. If I don't bring the Cutlass, I bring the Chevelle.

The hood on the 68's are a bit of an oddball. They don't physically open as far as the other years. I hit my head on it all the time. That's probably why it looked like it was only open a little.

The motor in my Cutlass is an LY6, not the LS6. The LY6 was used in 2007 and 2008 in the 2500HD's and some vans. I picked it up on Ebay as a complete pull out. Everything came with it that attached to the motor, except the tranny. It cost about $2100 shipped. It puts out about 353 hp stock and with a tune and headers, I'm running a little over 400 hp. It's an awesome motor.

I wanted to leave the tranny exactly where it was, so I got adjustable motor mounts from Dirty Dingos. It cost a little more, but offered a lot more flexibility. I could not use the factory BOP TH400, even with an adapter. It only had 3 bolts holding the tranny to the motor. I had a Chevy TH400 from my Chevelle that I used. At least that attached with 5 bolts.

I average about 16 mpg with the TH400 and 2.73 rear gears. I have not tuned it to improve the mileage yet. It's on my list of things to do. If you go with an overdrive, you will definitely be over 20 mpg, easy. I would do better, even with my set up, if I could only keep my foot out of it :-) .

I'll answer any of your questions that I can. My goal was to do the motor for $4k or under. I made some decisions (like headers, aluminum radiator, and a full new exhaust system) that put me a little over my goal. It was worth every penny. The car will run in traffic all day without a hickup. At the drags I pulled a 13.76 at 102.6 mph. Not bad for a 4305 lb car (with me in it) and highway gears. I still have the original motor put aside if I need it.

Tom

Last edited by TRW; October 29th, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by TRW
Ha, that was probably me. I try to make it to the Kimball's cruise as much as I can. If I don't bring the Cutlass, I bring the Chevelle.

The hood on the 68's are a bit of an oddball. They don't physically open as far as the other years. I hit my head on it all the time. That's probably why it looked like it was only open a little.
Small World. I saw the car probably 3 months ago, and I can't tell you how many Friday's I skipped lunch to get out early to come and try to find that red 68 again, to no avail. Then all of a sudden you pop up here, in my thread! I remember saying to myself the day I saw it, I'm going to go to my car and grab one of my cards, write my cell phone number on it and maybe he'll call me and talk cars. I get back, you were gone, ha, just my luck.

Originally Posted by TRW
The motor in my Cutlass is an LY6, not the LS6. The LY6 was used in 2007 and 2008 in the 2500HD's and some vans. I picked it up on Ebay as a complete pull out. Everything came with it that attached to the motor, except the tranny. It cost about $2100 shipped. It puts out about 353 hp stock and with a tune and headers, I'm running a little over 400 hp. It's an awesome motor.

I wanted to leave the tranny exactly where it was, so I got adjustable motor mounts from Dirty Dingos. It cost a little more, but offered a lot more flexibility. I could not use the factory BOP TH400, even with an adapter. It only had 3 bolts holding the tranny to the motor. I had a Chevy TH400 from my Chevelle that I used. At least that attached with 5 bolts.

I average about 16 mpg with the TH400 and 2.73 rear gears. I have not tuned it to improve the mileage yet. It's on my list of things to do. If you go with an overdrive, you will definitely be over 20 mpg, easy. I would do better, even with my set up, if I could only keep my foot out of it :-) .

I'll answer any of your questions that I can. My goal was to do the motor for $4k or under. I made some decisions (like headers, aluminum radiator, and a full new exhaust system) that put me a little over my goal. It was worth every penny. The car will run in traffic all day without a hickup. At the drags I pulled a 13.76 at 102.6 mph. Not bad for a 4305 lb car (with me in it) and highway gears. I still have the original motor put aside if I need it.

Tom
Why'd you choose an LY6 not an LS1 or LS6? The LY6 I just goggled look to have a different intake on them than your car, did you swap an LS car intake into your motor? Did you buy a motor and trans combo or just the motor? It would have come with a 6L90E transmission, right? Would that have worked under the car without modification? If you hadn't had the Th-400 out of the chevelle, what overdrive trans would you have used? How many miles were on the motor you bought? Did you order the computer and harness with it? I think you had aftermarket gauges, was that because you couldn't get the factory ones to work?

You mentioned the manual transmissions are a little tougher, how so, besides having to add new pedals and such?

The rocket 350 the car came with, was it tired? Mine runs pretty well, albeit it does has a weep from the rear main seal. But I want a monster of a car, and a motor and trans rebuild and beef up of the rocket 350 and TH-350 are going to run substantially more than an LS.LY conversion and not have the same streetable manners. And having fuel injection and never having to adjust a carb sounds like a fantastic idea to me.
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:01 AM

Just an fyi, the iron block truck motors are about 60 lbs more than the aluminum blocks used in vettes, f bodies, gtos, etc. They cost about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the aluminum blocks and are more readily available with low miles. You can also get things like variable valve timing, and all the performance stuff works just as well on the truck motors.
I used an iron block 6.0 LQ9 (400hp with headers and a tune) in my 68 vette. I went with the 5.3 L59 in the 72 442 (22mpg as a DD).
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:36 AM
car guy

LY6 is one of the best motors you can get for the $$. 6.0 iron block with LS3/L92 heads from the factory. They are a cam swap, headers and tune away from 500 hp
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:41 AM
TRW

Sorry you had such a hard time catching up with me! I usually go to the cruise nights with my 2 kids. I usually feed them, check out the show and leave without hanging around too long. When the kids get too bored, they're not much fun to be around .

I chose the LY6 because of the reasons that both Gary and Richard mentioned. The LY6 has the same LS3 head casting and valve sizes that the Corvette uses. These heads are the key to the great power. The VVT is also a big help when trying to move a relatively heavy car with crappy gears.

The LY6 uses a truck intake that will not fit under the stock 68 Cutlass hood. The intake on my motor is off of a 2010 Camaro, complete with injectors and rails (Ebay-$300).

I just purchased the motor (63K mile on it) and it came with the factory harness, ecm, all accessories, maf sensor, batter cables, etc.. The original tranny was a 6sp with 4wd, so it wouldn't have worked. If you are pulling one of these from a van, I believe they will have the 4L80E. That would be a good combo if you can find it and will be what I go to if I do an overdrive. I have heard of a couple of people using the 2wd version of the 6L90, but I think it's pretty rare to see in transplants right now. I think there is quite a bit of tunnel surgery that needs to be done to run it. I run aftermarket gauges under the dash because I only had dummy lights in the factory dash. I am contemplating going with the Speedhut gauges in the dash sometime in the future.

If you go with a manual tranny, the hardest part is getting the shifter to come up through the console in the factory location. I run a Tremec in my 66 Chevelle and they are adjustable for various shifter locations. I'm not sure if the T56's are as flexible.

The 350 the car came with had an oil pressure issue at idle and I believe the motor was original, so instead of rebuilding it, I chose to go the LS route. I also ditched the jetaway tranny at the same time. I'm happy with my choice. You could choose just about any LS style 6.0L or 6.2L and be happy. Many folks are getting upwards of 500hp+ out of them. My best advice is to plan out your swap carefully. It is VERY easy to spend a fortune with one of these swaps. I tried to use as much of the original stuff as possible. I put 3000+ miles on it this year, so far, without an issue.

Tom
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by garys 68
Just an fyi, the iron block truck motors are about 60 lbs more than the aluminum blocks used in vettes, f bodies, gtos, etc. They cost about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the aluminum blocks and are more readily available with low miles. You can also get things like variable valve timing, and all the performance stuff works just as well on the truck motors.
I used an iron block 6.0 LQ9 (400hp with headers and a tune) in my 68 vette. I went with the 5.3 L59 in the 72 442 (22mpg as a DD).
Very good to know, thank you. I was unaware of the differences.

Originally Posted by TRW
Sorry you had such a hard time catching up with me! I usually go to the cruise nights with my 2 kids. I usually feed them, check out the show and leave without hanging around too long. When the kids get too bored, they're not much fun to be around [IMG]file:///C:\Users\JCalocci\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG].

I chose the LY6 because of the reasons that both Gary and Richard mentioned. The LY6 has the same LS3 head casting and valve sizes that the Corvette uses. These heads are the key to the great power. The VVT is also a big help when trying to move a relatively heavy car with crappy gears.

The LY6 uses a truck intake that will not fit under the stock 68 Cutlass hood. The intake on my motor is off of a 2010 Camaro, complete with injectors and rails (Ebay-$300).

I just purchased the motor (63K mile on it) and it came with the factory harness, ecm, all accessories, maf sensor, batter cables, etc.. The original tranny was a 6sp with 4wd, so it wouldn't have worked. If you are pulling one of these from a van, I believe they will have the 4L80E. That would be a good combo if you can find it and will be what I go to if I do an overdrive. I have heard of a couple of people using the 2wd version of the 6L90, but I think it's pretty rare to see in transplants right now. I think there is quite a bit of tunnel surgery that needs to be done to run it. I run aftermarket gauges under the dash because I only had dummy lights in the factory dash. I am contemplating going with the Speedhut gauges in the dash sometime in the future.

If you go with a manual tranny, the hardest part is getting the shifter to come up through the console in the factory location. I run a Tremec in my 66 Chevelle and they are adjustable for various shifter locations. I'm not sure if the T56's are as flexible.

The 350 the car came with had an oil pressure issue at idle and I believe the motor was original, so instead of rebuilding it, I chose to go the LS route. I also ditched the jetaway tranny at the same time. I'm happy with my choice. You could choose just about any LS style 6.0L or 6.2L and be happy. Many folks are getting upwards of 500hp+ out of them. My best advice is to plan out your swap carefully. It is VERY easy to spend a fortune with one of these swaps. I tried to use as much of the original stuff as possible. I put 3000+ miles on it this year, so far, without an issue.

Tom
I can understand the kids getting bored, my girlfriend thought I was crazy wandering around each time looking for you, even after she wanted to leave.
Do all of the LY6’s have VVT? My car has 3.33 gears in the rear now, but most likely if I undertake this swap, it’d look for a 3.08 posi –rear. 400ish hp to a one legger is going to get me a whole lot of smoke, and no go. Do you have any idea if the 4l80E would bolt in without tunnel surgery? I don’t want to cut the tunnel really under any circumstances.

You still have functional factory gauges in the dash, and installed other aftermarket ones? I could have sworn you had a sun/sunpro tach. Maybe I’m wrong. I like the stock gauges, and would want to try to make them work, even upgrade to a rally pack, if possible? Which Tremec do you have in your Chevelle, a TKO?

Just with preliminary research I can see what you mean by it could cost a fortune. What sort of original stuff did you reuse? Are you talking the rear end and driveshaft, or what?
Did you have to have the ECM reprogramed? Where? How was that all routed in and placed? Did you do all the work yourself, or did you farm it out to someone else? Are you a mechanic by trade?

Sorry for all the questions, kind of like you said, I’m looking for ideas to sort of plan this out in my head(and on paper) before I pull the trigger. I’m sure it was a big undertaking, and sort of trying to figure out if it’s something I’ll be able to do. How long did it take you?

I did do an engine swap in an 88 thunderbird, from a v6 to a v8 a couple years back, I know my way around a toolbox, just trying to determine how bad it really was.

P.S. thanks for the PM, I might just keep asking questions here on CO, because I'm sure others on the board may be interested in different things and may want reference.
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:22 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by jpc647
P.S. thanks for the PM, I might just keep asking questions here on CO, because I'm sure others on the board may be interested in different things and may want reference.

thanks jpc and tom I am interested and watching on the forum also in mass
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM

I'll try a few of these.
All LY6s do have VVT, however, there are several varieties of 6.0 vortec motors that dont. Wikipedia has a prett good summary in the Vortec section. Any of the motors will bolt up to a 4L80. You might look for a 6.0 out of a van, I think most came with the 4L80 and are 2wd. There are big advantages to getting a motor, trans, harness, ecu, pedal/TAC, etc from the same vehicle. Also get all accessories, it saves a lot of money.
As for fitting in an A body, check these threads. There are several chevelles and an Olds with 4L80s with no tunnel mods.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...2-gm-body.html
Factory gauges will work if you use the Olds senders. Tach will work if ecu is programmed right. Mechanical speedo will work if you use Cable X or a 4L80 tail set up for mechanical speedo.
ECU reprogramming is $75 for basics. Farm that out, but if you have any electrical capability, you can mod your own wire harness.

Last edited by garys 68; October 31st, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:22 PM
TRW

I have a 2.73 posi, and it still makes a lot of smoke. 1st gear is useless with the street tires. I put drag radials on it for the strip and it hooked pretty good. I believe the 4L80E will physically fit without any major mods. Driveshaft will need to be shortened and I think the crosmember will need to be mod'ed.

My car did not have factory gauges or tach, still doesn't have a tach.....yet. You may be able to use the ralley pak gauges with some adaptors for the sending units (LS block is metric) or different senders. I have a TKO600 modified by MMR racing in CA.

I used as many factory parts as possible. All the front accessories are stock truck (no A/C yet), the MAF, engine harness, ECM, fuel pump module, battery cables, starter, flexplate, etc are all original GM and came with the motor. I didn't move the tranny, so the driveshaft is original.

The major items I changed were: Intake, motor mounts, headers, plug wires, intake tubing, radiator hose adaptors, LS to TH400 torque converter adaptor.

I modified the factory harnes to stand-alone and reprogrammed the ECM with HP Tuners myself. I had to modify the location of the serpentine belt idler pulley under the Alt to clear the LS3 intake. The whole job is not what I would call hard, just time consuming. You have to have a fair amount of patience. Not everything is a direct fit and may need some massaging. I started in late Novermber and finished at the end of Mar., just working on it 3 times a week, or so.

I'm not a mechanic by trade, but have been a gear head all my life.

Tom
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by TRW
I have a 2.73 posi, and it still makes a lot of smoke. 1st gear is useless with the street tires. I put drag radials on it for the strip and it hooked pretty good. I believe the 4L80E will physically fit without any major mods. Driveshaft will need to be shortened and I think the crosmember will need to be mod'ed.

My car did not have factory gauges or tach, still doesn't have a tach.....yet. You may be able to use the ralley pak gauges with some adaptors for the sending units (LS block is metric) or different senders. I have a TKO600 modified by MMR racing in CA.
I could swear I responded to this post, but I guess not. I could probably make a tubular crossmember with my father if I had to, and finding a spare driveshaft to be shortened shouldn’t be a problem.

Originally Posted by TRW
I used as many factory parts as possible. All the front accessories are stock truck (no A/C yet), the MAF, engine harness, ECM, fuel pump module, battery cables, starter, flexplate, etc are all original GM and came with the motor. I didn't move the tranny, so the driveshaft is original.

The major items I changed were: Intake, motor mounts, headers, plug wires, intake tubing, radiator hose adaptors, LS to TH400 torque converter adaptor.

I modified the factory harnes to stand-alone and reprogrammed the ECM with HP Tuners myself. I had to modify the location of the serpentine belt idler pulley under the Alt to clear the LS3 intake. The whole job is not what I would call hard, just time consuming. You have to have a fair amount of patience. Not everything is a direct fit and may need some massaging. I started in late Novermber and finished at the end of Mar., just working on it 3 times a week, or so.

I'm not a mechanic by trade, but have been a gear head all my life.

Tom
I’m assuming you put an electric fuel pump in the car? I’ve been searching online for a complete motor combination, but they all seem to be pretty far away. The more I read, the more this whole swap makes more sense than trying rebuilt my original motor and transmission and having a car that most likely won’t have any street manners, or will get 8 miles to a gallon, rolling down hill.

Was there an aftermarket bracket to relocate the serpentine belt idler? Anything else big you can think of that wasn’t pretty much bolt it? Things that took “massaging”? Can you explain a little bit about what you had to do with the harness to make it standalone? Did you have to buy the software from HP Tuners, or did you know someone who had it? Did you use the VCM suite? I don’t know anything about tuning, so I’m guessing it’d have to send that to someone. What did you change as far as parameters from the stock tune? I know a tune on my DD, would change redline, bump the timing a few degrees, and so forth. Were you re-programming A/F ratios through the rpm range, etc?

The Th-400 in the car now, was it rebuilt? Was it a “beefed-up” rebuild? Do you have a build thread on any forum where you posted progress and so forth?
Old November 8th, 2012, 02:07 AM

My $0,02
Go with the 95 impala/caprice baffled/sumped tank with the intank racetronix pump.
Dirty Dingo and a few others make the pulley relocation kit.
LT1swap.com has all the info you'll need to rework your harness.
The software to do your own tuning is about $700. You can have someone do the basic stuff for under $100. If you're not doing a radical cam or lots of performance mods, have someone else do it.
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:51 AM

My $0,02
Go with the 95 impala/caprice baffled/sumped tank with the intank racetronix pump.
Dirty Dingo and a few others make the pulley relocation kit.
LT1swap.com has all the info you'll need to rework your harness.
The software to do your own tuning is about $700. You can have someone do the basic stuff for under $100. If you're not doing a radical cam or lots of performance mods, have someone else do it.
Thanks for the information. I've been looking through LT1swap.com quite a bit lately. Some of the thread get pretty technical and i'm not familiar with a lot of the chevy stuff, so I get lost. Tom mentioned he did it himself, I thought his explanation might be a little easier to follow.
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:32 AM

I did my own harness too. Easiest way is to label the connectors, then unwrap about a mile of tape. First remove all the stuff you dont need and that wiring. Then ID the grounds, switched, and full time 12V wires, solder them together. I then put the harness on the motor, out of the car and routed all the wires. You'll need to add wiring for gauges. I used weatherpack connectors for the connection to the existing harness and gauge wiring. It goes in as part of the engine and then just plug it in.
Old November 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM
TRW

Gary's suggestion for the fuel pump/tank may be your best bet. I got the truck fuel pump module with my motor, so I modified a stock tank for it. I think I posted pics of it in CutLS's thread.

If you are comfortable with doing the wiring work, you can save yourself some $$. It isn't a hard job, but it takes a lot of time (10+ hours) when you add it all up. I bought the software from HP Tuners. You can have someone do the tune for you, but I wanted to do it myself. I didn't know much about EFI tuning when I started, either. I had to change quite a bit in the ECM including changing the parameters for the new Camaro injectors, removing all the torque limits, tune the MAF, timing maps, etc. There is some good tuning info here (for Gen IV) http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=20813

The Th-400 in the my car now was rebuilt by me. It has all the heavy duty clutches and bands, as well as I believe a HD direct drum with the 34 element roller and a shift kit. I did not do a build thread for my car. I spent most of my free time working on it, which left little time for documenting the build.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:50 PM

I did my own harness too. Easiest way is to label the connectors, then unwrap about a mile of tape. First remove all the stuff you dont need and that wiring. Then ID the grounds, switched, and full time 12V wires, solder them together. I then put the harness on the motor, out of the car and routed all the wires. You'll need to add wiring for gauges. I used weatherpack connectors for the connection to the existing harness and gauge wiring. It goes in as part of the engine and then just plug it in.
Identifying each of the wires for switched or full time 12v wires would most likely require the EVTM for the specific vehicle I get the harness out of.

Originally Posted by TRW
Gary's suggestion for the fuel pump/tank may be your best bet. I got the truck fuel pump module with my motor, so I modified a stock tank for it. I think I posted pics of it in CutLS's thread.

If you are comfortable with doing the wiring work, you can save yourself some $$. It isn't a hard job, but it takes a lot of time (10+ hours) when you add it all up. I bought the software from HP Tuners. You can have someone do the tune for you, but I wanted to do it myself. I didn't know much about EFI tuning when I started, either. I had to change quite a bit in the ECM including changing the parameters for the new Camaro injectors, removing all the torque limits, tune the MAF, timing maps, etc. There is some good tuning info here (for Gen IV) http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=20813
I'll do some digging, see if I can pull up that thread. the tuning seems like it might be over my head. I'll do some digging through the forum you posted, thanks for that. I can only imagine how much time you spent on the computer adjusting the parameters for the new intake setup, etc. But I'll keep looing, it's probably like everything else, it looks hard when you know nothing about it. Hell, If I end up with an LY6 motor, I could buy a camaro intake too and pay you to tune my ECU, ha. But seriously, I know that's not what it's all about. It's about doing it yourself, and screwing up, and learning from it.

The Th-400 in the my car now was rebuilt by me. It has all the heavy duty clutches and bands, as well as I believe a HD direct drum with the 34 element roller and a shift kit. I did not do a build thread for my car. I spent most of my free time working on it, which left little time for documenting the build.
You rebuilt you own transmission, wow. Clearly your aptitude in cars is greater than mine. I know my father traded a chevy TH-350 trans a few years back for a 5 speed manual setup, I don't know what it was out of, but I was going to explore that to see if it's feasible for my project. The overdrive gear would certainly be nice, even if the swap becomes a little more complicated, having to add in pedals and so forth.
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM

I've been debating looking to get the drive line overhauled. It just doesn't put out what I want, albeit it runs really well. Custom "crate" turn keys oldsmobile 350's are running close to $7,000 for the motor alone, and local shops want dang near $3000 for a stock rebuild. The LS route, I can get 350hp+ easy, with a transmission too, for $4000, new, with a 24 month warranty. It's looking appealing.

I understand about cost, but you bought an Olds, so sell the Cutlass and pick up a Chevelle, then swap away. JMHO
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:12 AM
TRW

Hell, If I end up with an LY6 motor, I could buy a camaro intake too and pay you to tune my ECU, ha. But seriously, I know that's not what it's all about. It's about doing it yourself, and screwing up, and learning from it.
If you get an LY6, I'll give you my tune, but you will likely still have to tune the MAF to match your specific intake arrangement. Honestly, If I had the spare time, I'd tune the car for you for no cost, just because I like doing it and being able to help. This part would probably not be too expensive to have done at a chassis dyno shop by a tuner. I can't imagine getting the MAF tuned right would take more than a couple of hours.

I know my father traded a chevy TH-350 trans a few years back for a 5 speed manual setup, I don't know what it was out of, but I was going to explore that to see if it's feasible for my project. The overdrive gear would certainly be nice, even if the swap becomes a little more complicated, having to add in pedals and so forth.
If my Cutlass had a 5 speed and better rear gear, it would be quite a performer for a near stock motor. I may go to an overdrive tranny sometime in the future. It's hard to justify the conversion cost ($2500+). The break even point based on fuel savings, will probably be longer than I own it. It cruises pretty well on the highway as is. Eighty mph is about 2800 rpm, which isn't too bad. But, that would be about 2000 rpm with an OD.

Best advice I can give is to research your conversion to death. There are a lot of little things to be aware of and they will all depend on what motor you end up choosing and how much you get with it (cable or drive by wire, reluctor count, accessory drives, etc). I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper, if at all, than doing the stock 350 over. The cost will likely be close. But, the LS will perform better (stock vs. stock) and have better drivability and mileage.

Tom

Last edited by TRW; November 9th, 2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by TRW
I average about 16 mpg with the TH400 and 2.73 rear gears.
Glad to hear that. I've been looking to hear what people were getting out of this motor.

I also bought a 2008 LY6 for my 1970 442 clone.
It's my 2nd LS swap, and I'm using a 3.73 gear with a T-56 6 speed manual.

Didn't get to finish it this summer because I moved.
2013 I'll be done though. I'd love to get a copy of that tune!!!
I'm going to be using the Edelbrock stainless steel A-body headers.
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:23 PM
TRW

Hi Aceshigh, I was wondering where you went. Sorry to hear about your Summer. I'm glad to see you getting back at it. You were the one that originally talked me into getting the LY6 back in July of 2011. I went with your advice and have no regrets. I had it out today and it was 28 degrees this morning (had to keep the top up though ). I'll send you a PM also.

Tom
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:56 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by TRW
I had it out today and it was 28 degrees this morning (had to keep the top up though ). .

Tom

I saw a guy out today w the top down on his (cor) vette (not to be confused with (chev) vette)

it was a later in the day so it was up to ~40 ish degrees...he did have all the windows up tho

(also in mass)
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by TRW
Hi Aceshigh, I was wondering where you went. Sorry to hear about your Summer. I'm glad to see you getting back at it. You were the one that originally talked me into getting the LY6 back in July of 2011.
Ahhh.....glad to see you didn't get caught up in the "keep it Olds" mantra.
Nothing wrong with staying Olds if that's what's your thing but......

There's so much more potential in these modern LS motors and for far less invested cost
Obviously now as an owner you're able to realize that yourself.

Welcome to the LS club.
I got your emails, thanks again. Hope I can finish too now.
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:17 AM
TRW

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I saw a guy out today w the top down on his (cor) vette (not to be confused with (chev) vette)

it was a later in the day so it was up to ~40 ish degrees...he did have all the windows up tho

(also in mass)
I guess I should have put the top down yesterday. I actually took my Harley to work today and it was 23 degrees. I have to believe it would be warmer in the Cutlass.

Tom
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
I understand about cost, but you bought an Olds, so sell the Cutlass and pick up a Chevelle, then swap away. JMHO
The way I see it, it has more to do with just money. I've taken my current carburator apart a couple of times, tweaked it over and over and gotten pretty good results. Then the temperature goes from 70* to 30*, and the car doesn't have all the "get up and go". On a saturday if I want to take my girlfriend out to dinner and take the car, I don't want to have to play with the carb to adjust it, so I can take off from a light, if I want.

Money is not the biggest object here, I don't have an endless amount, but I have a little put away. An oldsmobile engine form the 70's can not be made to do what one of these LS motors will, and have streetability, it just can't.

My car is a plain, run of the mill, cutlass "S", with the small factory addition of bucket seats and console. Not a high dollar or highly desireable car. It's the perfect car to do a swap like this to. I wouldn't cut up a 442, because that was a rare, valuable car. I'll keep the original motor and trans to put back in if I ever choose, but at 22, I want a "race car" that I can drive 1000 miles and not have to stop at every gas station. I'll end up upgrading the brakes and so forth down the line, when those parts wear out. Brakes have come a long way in 30 years, why not upgrade? This car, will probably be worth more with a LS motor, besides, it'll be turn key, no tweaking ever needed. And it'll be a rocket ship. If olds had crate motors with Fuel Injection, it'd consider it.

Originally Posted by TRW
If you get an LY6, I'll give you my tune, but you will likely still have to tune the MAF to match your specific intake arrangement. Honestly, If I had the spare time, I'd tune the car for you for no cost, just because I like doing it and being able to help. This part would probably not be too expensive to have done at a chassis dyno shop by a tuner. I can't imagine getting the MAF tuned right would take more than a couple of hours.
I may just take you up on that. That is very nice of you. Who knows, I might just end up with a camaro intake too, they look nice, and would love to add the camaro cover, but with an oldsmobile logo to it.

Originally Posted by TRW
If my Cutlass had a 5 speed and better rear gear, it would be quite a performer for a near stock motor. I may go to an overdrive tranny sometime in the future. It's hard to justify the conversion cost ($2500+). The break even point based on fuel savings, will probably be longer than I own it. It cruises pretty well on the highway as is. Eighty mph is about 2800 rpm, which isn't too bad. But, that would be about 2000 rpm with an OD.

Best advice I can give is to research your conversion to death. There are a lot of little things to be aware of and they will all depend on what motor you end up choosing and how much you get with it (cable or drive by wire, reluctor count, accessory drives, etc). I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper, if at all, than doing the stock 350 over. The cost will likely be close. But, the LS will perform better (stock vs. stock) and have better drivability and mileage.

Tom
Thanks for all the advise and the suggestions. I have been looking and reading through countless builds lately. Even if it cost a little more, the engine would be 3-4 years old, and I can walk into any CAP or Autozone and order anything it'd need. I went through hell and back to find the correct water pump on my rocket 350. I won't have that problem with a 4 year old motor. I'm sure I'll be messenging you or emailing you along the way. Once I get the house and garage situated(family member passed away a couple weeks ago), i'll be back and starting on this, one way or another.
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:46 PM
TRW

JPC647, My condolences on the loss of your family member. Whenever you have questions, feel free to email me.

Tom
Old December 4th, 2012, 05:57 PM

I'm an old "Olds" motor guy ( gives you my intelligence level) however quick question will a highly modified 200R4 work with a LS swap? You guys got me thinking for later on my 64 F-85 pro-touring build.
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:49 PM

Unless you've already got a modified 200R4, you're better off with an electronic controlled trans that came with the motor, 4L60, 4L80, etc.
You're also limited to older cable throttle body motors in order to hook up the TV cable on the 200R4.
Originally Posted by therobski
I'm an old "Olds" motor guy ( gives you my intelligence level) however quick question will a highly modified 200R4 work with a LS swap? You guys got me thinking for later on my 64 F-85 pro-touring build.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:34 AM
TRW

If you have your heart set on running the 200R4, I'm sure you can modify the TV cable to run directly off of the gas pedal. Since I'm running a electronic throttle with my TH400, I needed to connect a down shift switch to the pedal. I made some brackets and made it work. The 200R4 will be a little more critical of the set up. It will need to be planned out carefully. I'm sure it can be done. Like Gary said, if you don't already have the tranny, it may not be worth the effort.
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:04 AM

I was intrigued about all the LS swaps but I'm appears I'm in way too deep now $$$$$$$ with my 200R4 425 build. Thanks guys.
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by TRW
If you have your heart set on running the 200R4
http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-...0r4-4l60e.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...on_swap_gen_3/

TV Cable info

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...700r4-ls1.html

LS1Swap011.jpg

Last edited by Aceshigh; December 6th, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:57 AM

I can happily say I've decided this is the route I'll be going. Just have to find the right engine/trans deal.
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:13 AM

If you cant find anything local, I bought both my LS motors off ebay auctions that expired without offers. I emailed lowball offers and both took them.
Shipping was under $100 to a local freight terminal. One even got to me overnight.

I can happily say I've decided this is the route I'll be going. Just have to find the right engine/trans deal.
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:32 PM
TRW

Mine was also an Ebay purchase and shipped directly to my door. Good luck in your search.
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:07 PM
72 Olds CS

JPC

there was a complete 6l engine trans comp stand alone set -up on NH CL last week 3500....

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/3443647749.html
Old December 7th, 2012, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
JPC

there was a complete 6l engine trans comp stand alone set -up on NH CL last week 3500....

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/3443647749.html
Thanks for that. Price seems high, but I emailed him anyway. Considering different 6l will help.
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:09 AM

My 1st: LS1/4L60e (26K) I bought was in 2006 from a 2004 GTO via Ebay for $4500.
Prices were a bit steeper back then for the LS1's.

My 2nd: LY6 I bought via Car-Part in 2011 for only $1850 plus the accessories for $300.
T56 I got from Texas separately.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS Motor Conversion into A Body Cutlass