Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Baffled fuel tank

Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:40 PM
Car Whisperer

Baffled fuel tank

anyone know of anyone that sells baffled gas tanks for use with fi motors. thanx.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:15 PM

what car do you want it for, for my 65 cutlass i ordered the 65 gto tank with built in fuel pump from rock auto
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:43 PM

Tanks inc. does a lot of different tank. I believe they make a baffled tank with in tank pump
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Car Whisperer

Originally Posted by mauricer
what car do you want it for, for my 65 cutlass i ordered the 65 gto tank with built in fuel pump from rock auto
for out 67 cutlass. thanx!!

Originally Posted by young olds
Tanks inc. does a lot of different tank. I believe they make a baffled tank with in tank pump
will check it out. thanx!!!
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Car Whisperer

also, battling the fuel apparently spilling out of the vent hoses. had a new stock tank installed. the vents seem low on this to me and I am not sure where the hoses are supposed to go so when the tank is full, the gas doesn't come out of the tubes. right now they are by the back bumper. I am thinking I need to lengthen them and then put them up higher than they are now.
Old October 4th, 2016, 09:40 AM

here is the rock auto tank and make sure to get the 5% off code if you buy it
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,17130
Old October 4th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Car Whisperer

Originally Posted by mauricer
here is the rock auto tank and make sure to get the 5% off code if you buy it
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,17130
thanx, will have to do some research to see more about the pump and if any baffling. thanks again!!!
Old October 4th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Administrator

The vent lines run behind the bumper up to a clip that would normally house a plastic piece filled will cotton type of material that the 2 hoses connect to. I looped my long hoses together and closed the system with the intention of trying to find a vented cap. No problems with fuel delivery and the tank does hold a small vacuum for the last 3 years.

If your car is running fine fix the vent leak.
Old October 7th, 2016, 07:41 PM

I've got a Tanks Inc. tank in my 68. It came with a little check valve type thing for the end of the vent line. I mounted it at the highest location possible. Can't tell you yet how it works since I just installed it and the conversion is not yet complete.
Old October 10th, 2016, 12:35 PM

A good pump housing inside the tank is more important than baffling within the tank, IMO. The latest Tanks, Inc setup looks OK (their first attempt was terrible). Aeromotive's Phantom stuff looks really good, too. I haven't seen any internal pictures of the Spectra tank.
Baffles keep the gas near the pump, briefly. There needs to be something better - a bucket, retaining foam, etc - to hold a few cups of gas around the pump. I ended up modifying my tank to take an F150 pump that has a canister. This was before the Phantom was available - I'd just use the Phantom kit now.

If you're doing road course stuff then switching to the later vent setup - three vents on the tank going into a vent can behind the rear seat plumbed up to a charcoal canister and vented through the carb - may be a good idea. There's no opportunity for fuel splash, but there's a fair bit of modification there.