Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

6l90e

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2013, 01:59 PM

6l90e

I have an 84 hurst, and I recently purchased an ls3 out of a 2012 corvette to drop in it. It came with l690e transmission out of a silverado. This monster transmission isn't about to fit into the tunnel, and I really don't want to cut up the car. I've heard an engine like this putting out 430hp will eat most other tranny's for breakfast.

I don't know enough about this...are there any other smaller transmissions that will fit the tunnel of this G-body that can be rebuilt/beefed up enough to handle the power??

Thanks in advance.
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:02 PM

And for all the purists out there, since this is an Olds forum, don't fret...I'm restoring this car to original. Let's just say the car needs a little more pep. But the 307 is staying with the car. Just throwing that out there before I get heckled.
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:20 PM

As someone posted on one of the threads I saw yesterday, a 200R4 built correctly will handle what you have. And that is what is in your car already. You can send it out to have it built for the power it will see. People are using this trans in Buick GN's that are running 9's in the quarter mile. Call one of the bigger name trans companies and they can tell you what it will take.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:50 PM

Not entirely sure of size, but TCI makes a 6 speed trans that's in a 4L80 case. Any chance that will fit?
Old March 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by sda84ho
I have an 84 hurst, and I recently purchased an ls3 out of a 2012 corvette to drop in it. It came with l690e transmission out of a silverado. This monster transmission isn't about to fit into the tunnel, and I really don't want to cut up the car. I've heard an engine like this putting out 430hp will eat most other tranny's for breakfast.

I don't know enough about this...are there any other smaller transmissions that will fit the tunnel of this G-body that can be rebuilt/beefed up enough to handle the power??

Thanks in advance.
Are you interested in selling the LS3 ? I am looking for one for my restomod Project. PM me if you are. Thanks
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by sda84ho
The 6L90e is enormous but it will fit if you are willing to do the mods.
Guys with other A-body's (Chevelles) have done it on LS1tech.

It's a big indestructible transmission.
However if you're hell bent on sticking with just a 4 speed overdrive transmission, I'd say put a built 2004R behind it.
I forget how the TV cable is setup for the transmission to shift though since there's no linkage on the carb.
It can be done , but I forget how.

The 2004R just needs a CK Performance Stage II rebuild kid and the Billet input drum to withstand up to 600ft lbs or 650.
Good luck on your swap, I'm also putting a 6.0L LY6 into my 442 clone with a 6 speed manual.
I'm cutting up my trans tunnel though because I'd rather have the 6 speed.

2011OldsT-56installed2.jpg
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh

Good luck on your swap, I'm also putting a 6.0L LY6 into my 442 clone with a 6 speed manual.
I'm cutting up my trans tunnel though because I'd rather have the 6 speed.
Ha, to each his own. Sure id love to use it. I just don't particularly like the idea of cutting up a rare car. I can do that with a regular 442 if need be. Purist mindset.

Thanks for the input everyone.