Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

1964 and 1966 oldsmobile questions...

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:55 AM

1964 and 1966 oldsmobile questions...

hi i have a 1966 olds delta 88 with the 425 engine,,(red valve covers) is there a chevy engine that can take place of this? and also,,i have a 1964 olds 98 its been sitting for over 25 years,,cant get it to fire up yet,,but would there by chance be a replacement chevy engine for this also? JUST A THOUGHT NOT EXACTLY GOING TO DO IT YET... i do love these cars and there big block orignal engines the 64 having the 394 rocket engine and the 66 having the 425 the 66 runs perfect still i like the 64 cuz its all electric n kewl looking tho...any info tho is helpfull...thanks...
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:53 AM
Oldsdruid

WTF do you want to put Chevrolet engines in them, especially if what's in there is running well? Or are you a damn troll trying to stir things up?

Respect the cars. If you're not going to keep their Oldsmobile engines, do them a favor and crush them.

Some people don't deserve the cars they have...
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:38 AM

shud up u sacc face,,IF U READ IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH,,u will see ITS WAS A THOUGHT,,sum of us arent millionaires,,so it was a thought,,duhh...the 64 needs work,,my 66 i drive it was mainly fur the 64 if it shud need it,,dnt tell me wut to do with my rides i have owned alot of odd ball rides ovr the years,,i like to keep them on the road sumtimes they need transplants,,ppl like u dnt understand really,,i see u dnt care fur them 'if thrr dead crush them'? wow....u dnt deserve to be owning classic cars,,specially oldz...stay off my posts if u dnt have positive **** to say,,or help..

Last edited by willz64; September 23rd, 2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by willz64
shud up u sacc face,,IF U READ IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH,,u will see ITS WAS A THOUGHT,,sum of us arent millionaires,,so it was a thought,,duhh...the 64 needs work,,my 66 i drive it was mainly fur the 64 if it shud need it,,dnt tell me wut to do with my rides i have owned alot of odd ball rides ovr the years,,i like to keep them on the road sumtimes they need transplants,,ppl like u dnt understand really,,i see u dnt care fur them 'if thrr dead crush them'? wow....u dnt deserve to be owning classic cars,,specially oldz...stay off my posts if u dnt have positive **** to say,,or help..
Well said! There is no room here for derogatory statements!

Yes, there are options, and some of us are like you! We love the car but with limited budgets we just want to get the thing running nice and originality is not an issue! You may have to do a bit of research, and be somewhat creative!

What have you checked, before you jump in on the alternative wagon, maybe we can help get what you have running??
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Oldsdruid

Am I right that this is classicOLDSMOBILE? not classicCHEVYPOWEREDOLDSMOBILE?

I read it all the way thru and if there's a thought, there's an intent. You asked for opinions, you got mine. You don't wanna know what I think, don't ask. You might not like it. And don't come on here trying to stir **** when you know a lot of us here don't like the idea of a Chevrolet engine transplant into an Olds. The real world is not always about feel-good/self-esteem/everything-you-do-is-the-greatest-thing-ever issues, sometimes someone is going to bitch-slap you back into reality.

Guess what. I've had Oldsmobiles longer than you've been alive, on a working man's budget. And not one of them has ever had to have a Chevrolet engine put in it to keep it alive. A "classic" car with a bastard engine is no longer a classic car. It's a turd.

Flame on. I can give as good as I take.

And while you're at it get off that damn text phone and write in standard English. You've shown you're capable of it.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:50 AM
Oldsdruid

1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Oldsmobile junk. Put a Chevy engine in it.

1963 Plymouth Fury Mopar junk. Put a Chevy engine in it.

2006 Mustang GT Ford junk. Put a Chevy engine in 'em.
2006 Mustang Coupe

See where I'm going with this, Texas? By your standards, it would be perfectly fine to stick a Chevrolet engine in any of your vehicles if their engines died.

Just because a car is also made by GM, there is no reason to use a Chevrolet engine in it.

I'm done here.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Rocketraider quit being an a$$! Willz asked a valid question!! So if you have no productive answer STFU and move on!
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:14 AM

Not everyone "deserves" an Oldsmobile, lol.

Cost of rebuildiing an engine is not so different: Olds small block vs. big block, vs. Chevy. Cost of transplanting, getting a transmission with different bellhousing, etc. is often substantial. Nothing ends up fitting as easily as you might think. You can even spend $$$ getting the exhaust to hook up, then the driveshaft length is wrong, on and on.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:56 AM

"Cost of rebuildiing an engine is not so different: Olds small block vs. big block, vs. Chevy. Cost of transplanting, getting a transmission with different bellhousing, etc. is often substantial. Nothing ends up fitting as easily as you might think. You can even spend $$$ getting the exhaust to hook up, then the driveshaft length is wrong, on and on."

x2, the parts themselves may be cheaper, but the time money and aggravation spent making a chevy motor fit will result in a net zero savings. - jmho

That being said, It's your car, make it what you want. There are many expert olds folks here who can help you keep those classics purring like kittens. Engine not running right? just ask, we are here to help!
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM

Let's keep it sane here...
This question comes up a lot and thats why this non-olds forum is here. Many mechanics do not understand Olds and their answer is to replace with a chevy, as that is what they understand. Also, many folks do not understand the complexity of swapping a chevy for an olds engine. Sounds simple, but nothing really bolts in - lots of custom fabbing of stuff, tranny wont bolt up, drive shaft wrong length...................
In most cases, the olds engine is worth repairing. Lets start with diagnosing your engine and see what can be done to get it running.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Let's keep it sane here...
This question comes up a lot and thats why this non-olds forum is here. Many mechanics do not understand Olds and their answer is to replace with a chevy, as that is what they understand. Also, many folks do not understand the complexity of swapping a chevy for an olds engine. Sounds simple, but nothing really bolts in - lots of custom fabbing of stuff, tranny wont bolt up, drive shaft wrong length...................
In most cases, the olds engine is worth repairing. Lets start with diagnosing your engine and see what can be done to get it running.
Well said.

Welcome to CO
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM

Helped a guy do this once, never again!
After we installed the Chevy - tore apart the Olds and found a stretched timing chain - coulda killed him!
Only took us about 30 hrs.!!
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM

I don't wanna hear it

~locked