1953 - 98 defroster and blower control ?

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2015, 07:18 AM

1953 - 98 defroster and blower control ?

Hi

its me again, the crazy Austrian driving a '53 Olds 98

Actually I am trying to find the reason why the blower doesnt work, are there any well known weak points ?

When giving + directly it works, but it doesnt work or switch on or off or regulate when turning and pulling the **** "B" - seems the switch is ready to be thrown out.

But I dont know how to get it out, how to check it and so on ....

Anyone that can help me ?

Any pics of that part available ?

Thank you !
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Do more checking

You have found that the motor is good. So the problem probably is the switch, or the fuse, or the wiring. You can take a voltmeter or test light and trace through the circuit for the blower to find the loss of voltage. The switch will be the hardest to fix. You can check it with an ohm meter after it is disconnected from the circuit. I don't know of any typical weakness in the '53, but perhaps another member may. There probably are also some voltage dropping resistors inside the heater case. It may not help any, but the original part number on the switch was 3131128. It will interchange with the '51 S-88 and all of 1952 & 1953 according to the Olds parts book. The fuse for the blower in 1955 was 25 amp. I don't have the information for 1953.
Old February 15th, 2015, 04:58 AM

still working on it .... just another question at the moment

is that switch original ? ......... I dont think so - but it looks really old also ;o)

switch2_zps79de2c9b.jpg
Old February 15th, 2015, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by stocki26
still working on it .... just another question at the moment

is that switch original ? ......... I dont think so - but it looks really old also ;o)

As I don't have a '53 I can't say for certain, but I am agreeing with you. It doesn't look like something the manufacturer would have used. Perhaps someone added it for a reason. If there are wires connected to it, trace the wires to find where they go. It could be for an added accessory, to replace the function of a defective factory switch or an anti-theft ignition "kill" switch.

Old February 15th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

No, that is not an original switch. I notice a horn button on the right side of the steering column so somebody had done some rewiring. My 54 has the heater control and defroster cables right about where that toggle switch is. The blower switch is in with those controls. Does the **** to the right of the toggle switch control your defroster?
Old February 15th, 2015, 07:23 AM

thank you guys

I will take out blower switch first, do some measuring and maybe some new wiring ...

Damn - I would have loved to keep it all as original as possible - seems that will not work on each part

It really hurts me to cut just one old textile covered cable and give a new one - am I crazy ? )
Old February 15th, 2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by stocki26
thank you guys

I will take out blower switch first, do some measuring and maybe some new wiring ...

Damn - I would have loved to keep it all as original as possible - seems that will not work on each part

It really hurts me to cut just one old textile covered cable and give a new one - am I crazy ? )
No, you are not crazy. Many others feel the same way, and go to great efforts and expense to preserve originality.