New to 98 Forum (1st Post) Getting a 1961 98

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM

New to 98 Forum (1st Post) Getting a 1961 98

Hi All-

Picking up my "new" olds next week, it's a 1961 98 Sports Sedan. Got it on ebay last week and was wondering if anyone had any info on things I should look for, or be watchful for on the ride home (Independence, MO) from South Carolina? Anything specific to these models/years I should be aware of? The car seems to be in nice shape with only 75K originally, so it shouldn't have much to do to it yet, right? I was told it's got the 394 with 3 speed trans.

I've owned several 70 Cutlass', but my dad was into 98s and 88s so I thought I would get a nice old one to take to the shows and cruise nights locally in his honor. He passed away just after Thanksgiving last year, but I know he would have loved this one!

Any of you close in the Kansas City area? I noticed Oldsguy is right down the road in Lee's Summit, MO.

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
b5d8_3.JPG (93.7 KB, 76 views)
b629_3.JPG (86.7 KB, 56 views)
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Past Administrator

OH man! I am drooling all over myself as I looked at those pics! You gotta let me see it for real. Call me this weekend.
816-524-5651 home
816-922-0341 work until 3:30 pm.
Welcome to our site.

OH, the high compression engines needed high octane gas but my son's 394 in his '64 98 six window hardtop will run on regular but poorly. Regular old car stuff, watch for dry rot on tires, etc. if the engine hasn't been turned over in a long time prime the cylinders and turn the crank with a big socket first to make sure the rings are ok, the usual stuff. Nice find!
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Okay, I understand about the premium gas, but is the 10% ethanol based high octaine (89) good enough or do I need to find 91 octane? And since the car has been running for awhile, do I need to worry about the other stuff?

About the tranny...What type of weird things with the tranny should I be watching for. What kind of behavior should I be looking for or will I have to get used to? You're right, I've never driven anything like this, but it should have the 3-spd hydromatic. How is this different from say, a TH350, that I am used to?

I've attached a few more pics from the latest auction... I absolutely love the three-tone interior! It's almost better than a modern "custom" interior. I'll probably have to add seatbelts to it for the kids and stuff, I think I can do that without ruining the originality...

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images
da4a_3.JPG (86.0 KB, 49 views)
602b_3.JPG (65.9 KB, 47 views)
745f_3.JPG (65.9 KB, 47 views)
79f8_3.JPG (53.9 KB, 45 views)
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Past Administrator

Oh Man! That is really nice. You found a good one! I noticed the engine was running when you took the third picture, if it sounds smooth and runs pretty good then you don't have to worry about much except keeping it tuned up and oil changed, general upkeep stuff.
My son's '64 with that tranny is really a beast and the tranny is terrible. Won't shift until it seems too late (compared to TH350/TH400s) from first to second and it is sloppy. He hates it and is hoping to get a different tranny in the car some day. Your experience may be different but I have heard other people share similar experiences. Hoping your experience is better.
Again, I can't wait to see it in person!

BTW, I can't say anything intelligent about the gasoline, too many opinions out there
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
These transmissions were constantly being updated when new. '64s are better than '61s. A generally poor design.

Paul
That's not good to hear, as I had planned on pulling a small vintage trailer with it (approx. 2000 lbs.). Would this work if I add a trans cooler?

Chris
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:53 AM

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM

That's a beautiful old Oldsmobile...congratulations on your new car! <drool>
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrwilde
How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
You can see the auction on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...5384%26fvi%3D1

I payed a little less than the buy it now due to some friendship between me and the seller...turns out I knew him via my "Vintage Trailer" circles.

I think I got a good deal on it. NADA would put this at around $10K considering the condition and mileage. Look up the values on NADA under classic cars/passenger cars...

The car was on eBay first part of December too, see this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4088%26fvi%3D1 in which it sold for less, but the current owner has done a few more things to help it along. I considered both descriptions and other things in my decision to buy it. A lot of consideration went into originality, low mileage, new/rebuilt parts... and man, you gotta love that color!!! How many like it are still around?!?

It'll look really great pulling our vintage 63 Shasta trailer!

Chris
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Past Administrator

That is one very nice looking car!

An update. Chris spoke to me on the phone last night, he is flying out today to pick up the car and drive it back this weekend. Let's pray for good weather on his trip back and that the ice melts here by then.
Old February 18th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
That is one very nice looking car!

An update. Chris spoke to me on the phone last night, he is flying out today to pick up the car and drive it back this weekend. Let's pray for good weather on his trip back and that the ice melts here by then.

Thanks for the encouragement, it worked! We made it back late last night. Missed all the snow and rain along the way too.

Had lots of "Thumbs up" and people coming up and talking to me about it. Even had one person want to buy it in Arkansas...

No major problems on the way back, just had to put in about 2 qts of oil every 300 miles or so. Not because of burning, seems to be leaking from the rear main seal. Averaged about 13-14 mpg, about what I expected.

Was a little concerned about the tranny though... seemed to have some type of torque converter stutter after driving it all day. The fluid level seemed to be too high, so I'll have that taken care of real soon.

Other than that, the car was just a dream to drive!!! It just floats down the road at 70 mph like no problem at all. All the lights worked well, it acts and drives like a 5 yr old vehicle. Bias ply reproduction tires take a little getting used to, but they sure look cool and gave me no problems whatsoever.

All in all, what a wonderful car and I'm extremely happy to add it to the family! You'll be seeing this car a lot of shows/cruises in the Kansas City area, so keep an eye out for it, it's very hard to miss. I'd be happy to show it off and talk about cars of all types, but especially Oldsmobiles.

Chris
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Hello, I am glad your trip went well. Driving an "older" car is the best part of the trip. When I go anywhere in one of my Olds I am never in a hurry like I am in my "modern" car. I like the 1961's looks. The bad part is that if you get a certain year Olds then you find yourself buying a same year parts or two. I got my 67 Olds 98 4-door LS wrecked drivers' side & rear quarter, started fixing it (money-pit) half-way done I found the grey one. The plan was it was to be a parts car but it was too good so it got saved too. Ya, I found another for a real parts car. Where does it end? Ya, I have parts cars for all my driven cars. Good Luck, Ken
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Past Administrator

YAY! Glad you mad it with no problems. I have heard about the rear main seal leaking in those engines, I think they are a rope seal but there is a chevy seal that can be used. I can check with my son about it if you wish.
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
YAY! Glad you mad it with no problems. I have heard about the rear main seal leaking in those engines, I think they are a rope seal but there is a chevy seal that can be used. I can check with my son about it if you wish.
That would be great! Please let me in on any info you find out about it. Thanks!

If it is a rope seal, it could probably be replaced without taking the engine apart. I had that done with the old 69 Ford F250 I had for awhile. The place I took it to had a tool that they called a "Sneaky Pete". Ever hear of it? Either way, I've got to get it done. What should it cost? Any ideas?

Dan, I'll have the car out Friday if you want to see it. Call me.

Chris
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:42 AM
Past Administrator

Looking forward to seeing it Chris, I lost your number though. Call me 816-524-5651.

I did some research and found these guys that can set you up with the neoprene seal. Never did business with them but they are members in good standing over a OCA national and Tom is a past officer involved in old car rebuilding.

joysebrosrest@wi.rr.com

Sorry, couldn't find a website. Hope they reply to you and you can get it.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Past Administrator

Ok Olds fans! I jut rode in it! Chris was down in my neck of the woods for dinner and took the 98 for a cruise. What a sweet ride, it is everything he described it as, and more. A very clean car and worth every penny he spent. I told him I wanted to go home right away and brag on it. The stainless and chrome is excellent, interior is that beautiful three-tone they did so well in the sixties. Looks to be original paint too on the outside. One nice car!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:15 PM

Hi Chris,

As the previous owner of your car, I can vouch for the condition. If Eric didn't re-adjust any of the tune up, this car runs perfect on 92 Octane unleaded. I am a mechanical engineer, I do my own engine work, and am an Olds expert, and I had your car since 2000, so I know every inch of it. You are good to go...dont worry about anything. That car will drive cross country without any problems - i've been over everything including the engine, driveshaft, trans, and differential. The trans was blown when I got the car and it was rebuilt to perfection. As long as you dont abuse the car, you will be fine, even for towing. The key is not to shock the unit too bad since it is made from cast aluminum parts inside and out that can break under extreme load. So no neutral drops - and watch when slowing down almost to a stop and reaccellerating...there is sometime a lag (on all slim-jim cars) before first gear 'catches' again. So just go easy and you'll be fine. You can go full throttle and the car will scream and push you back in the seat...just dont jerk the throttle around or slam it suddenly - you get the picture.

All best
Alan
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:13 AM

Thanks for the info, Alan.

I sure don't plan on doing any "nuetral drops" with this classy lady! It does surprise people sometimes as it keeps up in traffic very well...most other drivers see an old car as an obsticle on the road (I had the same situation in my Conversion van) kinda like a dinosaur, ya know. But when the gas pedal goes down just a little, the torque kicks in and it justs make them wonder...

It's nice to have you onboard the forum where you can lend your expertise on Oldsmobiles. Oldsmobile experts are getting pretty hard to find these days. Expecially ones who know about the classics.

Thanks again for getting my "new" car in such great shape for me! My brother is also looking for a classic 98, do you have any others for sale? He is looking for one that is ready to go without much restoring. He is still kicking himself for the Tropic Mist one in Tonawanda, New York that got away recently.

There is a really great looking one on ebay right now if any others are interested...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fully...ayphotohosting

Chris
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM

More 61 98s

Hi Chris, great am glad the car is in good hands. I can vouch for the condition of the Fawn 98 coupe that's shown in the link you sent. That car used to belong to my friend Mel; in fact I drove the car at that time (in the scorching summer heat with the factory AC working!). It's a solid car that's worth buying. Had some weak points such as the die cast chrome which was kinda pitted up, and the interior side panels were not so great. The paint is good, but it's a base clear job that doesn't look too authentic. So I would consider it a nice driver that could be show worthy with some tweaking.

Regarding a car for your brother, I do have another 61 98 that I would consider selling. I've only had this one for a little over a year, so I have not gone over it completely yet, but it's a really nice car to start with. Is a 98 Holiday Sedan (six window 4dr hardtop) with 31,500 original miles. I drove it from NY to Ft Lauderdale in November and it did great - it sits down there in a clean cool garage for the winter. It's a very rare color combo that is factory special order (is on the vin tag but according to the original documentation had to be special ordered) of white with twilight mist roof and stripe, and white trim on the deluxe hubcaps. Twilight Mist is a metallic silver/blue/purple color which is really cool.

Let me know if he has interest and I'll email you with more details and photos.

All best,
Alan
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:31 PM

That is very sharp! I bought a 62 last fall and I love it. It is not running right now, the battery crapped out and because it had 15 year old gasoline, it either is clogged in the gas line or I am told it needs a new fuel vacuum, the rubber on it is cracked. I am a wanna be motorhead, so I have so much to learn. That is if I can keep my two sons from talking me out of the car!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Moofinator
........ it's a 1961 98 Sports Sedan ........
Sports Sedan? I do not know that Olds ever used the term. Definitely not during that era.

What is the style number? You can find it on a tag, located under the hood, on the firewall, below the left wiper transmission.

My guess is, 98-3839, in which case, it would be a Holiday Sedan.

Norm
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Sports Sedan? I do not know that Olds ever used the term. Definitely not during that era.

What is the style number? You can find it on a tag, located under the hood, on the firewall, below the left wiper transmission.

My guess is, 98-3839, in which case, it would be a Holiday Sedan.

Norm

Hi Norm,

Actually Olds did use the term Sports Sedan in 61. It was one of the 3 different 4-door models available. Here is a pic of the literature back in 1961.

wb7885small.jpg

Down in the lower right corner you'll see that indeed it states that a "Sport Sedan" is one of the models. In the copy above the pictures at the bottom, it states that "There's the Sport Sedan to impart the spirit of youth in Ninety-Eight elegance."

I've seen the production #s online somewhere (can't recall the website right now) and it showed that just over 4,000 Sport Sedans were made in 1961.

I'll check the tag and report back what I find.

Chris
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Chris,

Originally Posted by ”Moofinator”
Actually Olds did use the term Sports Sedan in 61. It was one of the 3 different 4-door models available. Here is a pic of the literature back in 1961 ……..
OK, we see a brochure that was designed and printed by an ad agency. Need I say more?

From the left:

Style # 98-3819 = 4 dr Sedan.
Style # 98-3829 = Holiday Sedan (6 Window)
Style # 98-3939 = Holiday Sedan (4 Window)

…….. I've seen the production #s online somewhere (can't recall the website right now) and it showed that just over 4,000 Sport Sedans were made in 1961 ……..
The fact that you saw it online, does not make it true. Did the information come from Oldsmobile, an advertising agency, or from another site?

…….. I'll check the tag and report back what I find.
We will be waiting.

Norm
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ” Oldsfan”
…….. I am not a moderator on this forum ……..
What does that have to do with this discussion?

…….. I don't like your tone ……..
I am not aware I posted any kind if tone. If you would like to discuss it, send me a PM.

…….. Oldsmobile did in fact use the term Sport Sedan for some ……..
In that case, I would expect you to post Style numbers other than those I posted above.

…….. I don't have my literature in front of me to verify ………
Would it be out of line, to suggest that you verify your facts, before you post?

…….. I am guilty of incorrectly referring to them as Sports Sedans, too ……..
Incorrectly?

…….. The literature that was submitted was not just "printed by an ad agency." ……..
Would it be more accurate to say, Olds Marketing department wrote a check to the ad agency, who then put the literature together and delivered it to Olds?

…….. and, I believe, parts catalogs ……..
You believe? Does that mean you have not read them, or the FSM either?

…….. as evidenced by the car in question ……..
The car in question, has nothing to do with the origination of the ad copy.

Your image, however, shows an interior trim option, presumably in a Holiday Sedan. Did you verify your claim, by checking the cowl tag, as I outlined above?

On second thought, that trim, could, very well be, the cause of the ad agency’s mistake.

…….. Now, I believe someone is owed an apology ……..
What does that have to do with this discussion?

Norm
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM

Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to scan that in for me, I appreciate it very much. I'm sure I'll find it very useful as I delve more into the car.

First car show is tomorrow. It's gonna be cold, about 45?, but I think it'll still be fun with the easter bunny doing an appearance for the kids and everything. I've been looking forward to this one at a local High School to help with the school sponsored grad nite party. Keep the kids off the street, so to speak.

I did check my cowl tag today and it says 61-3839. Which I'm pretty sure makes it a SPORT SEDAN (no matter what others may/may not believe).

Chris
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM

…….. I've hopefully attached a scan of the body style #3839 Sport Sedan exterior trim illustration ……..
Thank you for the quick response, and for the information. I appreciate your taking the extra trouble to scan your source.

I will return the favor.

Seems, the parts book and the service manual are at odds.

Interesting, how much information a rational discussion can reveal.

Norm
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:06 PM

"Sport Sedan" was used as early as 1959

Norm, and all others...

I found out that Olds started using the term "Sports Sedan" as early as 1959. See this fun little commercial where they mention it... and no, I didn't just go out and hire some advertising firm to make this commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhcbVV7Unjs

Just thought I'd pass on the info.

Chris

Oh! I almost forgot to mention. That car show I took the 98 to weekend before last was a surprise! There were over 100 cars there in temps around 45 degrees or so. My 98 WON for best original (1949 - 1964)! There were probably 6 or 7 other cars that could have won, but I was shocked when they called my name and handed me a trophy

Needless to say, I was thrilled!
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:21 AM

........ A little confusing, to say the least .........
All were Holidays?

What can you tell us about the '51 98, style # 3967 (4 door sedan)?

The ad agency called it a Holiday. What did Olds call it?

Norm
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM

Romance was short lived...

I am selling this BEAUTIFUL 98 , see this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post13493

It should go to someone else that can love it as much as I could if I were to keep it.

Chris
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Moofinator
I am selling this BEAUTIFUL 98 , see this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post13493

It should go to someone else that can love it as much as I could if I were to keep it.

Chris
Well... dreams do come true...

I was able to pass the car on to a good friend of mine who I've known for years and he is a car collector too. I am positive that he will love this car and take great care of it, just as I would have. Who could ask for more?

It's local too, so I'll be able to see it occasionally and keep tabs on it too. I was able to work out a deal with him to possibly buy the car back in a year or two, so who knows... it may be in my hands again. But in the mean-time, it will be pampered and well treated!

Thanks everyone for helping with my questions and roller-coaster times over the last few months. I appreciate it!

Chris