my headlights arent working...

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2011, 06:49 PM

my headlights arent working...

hello i got a 84 98, ive checked all the fuses(none of wich say lights) and i cant get them to come on. the turn signals the emergency flashers and the parking lights come on but no headlights. i followed the wired and i dont see any frayed or broken wires....is there a fuse im missing?
any help would be appreciated

buster
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:09 AM

Surprize!

The headlight wiring goes through the dimmer switch...try that there is a breaker on the headlight switch which supplies power to the headlights...

Last edited by Yellowstatue; April 6th, 2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Hair trigger on Submit button!
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM

well the plug that goes into the dimmer swich is melted on the yellow wire
i could just get a new plug but i want to figure out why first...the plug itself is burnt where the yellow wire come in and about an inch of the wire is burnt bare
any suggestions?
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:07 PM

Dimmer switch shorted out - if you try it, unplugged, I'll bet it's jammed!
Keep it, and the carpet, dry.
Replace the switch, plug and wiring - good to go!!

i
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM

yeah the carpet was all wet under the mat...i diddnt notice because the mat was dry
now how far in should i replace the wires? im not too knowledgeable about car wiring
and the wires seem to go up into the firewall or somewhere up in the dash where i lose track. you think if i cut the wire well past the burned area then spliced on a new plug
id be okay?
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:36 AM

I would try to save all the good wire and only cut the burnt piece off plus a little bit more...
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:53 AM

And solder the new connector and wiring in place and use heatshrink tubing as insulation. Never use crimp connectors only and electrical tape for automotive repairs.
It is possible rockauto will have the connector, or a bone yard.
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:51 AM

so it was just the moisture that caused the problem? i makes sense because the roof leaks in the back and with the windows up it just evaporates onto the windows and drips down everything. im pretty good about keeping it dry but i just got it a couple months ago and the headlights were allready broken.
also i just got informed that a friend of the family runs a salvage yard but they just crush all the cars. said i can come out anytime and take whatever i want but its a small yard and they just crushed everything a few months ago but there constanly getting stuff...they might have a 98. i might grab some other stuff while im in there if i find one...might as well its free. thanks for the info it helps alot.
Old April 12th, 2011, 03:07 AM

While you are looking for STUFF, do you want an aluminum hood and hinges?? ( and trunk lid) check for that and also in the front left of the trunk there is a transformer that supplies power for your window pillar outside lamps...you might want a spare one... and the temp control unit is behind the glove box, screwed to the heater case...etc. etc.
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:43 AM

i dont have a trunk it actually a hearse....so you have any idea where the window pillar transformer might be? im asuming that anything past the front seat is different since they chop them up like limos. how do you turn on the pillar lights? and any suggestions of other parts i should grab please let me know.. even if i dont need it now it would be nice to have for the future if anything went out
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM

oh and how do i check the dimmer swich? i can see it up in there and i can reach it to take the plug out and i can see the plug is burnt... but icant realy see the the dimmer swich up close. it would be cool if just the plug needed to be replaced
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:16 AM

Try pulling the plug and put 12v on the headlight wire and see if they light up...tan wire and green wire..eliminate stuff, ...bit by bit...and the pillar lights ( guess what...they're called opera lights!) come on with the park lights, brown wire...I am working with an '81 electrical book and the opera lights are regular bulbs and so there is no reference to the transformer for the fluorecent bulbs.