Gas tank sender

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:46 PM

Gas tank sender

Can anyone tell me where to get or have my gas sender unit repaired? The car is a '69 Ninety Eight 4 door hardtop.

Thanks,
Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC08069.jpg (133.0 KB, 22 views)
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:32 AM
Lansing built

Try this company.
http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/services.asp

Pat
Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:51 AM

That's the same canister type I had on my '67 Delta. They're not made new. Getting it rebuilt is one way to go. I ended up getting one meant for a '72 Delta 88. It's not the canister type, but it was a drop-in replacement, and it has worked fine since I put it in about 4 years ago. I tried to repair my canister unit myself as it seemed that the only problem was that the float would get stuck on the shaft, but I could never get it to work reliably, and dropping the tank every ten minutes to get at it gets old real quick.

I got the replacement at rockauto.com, $60 plus shipping. Part #FG106A. Since this is a part that you never see, whether you have the factory-correct unit, a functional replacement like this, or a squirrel cage, no one will ever know. For me it would come down to cost...the cost of the replacement unit versus the cost of getting the original unit repaired.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
That's the same canister type I had on my '67 Delta. They're not made new. Getting it rebuilt is one way to go. I ended up getting one meant for a '72 Delta 88. It's not the canister type, but it was a drop-in replacement, and it has worked fine since I put it in about 4 years ago. I tried to repair my canister unit myself as it seemed that the only problem was that the float would get stuck on the shaft, but I could never get it to work reliably, and dropping the tank every ten minutes to get at it gets old real quick.

I got the replacement at rockauto.com, $60 plus shipping. Part #FG106A. Since this is a part that you never see, whether you have the factory-correct unit, a functional replacement like this, or a squirrel cage, no one will ever know. For me it would come down to cost...the cost of the replacement unit versus the cost of getting the original unit repaired.

Thank you. This is the best solution so far. I have to replace what I have as I have to move the car. However since the tank and sender looked amazingly clean I rinsed the sender with STP fuel cleaner and a 'basic' test got the in dash gauge to move....how accurate it is we'll see.
Neil
Old November 3rd, 2013, 12:27 PM

Put one these in my 69 98. While is does work the needle floats. I'm told the tank was made specifically for the canister type
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by drjimz
Put one these in my 69 98. While is does work the needle floats. I'm told the tank was made specifically for the canister type
Sure it does and sure it was, but what's your alternative when the canister type is not available? No fuel gauge at all?
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM

It is what it is!
Old November 4th, 2013, 06:52 AM

I will have to get the Rockauto unit....at least for now. Right now I keep an eye on the odometer as I tow a vintage Airstream trailer with it. The mpg varies a lot when towing. I have the same issue with my '71 Buick Centurion and it appears that the Buick's sender is the same. However, keeping my eye on the odometer is easier because it has a trip mileage indicator.

Neil
Attached Images
DSC07441.jpg (162.0 KB, 13 views)
DSC07506.jpg (149.2 KB, 11 views)
Old November 18th, 2013, 03:05 PM

I bought the rock auto replacement for my 68 98- fuel gauge floats all over the place. The original canister part comes up on ebay once in a while for aroung 100 bucks. USA parts claims to rebuild them for 250 minus 100 core deposit http://www.usapartssupply.com/olds.php
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:22 AM

Thank you for your input. I will not be surprised that there are no 'perfect' replacements. Yes, maybe a direct replacement or an original rebuild is going to be perhaps impossible. As I drive this great Olds I am getting to know better just what gas may be left in the tank by noting the miles driven. However when towing the mpg varies greatly because of the hills and mountains we drive here in northern California. I always fill the tank when getting gas but on the road it's a guessing game. I'm getting better as I get to know this car. It's been a few miles since running out of gas. I carry a gallon plus of gas for the generator we have for camping with our Airstream. It has come in handy twice. I hope whatever replacement I settle on at least tells me when the tank is at 1/4. My Buick gauge is defective too and it appears it's the same sending unit. What drives me nuts is that 2 years ago I finally junked 2 donor Buicks that had working senders!
Neil
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:28 AM

My gas gauge waves at me as I go around corners or up and down hills, too, but compared to the alternative of no gas gauge at all, I'll take it. When the car straightens out and the gauge settles, you know what? It tells me how much gas is in the tank.

I've seen NOS canister sending units on ebay, too, but not for $100. That would be a steal compared to the $350 or more starting bids I've seen. The problem, though, even if you're willing to pay that amount, is that there's not always one for sale when you need it.

I didn't realize that USA offers a rebuild service. It would be interesting to hear of anyone's experiences with it.

I've had the non-standard sending unit in my '67 Delta for more than four years now, and it has served its purpose just fine.