Electric windows

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:18 PM

Electric windows

My '65 Ninety Eight has electric windows. First the passeger side windows wouldn't go down. Now, none of them will. I find it unlikely the motors are shot. Anyone have any ideas on a) jumping the motors to make sure they are not the problem and b) what do I do next? Thanks a heap ~ Steve
rockhouse49@hotmail.com
Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Cruizin

When my passenger side window get's stuck, I have to reset the window and motor... apparently, it's somewhat dangerous of a job if you don't take the proper precautions.

Before doing all that, you might try disconnecting the switches and using contact cleaner on the points.

Mine is a 64, so not sure if it's the same.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:38 PM

i saw on a different post not sure if your car is the same or not but messing with the motors or maybe it was the regulators can be very dangerous something about the possibility of losing fingers or something! hopefully someone can help inform you of this so you can make sure to toy with it safely and without injury
Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Cruizin

Here is the quote from the manual:

Originally Posted by Junkman

Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
2 '66 98's

Before starting to mess with the motors, etc, just check for voltage at the switches. Be sure to turn on the key. It is unlikely that all the motors went bad. You will more likely find it to be the wiring or relay.
Old October 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Guys I gotta say I appreciate all your input. I haven't gone back out to do any of the above but "relay" was mentioned twice. Can you tell me where the relay resides? I know thus far there is power at the fuse block and I have an NOS 4 switch unit I tried but to no avail. I am convinved it is a singular problem, not a bad wire or switch, but...the elusive relay...Steve e

Last edited by steve e summer; October 4th, 2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: grammar
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:01 PM
2 '66 98's

The relay is hidden behind the driver side kick panel. You should hear it click when the key is turned on. The power leg feeding the relay comes from the circuit breaker on the outside of the firewall. It is fed directly from the junction block/horn relay. Very straight forward path to trace. You say you have a new 4-gang switch cluster but did you check to see if it was getting power?
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:15 AM

Great information. That's where I will start. And when I was checking the continuity at the fuse block I did hear a click every time I turned the key, only I couldn't identify where it came from. Since the problem began with the passenger side 2 windows, then magically, the driver side, is there more than one relay? I had an Italian car once that had (ridiculous) fuses for left side operations and fuses for the right...steve e
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
2 '66 98's

No! There is only one relay. The power feed to the windows splits and runs down both sides of the car. You may have a short under the floor mat that is taking out the circuit breaker. As a help, the circuit breaker is under the windshield wiper motor. It is black plastic with two studs with red wires attached.