Is this a 98 Vista?

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Tostitos

Is this a 98 Vista?

I don't know anything about Oldsmobiles, but this car has been sitting in a garage at the corner for years, ever since I was a little kid and would walk by and wave at the owner and his three legged rottweiler.

I live in the south, so I figure that either the old fella doesn't want to sell it, or no one is interested in it for some reason.

My pictures aren't very good. Sorry. I was trying to be stealthy about it.

Thought it would be wise to finally ask people who know about this sort of thing. I'm not sure that I want to try to buy it or restore it (lots of work, lots of money I don't have), but I would like to know more about it.

Old April 30th, 2007, 06:15 AM

What ever it is would be well worth checking into. Larry
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

The car is a 1960 Olds. Can't tell from the photos if it's an 88 or a 98. Engine will be a 394 with Hydramatic trans.
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Yes it is a 1960 and Im pretty sure its a 98 because it has the chrome divider in the tailights....I believe only the 98's had this....of course someone could have put 98 lights in an 88 too....Cool Car!
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:48 AM
Past Administrator

Buy it and then post pictures!!!!
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Tostitos

I only have $500, and no garage space. I wonder if it's in any decent shape inside?

Old May 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
Past Administrator

What if the owner would let it go for $100? One of those true "garage finds". That woud be cool.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:19 PM

It's got a full chrome bumper...it's just about got to be a 98. That would give it the 394 for an engine. Whether or not it's a good project for you would depend on a lot of things... If it's in relatively good shape and just some mechanical work to be driveable then it might be ok. If it needs a full restoration, it's probably not a good project given your budget and lack of shop. If it's been sitting for that long, you can just about count on it needing some things all cars need when they sit like that. Count on a complete brake overhaul...expect leaks from seals that have dried out. Gas tank often needs to be cleaned. A lot of times these things become home for small critters that chew things up like wiring... Interior and trim parts are just about impossible to find for these, so I'd make sure it's as complete as possible.

I have a '60 98, and I love it. Here's what mine looked like when I bought it back in 1995:

Olds-before-1.gif

Here it is after most of the exterior work was done:

New-Olds.gif

I've been working on this thing off and on for 12 years now. I'm still working on the interior right now. Please don't ask how much time/money I've got in this thing . Great car though. It's rare that I run into anyone that even knows what it is.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM
Tostitos

I've wondered about that, but this IS the south (east tennessee) and you'd think some car guy would have made an offer and gotten it if that were the case.

I also don't have the money to do it.. maybe the time, but I'm short on know-how. Even if I got it and put a lot of effort into it, it would never be a show car.

It is really different and unique, though. I wonder how much that engine could pull?

ETA toolbox that looks very, very nice. Excellent work!

Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:49 AM

Interesting. I've looked at a lot of '60s, and I've always used the full chrome bumper as an easy way to spot a 98. Check and see what you find...I'd be curious too.
Old June 11th, 2007, 04:47 PM

Olds in bush

Its a 1960 most likley a 98 . The taillite chrome divider, look like one does
one does not, at any rate try and buy it and resell to someone on the
Olds forum. Someone will want it ,at lest for parts
who cats