98 body off looking at bushing replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2010, 06:09 PM

98 body off looking at bushing replacement

Went kind of crazy this weekend,I had the car stiriped to the the fire wall and got thinking about removing the frame,so I thought I would see how hard the mount bolts were going to be,Well all but one came easy and that one broke off at the head.Next thing you know the the frame is on the ground and the body is on stands.The frame and body looks good no holes,the frame is rusted where the front right body mount sits,but nothing major.I plan to clean it all up and paint it.So now I am looking for a complete rubber bushing kit [front and rear suspension]and body mounts. Has anyone found such a kit or will i have to get separate kits for front-rear-and body mounts?
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Land Yacht Captain

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b.../?autoview=SKU
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM

What year is your 98? I did a frame off on my 76 and many of the body mounts were still available at the dealer.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:26 PM

It is a 73 LS,I have checked at the local parts outlets,$350 for the front control arm bushings! figure i could get a complete bushing set for thhat price with body mounts,or am i just wishful thinking.
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:49 AM

ok, I would think the '73 body mounts should be mostly the same as the 76. I did my frame off a while back but you may still be able to find them at the dealer. I'll try to dig up the part numbers for you soon. As for the suspension bushings, Moog parts are quality made and relatively inexpensive. You can buy or rent the tools to remove and install most of them yourself.
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:09 AM

I looked into summit they have the body mounts in a kit and have the control arm bushings in set of 2 for the upper and lower control arms,also they have bushings for the rear suspension but I only found one set for rear and I am not sure which arms they are for,upper or lower.I also looked at there brake calipers and master cyl price seems right.I was hoping to find a complete suspension bushing kit front and rear made with rubber but had no luck with that.So the next step is to make a call to summit and talk to a real person and order the parts,hopefully they can set me up with the correct parts.To day it's back a at the frame with the grinder with a wire wheel, and removal of rear axle/suspension.Thank for the help.Living the Dream

Last edited by greenslade; May 8th, 2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM

OK, sounds like you're making some progress. As promised, here are the part numbers I used when ordering my body mounts for my '76. I would think most are the same as the '73 but do your homework. Even if they're not exactly the same, they'll probably be more correct than Summit's. A couple of them were discontinued but I just used others that were available in their place. Good luck. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Body Mounting.jpg (52.5 KB, 22 views)
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Thanks John,I will check those numbers with the local dealer.Today i got most of the brushing done hope to finish it tomorow and get a coat of primer on it just going to use rust paint.I am not going for a complete restoration just want to preserve it and make it safe.Thanks again.Nelson
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM

No problem Nelson,

You don't have to go completely crazy with the frame and undercarriage. I went overboard and had everything sandblasted on my show car but on my other car, I've just cleaned and painted with POR-15. As long as it's got good coverage and maintained, it will look great and keep it protected at the same time.

John
Old May 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
2 '66 98's

For availability and price comparisons, give these guys a try - www.p-s-t.com or www.kanter.com for suspension kits. For body mounts, if you can't find the exact listings, use the dimensions of the original pieces and look through the Steele Rubber Products catalog for similar items. www.steelerubber.com Bruce
Old May 9th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Hey guys, I don't know about anybody else but the one and only time I ever used Kanter was a disaster. I was told all the front end parts I was ordering were MOOG and brand new. When they arrived they were some knock off brand and the center link was anything but new. They gave me a hell of a time returning everything and I had to go through my credit card company to get it settled. Maybe this was a one time thing but I just wanted to let you guys know about this experience.

John
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:46 PM

suspension kits

looking at those items at PST has any one tried them and how were they thanks OLDSMOBILE - Full Size, RWD 1971-92-Original Performance Front End Kit RWD 1971-92
SKU: OFEK00026
Year: 1973
Model: 98 OLDSMOBILE - Polygraphite Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Sets-Full Size PolygraphiteŽ Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Set 1965-92
SKU: GMPTA00453A
Year: 1973
Model: 98

Last edited by greenslade; May 11th, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM

still searching for body mounts,I would perfer rubber rear control arm mounts but cannot find them.