'72 Tiffany & Co. 'Special Edition' Ninety-Eights?!

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Question '72 Tiffany & Co. 'Special Edition' Ninety-Eights?!

Hi All,
I've been an OLDS FAN for a lifetime; especially the Big, Time-Honored FlagShips; the Ninety-Eights! I also have like the early 70s versions more and more lately; one thing I did NOT know until this year was the fact that in order to mark Oldsmobiles 75th Anniversary in 1972; they apparently made approximately 2,650 Tiffany & Co. Sponsored Ninety-Eight REGENCYS (This was the 1st time the Regency name was used!) It was a "Tiffany Gold" Metallic Paint color only and you could chose between 3 different colored Vinyl tops; Black, Covert Beige or White and only 2 color choices were available on the interior; Black or Covert Beighe.

Does anyone know where or how to find out more about these rare cars?? (How to VERIFY how many were really made in 1972?? etc.) I'd like to almost start a Database for these; I've been in the OCA for YEARS but never saw one before, heard of one, nor met anyone who had one...Are there any out here now?? I discovered a Gentleman in Illinois out there who has one for sale -- it has the Beige Vinyl Roof and I think the black interior... finding others is really difficult; but I seriously want to start tracking the VINs of these for prosperity and to help owners track/evaluate what they're worth, how are left, etc. etc.

I know I should check w/ some of OCA's "Model Year Advisors" too; see what they may know...

Thanks, ANY info. you have or pictures would be greatly APPRECIATED!
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:45 PM

According to "Setting the Pace," 2,650 Olds 98 Regencies were made in 1972. For a reason not given, no base price is listed. The base price of the most expensive 98 shown, the Luxury Sedan, was $5,159.

That production number was tiny compared to later years. In '73, 34,009 Ninety-Eight Regency Sedans were made with a similar number for '74 and over 50,000 Regency Coupes and Sedans for '75. For '76, the last year of that body style, Regency production reached just over 81,000.

Setting the Pace makes no specific mention of the Tiffany tie-in. It says only that Olds released the 98 Regency in celebration of Oldsmobile's 75th anniversary. The one pictured in the book has one of the color schemes you mention, the Tiffany Gold metallic paint with the beige vinyl top. The photo, thought, IS taken in front of a Tiffany & Co. store. I've attached a scan of it.
Attached Images
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Oldsdruid

Tiffany did not sponsor these cars. Oldsmobile paid them a royalty for use of the Tiffany name on the clocks, which are the only place the Tiffany & Co name is even seen. The interior cloth is specific to the Regency model.

They were the 75th Anniversary commemorative car and included a pair of "Regency 75th Anniversary" ignition keys that had a red starburst design background. Tiffany included a sterling silver keyring as their contribution, though I'm sure Oldsmobile paid them well for it.

Other than the special color schemes, Regency badging and Tiffany clocks, they were the same as every other 1972 Ninety Eight. Regency became the top trim level Ninety Eight in 1973, moving the Luxury Sedan down a notch and doing away with plain Ninety Eight completely. It was either 78 or 79 that the Regency Brougham was introduced, adding an even higher trim level. Then there was the 1979 LX, which put the Ninety Eight square in Cadillac territory.

Here's some Regency discussion we had in 2005 over on the AACA Olds forums:

http://forums.aaca.org/f136/1972-old...an-203347.html
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
It was either 78 or 79 that the Regency Brougham was introduced, adding an even higher trim level.
According to Setting the Pace, the Regency Brougham first appeared in 1982. Beginning in 1983, every 98 was a "Regency" something. That year there was the 98 Regency Coupe, Regency Sedan, and Regency Brougham Sedan. 1984 was the same. 1985 saw the addition of a Regency Brougham Coupe. 1986 was the same as '85. In 1987, things were cut back to three models, a Regency Sedan, Regency Brougham Sedan, and a Regency Brougham Coupe.

In 1988 a new version was introduced, the Regency Touring Sedan, along with a Regency Sedan and a Regency Brougham Sedan. All 98s were sedans in 1988, no Coupes. Those three models would stay the same for 1989 and 1990. For '91, there was the Regency Elite Sedan and a 98 Touring Sedan (no Regency in the name). For '92, '93, and '94 there was both a Regency Elite Sedan and a "plain" Regency Sedan along with the Touring Sedan. For the last two years of 98 production, 1995 and 1996, there was only a single model, a Regency Elite Sedan.

Yes, I know, that ran long, but, hey, once I got started, I couldn't stop!

By the way, 1984 was the last year that 98's came with a V-8 engine. After that, it was only V-6's for the rest of the model's run. This, of course, violated the car's name as "98" originally, going back to 1941, stood for a 90-series Oldsmobile with an 8-cylinder engine.

Beginning in 1985, the standard engine in a 98 was a 181 cubic-inch V6 putting out 110 hp. Optional engines were a 231 cubic-inch V6 at 125 hp or a 263 cu-in diesel putting out 85 hp. V-8s could still be had in an Oldsmobile after 1984, but only in a Cutlass, a Delta 88, or a Custom Cruiser. The last year that you could get a V-8 in any Oldsmobile was 1992, when one was available only in the Custom Cruiser, and 1992 was also the last year for the Custom Cruiser.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:32 AM

and there was a grandé in 86 I believe
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:42 AM

After that, it was only V-6's for the rest of the model's run.
Was there a supercharged V6 available in the 98s in the 90s similar to the one available in the LSS?

The last year that you could get a V-8 in any Oldsmobile was 1992, when one was available only in the Custom Cruiser, and 1992 was also the last year for the Custom Cruiser.
Wasn't the V8 in the 91 and 92 Custom Cruisers a Chevy V8? I think the last year you could get an Olds 307 V8 was in 90. Wasn't it?
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
and there was a grandé in 86 I believe
Not mentioned in Setting the Pace, but doesn't mean there couldn't have been.
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Was there a supercharged V6 available in the 98s in the 90s similar to the one available in the LSS?
Correct. According to Setting the Pace, sales of the 98 were falling fast in the early 90s, and Olds tried various things to revive them. A lower-priced standard Regency and a supercharged option for the Touring Sedan were offered in 1992. But nothing helped, and Olds folded the 98 on April 30, 1996. According to STP, "product planners had decided that luxury cars of the traditional stripe were part of Oldsmobile's past, not it's long-term future."

Over 4 million 98s were built over the 55 years of the model's run (1941-1996). Final year (1996) production of the 98 was a very puny 15,107. Sales had been pretty lousy in the years leading up to '96. In each of '94 and '95, about 25,000 were sold. In '93 only about 20,000 were sold. For '90-'92, sales were in the 50,000 to 75,000 range each year. Back in the '80s, Olds was routinely selling around 100,000 per year.

STP doesn't call out the supercharged option in the stats tables in the back. For 1992, it just says that the standard engine was a Tuned-Port Fuel-Injected 231 V-6 developing 180 hp, and there was an optional engine, which was the standard engine in the Toronado ('92 was the last year for that as well), which was a 205-hp version of the 231.

Wasn't the V8 in the 91 and 92 Custom Cruisers a Chevy V8? I think the last year you could get an Olds 307 V8 was in 90. Wasn't it?
Correct again! The man knows his land yachts!

The last Oldsmobile Rocket V-8, the 307, was produced on April 5, 1990. To quote Setting the Pace, "Though more fuel-efficient and reliable than ever in final 5.0-liter/307-cubic-inch form, the Rocket was simply no longer needed (ouch!). Chevy's similar 305 and 350 V-8s were now preferred by GM planners for the few rear-drive cars the company still offered, while Buick's 3.8-liter V-6 had become the mainstay for larger, front-drive cars, chosen by a BOC (Buick-Olds-Cadillac) Powertrain Group dominated by Buick people."

The "ouch" is my comment. It does not actually appear in the the book.

The Custom Cruisers of 1991 and 1992 came standard with the Chevy 305 which developed 170 hp. For '91, that was the only engine offered. For '92, because of complaints that the CC was underpowered, Olds offered the Chevy 350 with 205 hp as an option.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 12th, 2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Oldsdruid

I stand corrected on the Brougham. Had I looked it up instead of relying on the gray matter I'd have caught that. The SCO was laying right here at the desk too.
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM

I've always thought it would be cool to get a 90s Chevy B body and put a nose cone / grill from an Olds Custom Cruiser on it. Then you could swap in an Olds engine with aftermarket fuel injection and a manual transmission. It would be an Oldsmobile that should have been built. I've always wondered if this "dream" car would be better with fender skirts (using a 91 or 92 Chevy Caprice) or without fender skirts (using any other B body to 96 without fender skirts). Maybe someday I will make it happen...
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:51 PM
"me somebody" site member

I've always thought it would be cool to get a 90s Chevy B body and put a nose cone / grill from an Olds Custom Cruiser on it.
I recall reading about / seeing pics of such a project a few years back (no Olds motor, though). Didn't save pics, and also can't seem to find any reference on the net to it any longer. Was very cool and had a LOT of custom touches. Guy used the Aurora/Olds emblem, but tastefully (i..e in the right spots and not too many..I think he used them on the C pillars in the same spots used on the Implala SSs, also the header panel, and perhaps also the trunk). Also put buckets in it (can't recall for sure if it had a console, but I think it did as well). Also did something unusual with the headlights to make them resemble the small square ones used on the early 90s Cutlii.
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:33 PM

That is cool! Too bad it isn't accessible on the internet anymore.
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hangin' out...

I've always thought it would be cool to get a 90s Chevy B body and put a nose cone / grill from an Olds Custom Cruiser on it. Then you could swap in an Olds engine with aftermarket fuel injection and a manual transmission. It would be an Oldsmobile that should have been built. I've always wondered if this "dream" car would be better with fender skirts (using a 91 or 92 Chevy Caprice) or without fender skirts (using any other B body to 96 without fender skirts). Maybe someday I will make it happen...
X2. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks that would have been cool!
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:23 PM

confused - 88s were built till 99 - what did they miss?
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
there was - a member here

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...pictureid=2455

Old August 13th, 2010, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
confused - 88s were built till 99 - what did they miss?
What did who miss?
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:34 AM

Jeff, the pictures of that 86 98 and 83 Toro are nice!

It makes me think of the Lethal Weapon movies.

FWIW, the mid to late 90s 88s were decent cars, but they were just clones of the Buick LeSaber (3.8L engine FWD). Too bad Oldsmobile never built a full sized RWD sedan in the 90s.
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:33 AM

What did who miss?
I got confused between FWD 88s and the RWD that was never built
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Thumbs up

THANKS ALL!! Man, did I learn a TON here; all off one single post too! GOOD DEAL!! I NOW understand the whole "Regency" history and options...I'm SAD to say I never really knew the REAL history behind the "Name 98"....Series 90 Auto w/ a V-8! DOH! Obvious to many; but I never made that connection; was just huge fan.

GOOD scoop on the "75th Anniversary Cars" and I guess they did not make very many of them AND now I know that Tiffany & Co didn't actually sponsor the car per se; just did the Clocks inside and gave the Sterling Silver Key chains to owners; still pretty NEAT!! My research shall continue! I've found about 1/2 Dozen of these Rare Cars thus far -- going to try a database on them, their color/trim options, VINs, etc. I wonder how many "survivors" will turn up? It will be fun to see.

NEVER knew they tossed superchargers into our beloved 98s those fateful last 2 years either; I think it was a HUGE Mistake when they took them away from that Venerable V-8 Engine AND when the took it off the RWD Platform. (All the Traditional 'Old School' 98 BUYERS like my Dad and my Uncle Jack wouldn't take a FWD V-6 "98" as a gift!! )

THANKS again for all the input!
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Matthew Reader

1986 Ninety Eight Grande

I have a Grande. I've only run across two others. Apparently it was a one-year upgrade of a Regency (sedan only). It seems that it was a lead-in to the touring sedan.

It was nearly a $1200 upgrade. The equipment included was composite headlights (a first for Oldsmobile), special grille, Grande badging on front fenders and front door panels, and a completely different interior- it came in a single color: light driftwood beige, with loose-pillow seating in leather with pigskin inserts. This interior package omitted all interior plastic woodgrain and replaced it with a light driftwood beige on dashboard and door panels. A bench seat was not available, and instead two bucket seats were fitted with a LARGE console with a combination lock.

Hope this is some new information for some of you. I had no idea this even existed until I bought one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds 98 Seats.jpg (64.8 KB, 61 views)
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
"me somebody" site member

Saw an interesting variant on the big wagon theme yesterday at a local All-GM show ...this one a Buick Estate Wagon, a 92 (I think). This one had some very sharp billet rims with Buick tri-shield centers, buckets and a console (which I assume came from an Impala SS?!). It reminded me of the Olds/Impala carbash I mentioned earlier in this thread. Very cool car.

Old August 16th, 2010, 05:40 AM

That wagon is pretty cool! Lots of neat info on this thread. Sorry to hijack it though.
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:19 PM

Thumbs up

NO worries; lots of good info. throughout this thread!

Is the "Setting the Pace" book still in print or available?? (I think that's one I don't have....trying to learn all I can about these "Special/Limited Eidtion 'Regency's' from 1972.)

Thanks again All!
That wagon is pretty cool! Lots of neat info on this thread. Sorry to hijack it though.
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
Is the "Setting the Pace" book still in print or available??
Hell yes. Amazon has new ones for $23 and used ones for as little as $2.00 plus $3.99 shipping, so you can get one shipped to you for less than $6.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Pace-O...2131406&sr=1-2

I bought my copy through an Amazon seller. It was in good used condition. I think I paid $6.00 for it plus shipping.

If you want to go the "high-end" route, you can buy one from one of the advertisers in "Journey With Olds," Bill Sandy. He sells new ones for $40, shipping included. That price might seem high, but all of his copies are autographed by the book's authors (Helen Jones Earley, now deceased, who was known as "The First Lady of Oldsmobile" because of her long-time employment with Olds and her founding and long-time running of the Olds History Center in Lansing, and James Walkinshaw). Send a check to Bill Sandy, 2403 County Route 1, Westtown, NY 10998. His email is billsandy1936@hotmail.com

Even if you don't buy setting the pace from Bill, you might want to buy the smaller, follow-on book from him. It's called "Oldsmobile - The Last Chapter," and it costs $14.00, shipping included. Setting the Pace was written in late 1996 as part of the 100th Anniversary celebration of Oldsmobile in 1997. It includes production figures up through 1996. At the time it was written, of course, no one knew that Olds would be dead in 7 years. When Oldsmobile did die in 2004, the authors wrote this follow-up which documents the end of Olds, gives production figures for 1997 through 2004, gives the dates of final production for all the various models, and that sort of thing. It's 54 pages in length (STP is almost 500 pages) and is more like a thick magazine than a book.

While Setting the Pace is available on Amazon and other places that sell used books, I've not seen "The Last Chapter" anywhere but from Bill Sandy.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 18th, 2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old August 18th, 2010, 05:38 AM

That is cool info. I might have to pick up a copy of Setting the Pace.
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:04 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

I kept putting off buying this book...I'm going to do it this time... : )
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Danny Boy
I kept putting off buying this book...I'm going to do it this time... : )
At $6.00, how can you not buy it! Heck, I can find $6.00 just digging out the loose change in the couch cushions in my living room.
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

It is not the cost...it is my old age...I keep forgetting - until I read the next thread that has the book in one of the posts.

I'll be over for a beer tonight...never mind me digging in your couch while you go to the fridge. Or, if you want to save me the hassle, just leave the book out on the coffee table.
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:49 PM

http://www.adclassix.com/images/72oldsregencytiff.jpg

original ad
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by StickW31
original ad
Very cool!
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:25 AM

"Quite a substantial car."
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Smile 1972 Olds 98 Tiffany Limited Edition

I just inherited a 1972 Olds 98 Tiffany Limited Edition in close to mint condition with very very low miles as the car was my fathers “Sunday Nice Weather Driver” and has been in storage for approximately the last 10 years. This has the black vinyl roof / black interior color combination. The back seat may have been sat in a couple of times; it’s a non-smoker vehicle so the “three cigar lighter/ashtray consoles” have never been used. The trunk has also never been used and the carpets have been covered with a blanket. Has all the original Dealer Window sticker and purchase info.
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by PalmSpringsOlds
I have a Grande. I've only run across two others. Apparently it was a one-year upgrade of a Regency (sedan only). It seems that it was a lead-in to the touring sedan.

It was nearly a $1200 upgrade. The equipment included was composite headlights (a first for Oldsmobile), special grille, Grande badging on front fenders and front door panels, and a completely different interior- it came in a single color: light driftwood beige, with loose-pillow seating in leather with pigskin inserts. This interior package omitted all interior plastic woodgrain and replaced it with a light driftwood beige on dashboard and door panels. A bench seat was not available, and instead two bucket seats were fitted with a LARGE console with a combination lock.

Hope this is some new information for some of you. I had no idea this even existed until I bought one!
Just an FYI, I thought it was a Sedan only option until a few years ago. My parents had an 85 98 Regency Broughm coupe. Not too many of them running around so when I saw one on the street I always took a second look. While on a vacation at Walt Disney World in Florida, an 86 98 Regency Broughm coupe pulled up next to me at a traffic light. I took my second look and much to my surprise it had the Grande option and the emblem was right there on the front fender. I wish I had the camera ready at that moment but I did not. I have never seen another one.
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM

PDX, your car sounds pretty cool. Please post pics when you get a chance.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by PDX Guy
I just inherited a 1972 Olds 98 Tiffany Limited Edition in close to mint condition with very very low miles as the car was my fathers “Sunday Nice Weather Driver” and has been in storage for approximately the last 10 years. This has the black vinyl roof / black interior color combination. The back seat may have been sat in a couple of times; it’s a non-smoker vehicle so the “three cigar lighter/ashtray consoles” have never been used. The trunk has also never been used and the carpets have been covered with a blanket. Has all the original Dealer Window sticker and purchase info.
Wow, sounds like you have a gorgeous 98 on your hands. Sorry that you acquired it by losing your dad but it is nice that you have something that was obviously very important to him and now you have an appreciation for it. That is all we can really hope will happen with our cars when it's our time. Otherwise, the next generation will be the demise of the real classic cars. Enjoy your 98.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:15 AM

hey guys, I just stumbled upon this gorgeous Tiffany edition '72 98 Regency on ebay...wow, how nice is this car!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...0986c44b#v4-38
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by 76 regency
hey guys, i just stumbled upon this gorgeous tiffany edition '72 98 regency on ebay...wow, how nice is this car!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...0986c44b#v4-38
wow!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM

Hey guys, I just found another '72 Regency on Ebay. This one looks like it's in beautiful condition. Although the color looks a little bit on the green side vs the Tiffany Gold...maybe it's just the lighting? Anyway, it's a beauty and I wanted to share it with you guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/57K-O...5bc3d430#v4-35
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:06 AM

It does look nice.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:35 AM

Sweet

Quick Reply: '72 Tiffany & Co. 'Special Edition' Ninety-Eights?!