The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newb from the Beautiful White Mountains of AZ - 350 Engine ?

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2015, 08:08 PM

Newb from the Beautiful White Mountains of AZ - 350 Engine ?

Good Afternoon Everyone! So - I've only been trying to become an "expert" in oldsmobiles over the last week. I am an office geek - trying to learn engine lingo and olds talk. But your help would be greatly appreciated!

I have an '84 Buick Electra Park Avenue, and came stock with an Olds 307. Now, don't ban me, but I bought the car for $500 and turned it into a street stock dirt race car! It's great, and other than my wife, she is the best girl I've ever had

I had 2 glorious seasons out of the engine before I threw a rod. Not bad considering the only thing I did to the engine was put in an aftermarket cam. That being said, I'd like to move up to an Olds 350 now with a little more juice. I've been searching far and wide, and getting quotes, looking at craigslist, etc. I'd like to know what the best route to get this engine, and references if you have any.

I've got a price from Jasper for $3200, class I turn key engine (they won't tell me exactly what's in it). I have a price of $2600 from Carolina Machine Engines, for the long block. I plan on using my aluminum intake and carb from my 307, as those are near new condition. I'm not sure what "is" or "is not" a good deal. I'm looking to spend 2-3K on it. I'm looking for some aftermarket performance, like 20 or 30 over bores and an aftermarket cam. Our local machine shop and area cannot produce or even find, for that matter, and olds 350 to even rebuild. Excuse my novice engine lingo - each day I am learning more and more. Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2107.JPG (1.89 MB, 25 views)

Last edited by rpjr42; June 29th, 2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old June 29th, 2015, 09:41 PM

Welcome aboard! From the sponsors on your car it looks like you're in the Pinetop area. I'm not familiar with shops and such in that area but it you ever get down here to Phoenix I'm sure one of the AZ Ods Club members could hook you up with an engine.

Last edited by Fun71; June 29th, 2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old June 29th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, looks like a lot of fun. I guess if your trying to go cheap, Jasper engines would work. You got 2 years out of you last engine.
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:18 PM

2 years out of a 307 that was stock with the car and no work done to it, that was great for me.

Big issue I'm having is, being the first motor I'm buying, and no one locally, the trust factor is extremely low. I'm not looking dirt cheap, I would pay a little extra to purchase from a reputable source. And I'm not in need of a true "performance" engine - heck I could put the cam in it with my mechanic. With CME and Jasper - I have read some not so good reviews on warranty items, especially for people out of state, and having trouble from the get go (guess I could find that about anyone?)

I have no issue going to Phoenix, I am there regularly for work and family. If you have anybody or reputable places, please let me know by all means!

Here's one on craigslist - looks clean, fresh rebuilt. Called the guy a couple of times - seems like a good guy. But can't test it on a car - and $2,100 is a lot to throw at a motor and not know if it runs or not.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/5039356556.html
Old June 30th, 2015, 10:18 PM

Here's a link to the AZ Olds Club, there's contact info at the bottom of the page:
http://www.azoldsclub.com/

Send Jim an e-mail or give him a call - he knows all the Olds people and hopefully will be able to help you out.
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:21 AM
72Cutlass S

I have a freind that owns a light duty diesel repair shop. He uses nothing but jasper engines if an engine swap is required. He says they make a quality product and the support if there is a problem has been really good.